Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 26 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 26 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal last week was an outdoor long run, which I did. Unfortunately, I'm in meltdown mode right now as a niggle that I had been managing started to feel a lot worse after that run. It was fine on the bike but sore this morning. So, I did a short run and got a dr's appt for tomorrow. I am proud of myself for limiting my run distance this morning. I suspect that cutting down on run mileage and some physical therapy will fix this. I can't pinpoint exactly what caused it; my L glute definitely is weaker than the R one, and I suspect it's a combination of mileage (DUH) but I also, ironically, probably overdid the hip exercises I've been doing to try and fix it.

One big win last week was donating blood on Wednesday! My iron levels are somewhat capricious and I was really excited that they were good enough to donate. My other big win is that I am on... wait for it ... day 18 in a row of using healthy coping skills instead of the unhealthy ones (so 17 days in a row completed and today is 18). This is my longest streak in a really long time of the good part of my brain winning :-)

Anyway, last week was
M: 5.4 mi run + 2625 yd swim + lift
T: 5 mi run + 575 yd swim + 9.3 mi bike
W: 8.2 mi run
T: 3 mi run + 575 yd swim + lift
F: 8.3 mi run
S: 12.2 mi run
S: 34.26 mi bike

totals 3775 yd swim + 43.56 mi bike + 42.1 mi run

goals this week: limited running. Be on day 25 next week :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay for iron count and for healthy coping mechanisms, Dr. TC! Those are both huge and awesome things. Sorry about your niggle.

I spent most of last week in Las Vegas for work. It was... quite something. I've never been anywhere where it was over 100 degrees at 9 o'clock at night before! I'm glad I got to go (even if I spent most of my time in the Mandalay Bay conference center), but I am beyond happy to be back in Maine. The time difference was just enough to completely screw me up, so I got home midday on Friday and pretty well crashed. Did no actual exercise while I was there, but walked a tonne and managed to lose 4lb by sheer dumb luck.

Saturday my husband and I went to the IMME 70.3 expo and then to a party for my LBS Tour de Cure team, which was nice (I am a Red Rider, so it's kinda my thing). We stopped by the bike shop and accidentally bought a new bike for Mr. UK2ME. It's amazing how that happens - we only went in for a special torque wrench for his Speedplay pedals!

Sunday was cheer squad day - missed the first 20 bikers or so, but stood in the driveway and rang cowbell for every other racer at IMME 70.3. I was supposed to be on the finish line for the afternoon, which I was really excited about. When I got down there, there were "too many people already at finish, but we need you in Athlete Food." Bummer, but whatcha gonna do? I was responsible for maintaining the flow of traffic through the tent, so instead of happy people, I got hangry people. Such is life.

This week, I'm hoping to capitalise on that unexpected weightloss kickstart and make some effective eating plans. I also need to rejigger my training so that I can ramp up to my October half marathon without doing myself any damage. And then run! Racing a small sprint on Saturday, which I'm excited about.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

TC-congrats on your streak! I'm so happy for you and your brain :) Blessings on your hip, may a bit of PT do the trick.

UK2ME-Thanks for volunteering. Sounds like you had some fun, and then put in your time as shephard.

My week was ok. I'm actually not too sure how I stuck to my plan--my trainingpeaks membership ran out, and with only 2 weeks before my A race, I didn't sign up for more andi'm not organized enough to keep track without the internet. But, I got all the important ones in, including the most massive training day of the whole year--a quarter marathon, followed by a 46 mi. ride with around 3500 ft. elevation, followed by another quarter marathon. My first half marathon was only last week, so I was worried about this week. It was hard, but ok. I gave myself the iciest ice bath afterwards, something I'm feeling good about.

I am officially, gloriously tapering now. For next week:

3 swims
4 bikes
3 runs
NO STRENGTH YAY TAPER!

Ahhh, two weeks!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 26 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL @ accidental new bike day. And thanks for volunteering!
GiantNewb - enjoy the taper.
Dr TC - hope you are fighting fit soon!

My week worked out to about 5.5 hours of riding, one short run (40 minutes) and a 2000m swim. The swim led to swimmer's ear which was rather unpleasant and killed my mojo for a couple of days. The bike rides were great, specially on Saturday when I just tagged along with Dan instead of riding inside. Holding his wheel if he is cycling at his endurance watts keeps me at my endurance watts so smiles all around.

This week is a short one for me; we start our trip to Europe on Thursday so the idea is to keep active until then. I probably won't be checking in for the next few weeks but if you follow me on strava or instagram you'll get a pretty good idea of our shenanigans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. Glad to hear you're using positive coping and how fantastic that you could give blood! I hope your hip starts feeling better soon, try to take a deep breath and focus on the good.

So fun that you got to cheer UK2ME-- good luck in your sprint, race happy!
GiantNewb, I have TP for my coach (he's remote) but I use a good old fashioned pen and paper binder like the old person I am.
Scheherazade, have a great trip. Are we friends on the 'gram? Can we be?

My goals last week were:

Quote:
This week I'm on the road again and have 4 swims, 4 runs, and 4 bikes and my beloved rest day (today).

Work and life really threw me for a loop last week -- I barely managed a yoga class, 3 runs, 2 bikes, and 2 swims and didn't execute anything particularly well. I'm tired, busy, and stressed. I am also trying to give myself some grace, especially with Nice in less than two weeks. My chin is up this week and I plan to get in 3 bikes, 4 swims, 4 runs, and yoga.

Happy training y'all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 26 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this week is kinder to you SoCal.

Of course we can be friends on the 'gram! I am @tri_firefighter . A warning for anyone that follows me though: my stories are a trainwreck because I lack the skills to make them fancy and there probably won't be a perfectly staged shot anywhere in sight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I survived Maine 70.3. Posted a race report. You all read it I am pretty sure :)

Because exactly the right thing to do the day after a half is get in a car for almost 6 hours, well, that's what we did. Old Orchard Beach, ME, to Brattleboro, VT (I can highly recommend the Top of the Hill Grill- YUM!) to Hogback Mountain Tower Trail (a little mini loop to the fire tower, maybe 1.5 miles?) to Bearsville, NY.

I'm not as sore as I have historically been after standalone half-marathons. My hip is a little mad. But I have foam-rolled everything I own twice now and so far, mild. I will swim tomorrow, probably set my bike in the trainer for a little spin-out tomorrow as well, and then when we get to Fire Island Thursday, maybe go for a little jog. Or not. Might just play in the waves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone! Lots of good stuff happened last week, I see.

Congrats on your race, YoMoGo! From what I can tell, that swim was no joke. Way to get it done. (No ocean swims for me, thanks!) It sounds like you are having a nice week recovering and relaxing.
Dr. T, I hope your niggle is feeling better. Yay for giving blood and for healthy coping skills!
UK2ME, so funny about your "accidental" bike. And yay for volunteering!
GiantNewb, I am impressed with that huge training day. Yay for taper!
Scheherazade, that riding sounds lovely. Sorry to hear about the swimmer's ear, hopefully it is cleared up by now. Have an AMAZING trip!
SoCal, hope you are feeling less frazzled. Please do give yourself some grace. I also struggle with that so I get it. It's OK to take a step back, especially since the hay is already in the barn. I'm excited to follow your trip!

Last week was OK. I got in three runs, three rides (one on the road), some PT, and some weights. My bad knee hurt for a little bit both Friday and Saturday. I'm not sure yet if this is the new normal, if this is going to be a temporary thing, if I need to consider chicken cartilage injections, or what. Focusing on good form helps but doesn't eliminate the pain. I really want to get more serious about running and add even one more easy day to my training week but I'm not going to increase anything if I keep getting twinges. Otherwise, my outdoor ride was great, I did pullups for the first time in a while (and am still feeling them), and I am getting the hang of my new PT routine. I really need to get over my mental anxiety block and get back in the pool. I miss racing and the bad-assery that comes with being a triathlete. Plus I turn 40 in a few months and want to do something big... but the knee and swimming need to be in order, first.

In other news, our garden tomatoes are finally coming in full force and I have been making a batch of sauce every weekend. We also have zucchini, basil, collards, lettuces and kale, and a few other goodies we are enjoying. So I am enjoying a bit of summer here and there that's not related to training. I had a bit of movement Tuesday on the Big Life Change I am trying to negotiate and needed to take the evening off from life, but it was too hot for running anyway, so it worked out. So yeah, some scary things in the works, but hopefully all good. =)

I hope you all are having an amazing week.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply