Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dealing with Lake Placid 70.3 cold temps
Quote | Reply
I know that LP has been cold the past two years and it looks like it will be the same this year with a forecast of High 59F/Low 37F.

I've done some equipment prep (Castelli Gabba jersey to wear over my trisuit, neoprene bike gloves, neoprene toe caps for bike shoes, arm warmers and a beanie to keep the ears warm) but what tips do those experienced with cold weather triathlons have to offer this 1st time 70.3 newbie?

I'm also wondering how you've handled the pre-swim wait and T1? Did you go ahead and do a 'warm-up' swim and then stand wet in 37F until you started or just skip the warm-up swim and stay dry? Any tips on not freezing after exiting the water? I know that LP has warming tents but I don't think that we will be able to change into dry clothes for the bike.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated especially from those who raced LP 70.3 last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with Lake Placid 70.3 cold temps [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tape over vents in helmet. Sacrifice a little time in T1 drying off a bit with a towel. Eats up time, but can help with how cold the air will feel starting out of the bike.

I have still warmed up for the swim in colder weather (please note I have not specifically done the LP 70.3, but have done other cold starts). The water will be warmer than the air and it actually will feel good. Yes, getting back out and waiting will be tough on face-hands-feet. But inside the suit felt better with a bit of water in there. Any chance you can warm up, then put on some thick "throw-away" socks while standing around for that last bit? Same thing with a throw-away knit hat and even socks over hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m still cold from hypothermia at Lake Placid back in 1984

😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_bike%3F)_P6723167/

Last year, I wore a simplehuman garbage bag underneath my tri suit for the swim and the bike. It helped a lot, even though I got a little warm on the swim. I then ripped it off when I started the run and dumped it at the first aid station.

Other wearables: Head liner, arm warmers, and gloves. This takes <30 seconds to put on in T1.

Most importantly, that garbage bag and your wetsuit will raise your core temp during the swim and you will start in a good place on the bike.

Good luck!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with Lake Placid 70.3 cold temps [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_bike%3F)_P6723167/

Last year, I wore a simplehuman garbage bag underneath my tri suit for the swim and the bike. It helped a lot, even though I got a little warm on the swim. I then ripped it off when I started the run and dumped it at the first aid station.

Other wearables: Head liner, arm warmers, and gloves. This takes <30 seconds to put on in T1.

Most importantly, that garbage bag and your wetsuit will raise your core temp during the swim and you will start in a good place on the bike.

Good luck!

to the OP-
Scott (sch340) was last years race WINNER. Consider a garbage bag.
I did and it helped immensely.

The 2017 winner, Jake S, suggested that you also 'embrace the cold' in last year's thread.

My RR from last year.
https://beginnertriathlete.com/...-view.asp?tid=552841
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the previous thread, I missed that. And I just packed a Hefty garbage bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a cheap pair of Nitrile coated work gloves worked better for the long descent than my Castelli full finger gloves. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/...e-568M/dp/B00P10U7N4

The rubberized front part kept the wind out and the heat in, plus there was plenty of grip and they are fairly aero lol. I will probably go with something similar again this year assuming the forecast temps keep dropping.
Quote Reply