Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training breakdown for newbie, good swimmer, S**t runner
Quote | Reply
So at the beginning of the summer my wife challenged me to a triathlon. I am fat and out of shape, swam competitively growing up, raced bikes about 12 years ago so figured I'd give it a go and see what happened. I'm a teacher, so summers off which allowed me to pretty much train as much as my body would let me. I had a few focuses during the 8 weeks or so of training before the tri. I used the swim and bike to develop my aerobic engine, and trained the run to slowly build up enough of a base that would allow me to run the 5k. So basically no run intensity to keep from getting hurt, and all the intensity came from bike and swim workouts.

We completed the tri yesterday and I had a blast. It was a .4 mile swim (maybe a little shorter, was supposed to be .5 but they shortened it because of a lot of waves/chop). Time was 11:41 (~1:40/100y) and the 41st/507 swim spit. Bike was rolling and averaged 18.5 for 70/507, felt decent the whole way, kept something in reserve for the run but probably could have pushed a little harder on some sections (NP for the 24 minute effort was 235), the run sucked like I thought it would. There was about a 1 mile climb that was horrible for me and I walked for maybe a minute 3/4 of the way up, that was the only time I walked and I had a 28:40 minute 5k split that was where I figured I'd be, but was 312/507. Overall time 1:08:29 for 109th overall and 1st in open clydesdale (I'm 6'2 and 225). Overall I hit my goal of where I thought I'd be if everything went well, and I had a blast. See lots of room for improvement on the run and bike and would like to give this sport a go next season, and probably focus on olympic distance (no longer than that for certain)

So here's my questions, 1. My swim is solid and I feel like my time could be better spent improving the other two disciplines, how many yards/days would you do if you just wanted to sort of maintain your swim ability? 2. I am a terrible runner, zero background in it and am heavy. I'm working on the heavy part and my biggest goal for the next half a year to 10 months is to lose the fat, so if that is the goal, will just simple base running, slowly trying to increase distance while keeping injury free be the way to go about it? I figure time will come off just from getting lighter and having a better aerobic base. I feel like I can get my intensity from the bike with healthy doses of threshold and sweet spot work during the winter and then ramping things up next spring before races. I am a little worried of trying to do too much, too fast and burning out, getting hurt, losing motivation all while trying to drop from 225 --> 185 or so (maybe not that low by next season).

So to sum up:
How bad of an idea would it be to swim 2x a week (focus on getting endurance to be able to swim 1.5 k at a decent pace), run 3-4x/wk almost all just slow pace with very little intensity, and do a trainerroad sweetspot base program through the winter (Oct-Mar) all while trying to lose ~1 lb/wk? If it was you in my shoes, how would you do things differently?

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Last edited by: gregkeller: Aug 26, 19 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Training breakdown for newbie, good swimmer, S**t runner [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also I’ve got work starting back up again in a week and I’m going to have to become a morning person. I’ve realistically got time for 90 minutes per day mon-fri and a little more on the weekends. I don’t think I actually could handle 11-12 hrs a week right now but that would be the most I could possibly set aside for all training including a little weight/core stuff

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Re: Training breakdown for newbie, good swimmer, S**t runner [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd simply focus on frequency with all of it being at an easy intensity (look up BarryP training plan - very simply but effective). You are the beginning of the fitness curve with lots of room for improvement from simply focusing on aerobic efforts. Give it lots and lots of time (years) before focusing on intensity.

Btw, you are in the exact spot I was in back in 2006 when I got started. Good swimmer, decent biker and horrible runner. My first sprint race I was the 10th swimmer with a 1:35/100m pace, middle of the pack on the bike with a 20mph, and nearly last with a 32min 5k run. I ended up 35th in the age group. At the same race the following year I was 14 mins faster, ended up 7th in the age group with most of that gain coming from run improvements following the plan described above and that was before I even knew about the BarryP plan.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. Btw, when I started I said I would be sticking to sprints and Olympics. Within a year I had added a half ironman and then an Ironman the second year. Nine Ironman's later I finally "retired" from the sport back in 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Training breakdown for newbie, good swimmer, S**t runner [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at that barry P plan. I took things pretty easy this summer for the most part because I wanted to get in the habit of training almost every day. I really like being able to spread the training load across the three different disciplines. The thing that drive me away from bike racing was all the hours it took on the bike just to get back to prior levels of fitness year after year was mentally exhausting. At least with tri, I can spread that workload with different activities.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at that barry P plan. I took things pretty easy this summer for the most part because I wanted to get in the habit of training almost every day. I really like being able to spread the training load across the three different disciplines. The thing that drive me away from bike racing was all the hours it took on the bike just to get back to prior levels of fitness year after year was mentally exhausting. At least with tri, I can spread that workload with different activities.

If you have access to a treadmill, this machine is excellent for controlling your pace, which allows you to run more mileage. Don't be afraid to run as slow as needed to keep your HR under 70% max, and then you should be able to build up your mileage gradually w/o injury. Eventually you'll get to running faster as you build your running legs and as you lose weight. I was a "pure swimmer" also pre-tri and know the pitfalls of trying to run too far too fast before the legs are ready for it. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Training breakdown for newbie, good swimmer, S**t runner [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've actually done most of my training on the treadmill because I like to be able to control the pace. I started at the beginning of the summer with couch to 5k, just to slowly work into it. By week 5-6 I was comfortable enough to run 5k on the treadmill and from that point on (about 5 weeks ago) I switched to more of just base runs, using the Daniels formula to figure out pace using 27 minutes as my 5k time, which is what I felt I could do in a 5k race without the swim and bike infront of it. Those paces felt very comfortable, and HR stayed inline with where it should of. Considering I went ~28:30 at the end of the tri, I think I was pretty close to guessing my fitness at that point.

I read the BarryP plan stuff last night, and it seems to make a lot of sense. I just don't know how much I'm gonna want to run 6 days a week :)

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running requires a much more consistent and steady approach to build fitness than swimming or cycling. Intense running sessions are a recipe for injury which is why plans like BarryP tend to succeed especially if done in combination with high intensity swim and bike sessions.

On the flip side once you get into good running shape it becomes a very time efficient way to train. I don't believe there is a more efficient use of training time than a threshold running session. Within 60min you can change, run, and shower which just can't be done if you are cycling or swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
I've actually done most of my training on the treadmill because I like to be able to control the pace. I started at the beginning of the summer with couch to 5k, just to slowly work into it. By week 5-6 I was comfortable enough to run 5k on the treadmill and from that point on (about 5 weeks ago) I switched to more of just base runs, using the Daniels formula to figure out pace using 27 minutes as my 5k time, which is what I felt I could do in a 5k race without the swim and bike infront of it. Those paces felt very comfortable, and HR stayed inline with where it should of. Considering I went ~28:30 at the end of the tri, I think I was pretty close to guessing my fitness at that point.

I read the BarryP plan stuff last night, and it seems to make a lot of sense. I just don't know how much I'm gonna want to run 6 days a week :)

Just tell yourself that you going to run at least 2 miles every day, 7 days/wk, no matter what. Run as slow as you need to but get in at least 2 miles on the TM every day. After a few weeks or months, you'll find it fairly easy to build your weekly mileage. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 27, 19 11:36
Quote Reply