Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA!
Quote | Reply
Storm the Fort
Kingston, TN
8/24/2019

I like reading the race reports of others, so thought I'd put my own together for a change.

Pre-Race
I took Friday off from work and came down to TN from IN on Thursday night. My wife wanted to travel with the 2 kids during nap time and I had to work pretty much a full day Thursday, so we took two cars which ended up working out well. It felt ridiculous to take two cars but we had plenty of room for all of the tri stuff, kid stuff and baby stuff. Were also able to bring home some extra junk post-race. I got to my momā€™s house around 8pm in time to read bedtime stories and tuck my daughter into bed and then I went to sleep as well.

Friday, I slept in while my wife went out for her long run. I woke up around 8 (I canā€™t remember the last time I slept this late) and went for a short 20 in bike with a 10 min run. Training/tapering had felt pretty bad over the last week, so I was glad that this short brick felt good. The rest of Friday was spent doing the obligatory family visits (stepmom/grandmother). Ate a small dinner, packed the car for the morning and got to bed early.

Woke up around 5 on Saturday after a solid 8hrs of sleep feeling pretty good. Ate my typical 3 packets of instant oatmeal w/ peanut butter and hit the road for the ~30 min drive to the race. Transition was fairly empty when I got there and packet pickup was quick. Set everything up, ate a granola bar and banana about an hour before the start. Got a quick swim in and had a gel about 15 mins before we started.

Swim
Water temp was 81, so swimskin it was. The course was two loops of an elongated rectangle. Race was sent off in 2 waves, all men and then all women+relays. The menā€™s wave was ~70. The cannon fired and we were off. The first couple of hundred yards was mildly crowded but thinned out pretty quickly. At the first turn, I could see saw a small pack ahead, but no one immediately around me. I tried to put in a couple of minutes of harder effort to see if I could bridge up, but to no avail. Realizing I was going to be swimming alone, I settled into a steady effort and just got to the end. Came across the mat in 8th out of the water and 6 minutes back, but didn't know this at the time. I was happy with this considering the lack of wetsuit and no crowd to draft off of. My wife, my mom and 3 yo daughter were waiting for me at the swim exit and cheered me in into T1 which was great.

35:51.7

https://www.strava.com/activities/2648419247

T1
Uneventful. In and out. Still in 8th place.

Bike
Right out of T1, I passed a couple of guys and then tried to settle in. Race plan was to target 215-220 NP and keep most of the hills below ~260. With the first big climb right out of T1, NP was up to 250, but I knew it would be high to start and take a few miles for the averages to come down. I could see 2 guys ahead of me and at about 10 miles in, I was passed by 3rd. I was able to keep him in sight for a while, but kept telling myself to ride my own race and let him go. I know Iā€™m a better runner than biker, so had to keep telling myself that Iā€™ve got a chance to catch him on the run. At this point, I knew there were at least 3 people are ahead of me, but didn't know how many more. A little while later, I caught sight of a 4th, so I knew that Iā€™m at least 5th. At 20 mi, I see my support crew along the side of the road. My wife yells at me that Iā€™m 3mins back with 4 people ahead of me. The course was an out and back and a couple of miles before the turn around, I pass 2 more guys, moving up to 3rd on the road, and then promptly get chased by 2 dogs. I later heard that they bit one of the racers. Coming back in, my wife tells me Iā€™m now 3:30 back on the lead. I'm thinking that's not too bad and I lost less time than I was expecting. From then on, it was fairly uneventful. I couldnā€™t see anyone ahead or behind me. Just concentrating on biking within my limits and saving energy for the run. On the final climb, Iā€™m passed one more time with another guy closing in and the 3 of us enter transition pretty much together.

2:27:47.8
22.4 mph
AP 215, NP 227

https://www.strava.com/activities/2648424128

T2
Fast T2. Flying dismount, rack quickly, shoes on, grab my hat w/ belt and banana in it and start running. Passed 1 guy in transition. My wife lets me know I'm in 3rd place coming out and about 5 minutes back of the lead.

Run
Immediately out of T2 Iā€™m passed by a guy like Iā€™m standing still. Heā€™s probably going <6 min/mi. My first mile clocks in around 6:20 pace; I know thatā€™s not sustainable for me, so I try to rein it in to something more manageable. It must have been too fast for the guy that passed me as he slowed down as well. A couple of miles in, I pass him and then shortly after pass another guy; I'm now into 2nd. By this point, Iā€™ve settled into a 6:40-6:50 pace and clicking through the miles feeling pretty good. As I'm coming past the playground after the first out and back section where my wife, mom and daughter are now camped out, I get a high 5 from my daughter and update that the gap is now down to about 2.5-3 minutes. Thatā€™s closing a lot faster than I expected. The thought of wining overall was dim possibility at the start of day, but it was starting to sink in as a real possibility. Further on, I get some encouragement from oncoming runners that the leader is just ahead and catchable, but I canā€™t see him ahead. As weā€™re going around the hills at the fort, around mi 5.5, I catch my first glimpse of him. I'm slowly gaining on him until we pass transition for the start of the 2nd lap where I make the pass. Average pace to this point is right around my target of 6:45/mi. Knowing I'm in the lead now, I rein it in some more trying to keep something in reserve in case he finds a second wind or someone else comes up from behind. At least that was my thinking at the time. In reality, 6:45s was probably unsustainable based on how I felt at the end of the run. Coming back by the playground on the 2nd lap, a glance back shows Iā€™ve created a pretty good gap on 2nd place, so I stop and give my daughter a big sweaty hug. Over the last couple of miles, I keep checking behind me, but never see anyone coming, so keep on cruising at that easier pace. My 2nd half averaged about 40s/mi slower than the first. The race finishes inside a reconstructed civil war fort on top of a hill. Coming in, I see my daughter waiting for me at the entrance to the fort and hear her yell ā€œDaddy Iā€™m going to run with you!ā€ She then starts sprinting towards the finish line and we cross together to celebrate the win!

1:27:44.5
Average pace 7:04.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2648419329

Overall time
4:33:20.6, a 70.3 PR even when you adjust for the short run (12.4 mi) and mildly short bike 55.3).

Post Race Thoughts

My support crew was fantastic all race long. I know spectating tris can be extremely boring, but they were out there the whole time cheering and giving updates. They kept popping up in places I didnā€™t expect to see them like on the bike course or so many times on the run. It really helped me that they were so engaged. This is on top of all of their patience throughout all of the training.

I grew up in the area, so I donā€™t know why I ever come back to race in east TN and expect anything besides a hilly bike and/or run course, but every time I get caught out on exactly how hilly itā€™s going to be. I knew there was going to be a reasonable climb to start the bike and 2 more coming right at the end, but this whole course was constantly up and down rollers and I underestimated their total contribution. Same for the run. Strava is showing almost 900ft of elevation gain; Garmin had ~650. This is probably the most challenging 70.3 course Iā€™ve done, especially w/ the brutal climb around and up to the fort at the finish. I'm glad the weather wasn't as hot as it could have been or it would have been much worse.

Speak of the weather, it was about as perfect as can be for a late August race in TN. Air temp was low 70ā€™s and it was overcast for most of the morning. It was humid, but not oppressively so until after I was done.

I really like these smaller 70.3s. Starting the day, I knew anything from a top 10 and an AG podium to the overall win was a possibility depending on who shows up. To come home with the overall win was a fantastic experience. I know Iā€™m reasonably fast, but Iā€™m not nearly fast enough to have this same kind of racing experience in bigger races. During this entire race, I genuinely didnā€™t believe I had a chance at winning until I passed the lead runner at the end of the first loop of the run course. The passing and back and forth and changing pacing decisions that come with actually racing others make things a lot more fun than just time trialing and just seeing where you stand at the end.

Race Day Events puts on a great event. Everything is top notch from the challenging course to the well stocked aide stations (on the bike and run), swag (sweet defeet socks), post-race food (pizza, sandwiches, pasta salad, fruit, coke, powerade, even chicken wings!) and awards (cannon ball trophy and unfermented champagne celebration!). Even better that the race was only $80! Itā€™s everything youā€™d want in a race without all of the fluff, multi-day commitment, jumping through hoops and high costs that come with WTC events. I can't recommend this race enough.

I noticed afterwards that the run was about 0.7 miles short at 12.4 mi. Same with everyone one else on Strava that I looked at. Looking back at the course maps online, it was a bit short by design, but we were supposed to turn left onto the track just before the fort and run most of a lap before continuing up to the fort. The turn was unmarked and everyone turned right and took the short way across. This would have added back about half of that missing distance.

They really went all in for the fort/cannon theme. Socks, shirts and medals were all covered with cannons. The awards were cannon balls (OA) and cannons (AG). The fired a miniture cannons for all of the wave starts.

While Strava stalking, I also noticed a couple of references to Slowtwitch. If you were there, say hello!

My next stop is Toughman TN/Atomic Man in October. If youā€™re there, stop by and say hello. Iā€™ll be in the bright blue and orange Tri-812 kit.

~Matt
Last edited by: mgreer: Aug 26, 19 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA! [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice race report. I have done both those races (before the name was changed from Atomic Man to Toughman) and they are both fun courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thrill of victory! You put it all together!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed your report - congrats on the win! As a perpetual BOPer I am in awe of all you speedy people, so it's nice to read that you're mostly human too. It's great that you were even able to get in a big, sweaty hug!

Thanks for your support of local, independent races. Like you said, the experience is just.... different.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA! [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a great little race. You always risk a low support level when you do the small races, especially long course, but Storm the Fort was run very well with plenty of aid stations.

It can be hot, but sounds like you caught a nice day this year.

Congrats on the win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. I was there. Caught you on the bike and asked you if you were Robert. Also, I think you yelled out about dogs to me on the out and back so I appreciated that. I was trying to find another slowtwitcher there who I knew would be towards the front. You had a great run! Yall took of out of T2 flying and I tried to settle into something close and hoped yall would slowdown and you kept pulling away. Good luck at toughman.

As far as the race/event, it's a great one. Challenging bike and run. Some nice swag for an inexpensive race and great food post-race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your cadence seems kind of high on the bike. Average is 97? Meaning quite a few spots over 100. Do you think there may be some added spin fatigue in your cadence, and you may be more efficient at a lower cadence, say 85?

Edit: Very nice job on the OA win though. Congrats.

- Jordan

My Strava
Last edited by: Masnart: Aug 28, 19 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA! [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never really thought about it. Looking at my ride history, my indoor rides are generally around 85 rpm, but my outdoor rides tend to be 90+ with my races being 95+. I've got to go back 3 years before I find a race <90 rpm and I was much slower then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, very interesting. Just something I noticed.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt - very awesome job. I was 3 minutes behind you there to take 2nd. Awesome Race report- Iā€™ll get mine up soon as well.

That first mile out of T2 was a mistake on my part. My watch was frozen transitioning from T2 so I was just running on feel- when it finally started working, I was putting down a 5:55 mile pace. I felt good, but I knew that wasnā€™t going to happen. You and I were in 4th and 5th though, and my goal was top three, so I figured I had a little push in me. Definitely should have paced it better though.

You up for a rematch next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA! [AlexFuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexFuller wrote:
You up for a rematch next year?

I could be convinced. Itā€™s a convenient race for me with my mom living close by and right now the only thing on my race schedule for next year is Steelhead in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha- either way- better chances for me šŸ˜…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
....from the Womenā€™s 1st Overall. šŸ˜
It was a great race. Love the awards!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report - Storm the Fort Half - 1st OA! [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Congrats!
....from the Womenā€™s 1st Overall. šŸ˜
It was a great race. Love the awards!

Congrats to you too!

Seems like there were quite a few twitchers there. At least 5% of the 70.3 race has chimed in on this thread already. I wonder what the normal percentage is.
Quote Reply