Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless repair plug tools
Quote | Reply
with all the talk of tubeless at the moment i thought i'd give it a go. the bit i'm not sure on is what plug tool to get. i'd like something minimal in size/weight that can fit in my slim saddle bag. preferrably using standard bacon strips rather than proprietary design plugs but most of all it needs to work.

what have people with experience found best?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless repair plug tools [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used dynaplug. It works like a charm when/if it works. Kept it in until I got another flat that wasn't pluggable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to be the usual "Here's what I use, so you should too." post, but...

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/...less-tire-repair-kit

They are small and inexpensive and have worked for the couple of times I have needed one. I'm a bigger fan of keeping them taped somewhere for quick access vs. inside a saddle bag or pack. I have one insertion tool and a bacon strip attached by electrical tape on my mt bike and gravel bike. Generally you want to get that hole plugged before losing too much air.
Last edited by: dangle: Aug 28, 19 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless repair plug tools [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the dynaplug. Have used successfully 6-8 times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both the Dynaplug and Genuine Innovations.

They both work.

I prefer the Dynaplug though because the tiny razor included makes it easier to cut the bacon flush. And also the metal head does a good job at "anchoring" the plug to it won't slide out. And the punch tool is of higher quality. I bent my GI one by being slightly off-axis while punching through.

Just as a side note - remember to cut off the metal heads if you end up having to put a tube in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
with all the talk of tubeless at the moment i thought i'd give it a go. the bit i'm not sure on is what plug tool to get. i'd like something minimal in size/weight that can fit in my slim saddle bag. preferrably using standard bacon strips rather than proprietary design plugs but most of all it needs to work.

what have people with experience found best?

I use a GI tool with either the GI "bacon strips" or ~2" lengths of cotton butcher's cord from a roll I bought at the hardware store (lifetime supply).

I just picked up one of the GI "Tubeless Tackle Kits", which keeps everything in a self-contained package. Just add either a small pen-knife, or tiny nail clippers to clip off the ends of the bacon or cotton cord after insertion.

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/...-tubeless-tackle-kit

I've found that giving the tool a 90-180 degree twist before removing from the tire helps to create a loop in the inserted end that goes a long way towards preventing the strip/cord from being pulled out accidentally prior to the sealant "coagulating"...and after the sealant works on it, basically forms a ball on the inside of the tire completely preventing it from pulling out later.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless repair plug tools [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
I've used dynaplug. It works like a charm when/if it works. Kept it in until I got another flat that wasn't pluggable.

Is it possible to insert more than one dynaplug into a large hole/cut?

If not, then that's one advantage of the GI tool, either used with strips or cotton cord. I've had holes that require 2 or 3 cords inserted to get it to plug...not an issue doing so with the GI tool.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless repair plug tools [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know some (and it was recommended to my by my LBS) that get larger strips at an auto parts store.

I got a 12p size hole on my first ride on my new cx tires and two strips weren't enough so I'm going to have to boot it...that's the frustrating part of tubeless for me. Happened years ago on my Hutchinson road tires as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry Dynaplugs when racing (they have a race tube) and the GI when I'm out training. I don't carry tubes when racing.
Quote Reply