Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Santa Barbara Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Add this race to next year’s calendar!
This race has been around since the early days. Not sure of the year, but I remember doing it before wetsuits were allowed. It was a 1/2 iron distance back then (probably the first).
What a great race! Beautiful venue! Very well organized! It is one of few independent triathlons that is still around.
Saturday is long course- 1 mile swim, 34 mile bike, 10 mile run. (Or aquabike).
Sunday they have a variety of sprint distance races.
As an I dependent race, they need more support to keep it going!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I did it in 81 or so, it has been a staple in CA for a very long time. Never really a pro race, but always one or two show up for a nice ocean front training day. Like Wildflower they had a year off last year, but now back and seemingly with some decent numbers. I had a few friends there, looks like it was a perfect weekend for all the races.

For me at least, it is that 10 mile run on sidewalks that is the killer, probably won't be doing the full ever again. 10k I could manage, and it would be closer to the other two events too, but I suppose tradition is winning that argument. I can still run a bit, so not quite ready for aqua bike yet, but see it had pretty good participation, so good for them..
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chose aquabike this year. On occasion it is fun not to run.
I really like the run course along the beach. The uphill through the neighbors is less fun.
Mike Shaffer won the aquabike overall. No surprise, great athlete and good guy.
Hope to see you there next year!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, I have 5 tiles sitting on my sink that I look at everyday that I have won as an AG'er, seems like I need a few more to fill my wall... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they don't give the tiles anymore... just beer glasses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had roughly 50% of the number of participants that they had in 2015.

It was quickly announced at awards that they need more early sign-ups to hold the event again next year
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, will have to get the word out next year to everyone around to enter something over that weekend. IT would be a shame for it to go away just because of numbers. Maybe being shut down for a time hurt this first year back, and it just needs this next year to get back to old entries.

Good news is that I believe it is the same owners, so unlike wildflower, they dont have a much larger nut to get to break even..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look forward to it every year.

I did the Aquabike in 2017 and again this year. I had a good time. I ended up 8th overall and won my age group this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to the year off in 2018 due to the fires, there is construction at the Cabrillo Bath House where check-in and the finish line are, so they had to run everything in the parking lot this year. It got the job done, but a very different vibe/atmosphere. I have been doing every year since 2004, started with the long course, but in recent years the Sprint Course. With respect to the Long Course, I'm okay with a longer bike ride at 34 miles, but that 10 mile run is too much for me. Was talking with some friends, they too agreed shortening the run to 6.2 miles would be a good idea.

It would be a shame if this race went away. I do it ever year. Even did it once when I had a leg injury and couldn't run, so I walked the run course

I will be signing up early for 2020, and will recruit others to do the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the long and sprint course combo, and had a blast. I would have to say the long course was almost equal to as challenging as a 70.3 distance due to the climbs. Then the sprint was an absolute blast. I had serious doubts hobbling out of bed Sunday morning but managed to loosen up enough to have a great race.

Highly recommended!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think I did it in 81 or so, it has been a staple in CA for a very long time. Never really a pro race, but always one or two show up for a nice ocean front training day. Like Wildflower they had a year off last year, but now back and seemingly with some decent numbers. I had a few friends there, looks like it was a perfect weekend for all the races.

For me at least, it is that 10 mile run on sidewalks that is the killer, probably won't be doing the full ever again. 10k I could manage, and it would be closer to the other two events too, but I suppose tradition is winning that argument. I can still run a bit, so not quite ready for aqua bike yet, but see it had pretty good participation, so good for them..

There is grass right next to the path for around 2.5mi, would get you close to 10k of pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is grass right next to the path for around 2.5mi, would get you close to 10k of pavement. //

IS the grass part on a escalator, or do you still have to run those miles?? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well at least they don't run you downhill for 1/2 a mile to the turnaround anymore :)

I have a treasured tile from my Clydesdale days... Missed this year as I was supposed to be blah blah no one cares. I've always loved the hometown feel of that race.

The only drawback for me (well two) is the open course to cars (Can't expect them to close that real estate) and the time I got stuck waiting for the train in Montecito....
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
They had roughly 50% of the number of participants that they had in 2015.

It was quickly announced at awards that they need more early sign-ups to hold the event again next year

MOVE THE DATE!!

I don't understand why almost all the good races in SoCal are late August to late September. If SB was earlier in the year (April, May, June, even July), I would sign up every single year. But because of the date, it never aligns with my overall schedule.

I honestly say this for all SoCal races. Move your races to earlier in the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Barbara Triathlon [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, the one time I did it the traffic was pretty annoying, I had to pass multiple cars on the left to stay competitive and this year the winner said he had to do the same thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well at least they don't run you downhill for 1/2 a mile to the turnaround anymore :) //

Ya, that used to be a depressing spot in the course, flying downhill knowing you had to U turn and go right back up! Must be more in the track homes now?

As for traffic, pretty much the same as most races I remember. Never really had closed courses outside of Kona, so nothing new there. Of course we used to train on roads with worse traffic all the time, so it was no big deal. Maybe all the new folks riding in their basements on Zwift will be a little panicky, but just slow down and pay attention. As I recall, there was plenty of room on the rural loop that got off the hwy to make any moves you wanted to, and coming back wasn't that bad until you got close to town..

I think the date is fine, but there are an awful lot of SO CA races around this time. But middle of summer is really busy, everywhere around here, so either very early spring, or late summer, just the way it is. And I think if they could ever get the nerve to shorten the run to 10k, that would bring in a few 100 more entires for sure, it would definitely get me back..

And bring back the tiles....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- they turn you left before the left turn with the descent, stays relatively level to the turnaround

- the course goes through some sketchy farmland. I’ve had issues with a few slow moving farm trucks that you have to wait behind or illegally pass on the left. And I’ve had cops tell cars to go thru in the Carpinteria area in front of me not realizing how fast we can close. I have been on very few totally closed courses., but there is usually a lane so you don’t have to share with traffic. There have been exceptions, Chattanooga 70.3 or wildflower or Silverman but traffic light out there

And that was all before Zwift was even invented.

I like the August date. It’s always been convenient and a good time of year for me
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 28, 19 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Long course before, however this year just did the Parent/Kid race and absolutely loved it!

My 9yr old daughter was so excited, nervous, anxious, etc. She was smiling the entire time and didn't take her medal off for the remainder of the day, she was so proud!

Anyone in CA or looking to do this race in the future, absolutely consider doing the parent/kid race on Sunday (500m swim, 6mi bike, 2mi run), it is awesome!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the stretch above Carpinteria has a stop sign that you need to very careful at. The police did a great job there this year. BUT you have to really think safety and not racing there.
I do not like the left turn just past there with on coming traffic. The traffic control there was great too, but I can see someone with there head down getting into trouble.
I figure I must take responsibility for my safety first. The race director emphasized it at the start.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were the traffic penalties given out for? I'm assuming 99% of people did not stop at the unmanned stop signs etc. Just those unlucky enough to go through one in front of an official?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not notice any unattended traffic intersections. Nor did I see any penalty.
The police waved me through stop signs (on the left of the cars).

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Registration for 2020 race is now open. With the demise of many tri's, I hope this one continues. I've been doing every year since early 2000's and would hate to see it suffer the fate of other races. I'm hoping I can continue to do their Sprint race into my 70's or 80's.

It's a great town and race. I encourage folks to sign up, and sign up early. If you know anyone who is thinking about doing a tri, their sprint course is great for a first timer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Goleta Beach Tri is also a must do. The swim is fun, the bike is crazy (not a smooth ride), and the run really lets you rip and see the competitors at several points. A bit crazy, but definitely one worth doing.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply