Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

enve carbon hub v2 failure
Quote | Reply
hi folks,

wondering if any of you ST'ers with enve wheels have had this problem.

so i got a set of enve 2.2's a while ago with the gen 1 enve carbon hubs. they rolled great for about 5 months and then developed all sorts of problems with the ceramic bearings... not to mention that they were flexy as hell. got the set waranteed and replaced with 2.2's that had the enve carbon hub v2 that came out late last year - i have had the wheels since maybe late february of this year.

now, i do a lot of riding, about 400+ miles per week, mostly on those wheels. but i take really good care of them, servicing them and cleaning them. yesterday i was out riding when suddenly the cranks wouldnt turn the wheel - the engagement ratchet mechanism (which is mavic id360 within the enve hub) slipped and left the cassette spinning freely. it would catch for a few seconds and then slip again, getting progressively worse as i limped the next 3 miles to a conveniently-located bike shop. took apart the hub and found that the whole engagement ratchet mechanism was basically stripped - had to call for an uber.

my theory is that the tolerances between some of the parts allowed moisture to get in the hub as it had been creaking a bit for the past few rides. then something corroded or sanded itself down with grit and stripped the engagement mechanism. i'm really thankful that it was a warm sunny day close to a shop on an easy ride and not during a race or training or a long ride - that could have been really bad.

if i have had this problem and i take good care of my wheels b ut ride a lot, there is NO way that it will be in isolation. i'm guessing that in the next few months more folks will have the same problem, hopefully without serious consequences. if you have the enve v2 hub, please check the hub ratchet!!
Quote Reply