Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cube Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
I really like several things about the cube tri bike https://www.cube.eu/...low-carbonnred-2020/

1. Tubeless setup
2. Integrated hydration and storage up front
3. One chainring (My preferable gearing, since I'm light and can produce enough power I don't really use the small chainring in races ever)
4. Favorable wind tunnel data
5. Backing by solid pros (Raelert brothers)
6. Solid components

My understanding is that while some of these things are customizable on some bikes, normally they aren't when you buy it or you may have to pay more/use something that hasn't been tested as well.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have too many US dealers, and the ones they do have are more geared towards ebikes. I live in Wisconsin, and there aren't any that close to where I live.

I have a few questions -

1. Does anyone have experience with the bike, and if so what's your opinion on it?
2. Are there any tri bikes that would be sold in the US that would have the things I like about the cube tri bike?

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should be receiving mine in about a week. So I can give you my thoughts on it then. I opted for the 2019 edition with ultegra di2 to save me some money. I’m located in Illinois and was able to get a shop in Germany to sell to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've long been a fan of the brand but found it difficult to procure one.
The usual German sites. (where I've ordered trainers from) do not ship stateside.
I've never known dealers in the US but if you know of any that might be your best bet.
My only experience is somebody bringing one to be professionally assembled after they brought it back from Germany while on a road trip.
I used to manage the website for a local shop and saw the request. We're definitely missing out. They have plenty of choices at all price points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your criteria seem to be pretty generic. Most bikes can be setup tubeless and 1x if you want. Just go for the frame and build up from there. Pros generally ride what they're paid to ride or what's free.

Top of Mind:
Canyon Speedmax
Ventum One
Cervelo P5X
Specialized Shiv Disc
Scott Plasma RC
Felt IA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some digging around on aerium C:68 with the intentions to getting one. I'm in Vancouver and started with Cube dealers here. All said they can order Cube MTB's but not Cube tri bikes (strange i know). Finally found a dealer in Calgary that can order them, however they are a special "one off" order that comes directly from Germany with a waiting time from between 6-12 weeks. Then i asked about any potential warranty issues and was told the bike would be shipped back to Germany for an assessment and then action would follow that....a process that could take 8-12 weeks.

In the end i put the C:68 in the "too hard basket" and looked at other options. Great looking bike but not worth the headache of ordering (not mentioning ordering one sight unseen) and then potentially having bigger issues is something goes wrong. If you do get one please let us know how it turns out, would love some pix

Last edited by: sjc166: Aug 28, 19 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adaykin wrote:
I really like several things about the cube tri bike https://www.cube.eu/...low-carbonnred-2020/

1. Tubeless setup
3. One chainring (My preferable gearing, since I'm light and can produce enough power I don't really use the small chainring in races ever)
6. Solid components

Has Cube released any wind tunnel data? They talk about how they have tested and performed well in the tunnel on their website, but I am not aware of any published comparisons to other bikes.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jesus that's a nice looking bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
adaykin wrote:

1. Tubeless setup
6. Solid components

Has Cube released any wind tunnel data? They talk about how they have tested and performed well in the tunnel on their website, but I am not aware of any published comparisons to other bikes.

Perhaps I was confusing them with the company they use for their wheels, here's the data that I think I saw https://www.swissside.com/...riant=13017166086243

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
I should be receiving mine in about a week. So I can give you my thoughts on it then. I opted for the 2019 edition with ultegra di2 to save me some money. I’m located in Illinois and was able to get a shop in Germany to sell to me.

Have you had a chance to ride it and did it fit the way you expected it to?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've own a C:68 for a year now. And the overall experience is good. The bike is and feels fast. Stiff and strong. Only a complain, regarding the hydratation system. It is very (very) fragile, the littlest pressure on it will crack it. And it is very possible that if riding fast and going over a road bump or if the road is in bad shape, it will jump off the bike. The magnets that hold it to the frame are not that strong. Also, the top cover of the hydratation container does not seal it perfectly, so your water+gels/carbo will be getting all over the cockpit, front fork, handlebars, hands... a mess.
Bike frame: awesome.
Hydratation system: very low quality and it seems not to been tested at all in real road/riding conditions.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
I've own a C:68 for a year now. And the overall experience is good. The bike is and feels fast. Stiff and strong. Only a complain, regarding the hydratation system. It is very (very) fragile, the littlest pressure on it will crack it. And it is very possible that if riding fast and going over a road bump or if the road is in bad shape, it will jump off the bike. The magnets that hold it to the frame are not that strong. Also, the top cover of the hydratation container does not seal it perfectly, so your water+gels/carbo will be getting all over the cockpit, front fork, handlebars, hands... a mess.
Bike frame: awesome.
Hydratation system: very low quality and it seems not to been tested at all in real road/riding conditions.

Riding the Aerium C:68 now for my 2nd season and super happy as well. Stiff, super fast and looking great.
Regarding the hydration system: Never lost it at any ride and didn´t feel like it might come down at all. It´s not sealed perfectly, thus there is water coming out of it. However they updated the hydration system and the new one looks great. There is like a bolt which holds the system in place (in addition to the magnet) and the cover has changed as well so that no fluid will come out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one 4 months ago.
I used to have a trinity advanced pro
I'm very happy with the bike, I miss the etap, but for now I can't change it. I am a little anti shimano, it is incredible that the di2 system is so clumsy and cannot be configured in various ways.
Let's go to the motorcycle.
Very comfortable and with many configuration possibilities, I have size S, I could have gone with an xs.
The bike is very stable, at the beginning I felt more nervous than the trinity, but it had a much more aggressive configuration, now I feel it very fast, stable and firm.
I think it is a very versatile motorcycle, but personal opinion it works very well in flat, THIS is just a personal sensation.
The hydration system has a lot of debts, but apparently the new version is improved. I never had a problem with the system, I could say that maybe the recharge hole is very small.
I always carry a ribbon on the cover in case I wanted to fall, just once it happened to me and it was a pretty big well that surprised me.
Any questions or photos you need at your service.
Rafael

sorry my english
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the late response. I have only ridden it briefly to adjust the seatpost height. Had to change out the bb so I could put in my powermeter crankset and replaced the aerobar with drag2zero bars. First impression is that the frame is stiff. Well, everything feels stiff coming from a Dimond. I’ll probably get it out on the road in the next couple of days

It wasn’t tough getting it shipped from Germany via fedex. They didn’t charge me for VAT, customs duty was around $150 usd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have anything bad to say about the bike however your points 1, 3, 5, and 6 have nothing to do with the bike. There are literally dozens of bikes that would meet those criteria. As for pros "backing" them - they are sponsored. Again, dozens of reputable pros riding a variety of bikes. Integrated hydration and storage is where you start to narrow things down a bit but still have more than a few options. Nothing wrong witht he Cube if you just happen to like how it looks and/or want something that is relatively uncommon in the US. Juts make sure it's going to be a good fit for your position first.

adaykin wrote:

1. Tubeless setup
6. Solid components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got an hr in the new ride. Still gotta tweak the armpad placement once I get the Profile Design Race armrest kit. The pads that came with are just too wide and dont hold my elbows in securely. The hydration is shit. The cover doesn’t click or lock into place. I had to use electrical tape to keep the cover on securely. I’m not sure if Im gonna use it or just stick to using a bta as Im more used to that. I was surprised the ride wasn’t harsh. It was only an hr ride, but I was expecting a harsh ride coming from a Dimond.

It originally came with a shimano crankset. The bb is a bb86. Replacing it with a rotor 4130
BB was a breeze. Internal wiring looked organized and well thought of. The internal di2 battery is secured by in the bb area. Once my Rotor Inspider PM arrives, I will be replacing the quarq.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wj6WhjEieJpdTaLy7
Last edited by: astig: Oct 1, 19 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that picture, it looks like a pretty slick bike. Too bad about the hydration system, I would have thought they'd have figured that problem out by now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I bought the 2019, the 2020s come with the new style cover. I may just order a 2nd hydration bottle from the store for backup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did figure it out and that's why the 2020 model has an updated hydration system

Edit: btw cube stated in a FB post that the new hydration can be mounted on pre-2020 models
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Oct 1, 19 22:33
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both my brother and me ordered a new model Cube. He took the 1x, I took the regular SLT, so we will mostly have slightly different wheels although they are supposed to be almost the same. We both wanted something better than our current Canyon aluminium speedmax from 2015 (a few models ago and then already much lower spec than what Frodeno was riding). Preferably something we think looks good and that fits (both have been fitted before and have measurements to go by). Of course pro's ride what they are paid to ride, but the SwissSide connection does give a bit of credibility.

Good to know the hydration was updated as I originally wanted to check if the older models were still available to keep prices a bit lower, but I got a nice deal proposed just by asking about the older models. I currently use bottle cages (2 on the frame, 2 behind saddle) so BTA or some hydration system would both be new for me. Worst case I tape it up firmly and use as storage for pump and tubes. But I hope it does work and then just have to see if and where I can jam those spare things. At the moment the tubes are in a smaller bottle and the pump in my back pocket. That works, but I'm not sure I want to use another bottle cage and bottle if there are better options. How are you Cube people handling this?

Maybe at some point I get rid of the front derailleur as well. Living in Belgium and being a decent biker plus having survived things like Mortirolo on not recommended gears, I'm sure I could manage with a 1x12 system.

It definitely will be an improvement for us anyway and value wise seemed like the best deal available for me personally. When looking at options, if I were based in US I might have gone for the Tririg Omni frame and then built it up with sram force and some nice wheels. But the Cube setup already gives me that included and doesn't give me the uncertainty of import taxes and what not.

Looking forward to some gains from the previous setup. I figured there is at least a difference from just hiding the cables and going to a more high end bike. Anything between the most recent high end bikes is more details than this jump we are making.
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous. It was already a great bike. With the updated hydration and AXS, I agree that it looks like a hard to beat proposition. Especially once you consider the aero chops and just how damn sexy that bike is.
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will probably be removing the fd for IMFL to go 1x with 50t. I will be carrying a behind the saddle botte and maybe an aero bottle at the downtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
... replaced the aerobar with drag2zero bars.

You mean only risers & extensions? (as the basebar on C:68 SLT is integrated)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Cube Tri Bike [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
astig wrote:
... replaced the aerobar with drag2zero bars.

You mean only risers & extensions? (as the basebar on C:68 SLT is integrated)

Yeah. You’re right. I meant just the extensions. I kept the original risers and the tilt.
Quote Reply