Re: Training for my 1st IRONMAN, please advise... [KRadzi634] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100 mile run?
Quote Reply
Re: Training for my 1st IRONMAN, please advise... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
100 mile run?

Whoops!! I meant 100 mile bike. I changed it, sorry about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be swimming on Monday.

What type of two mile swim are you doing on Wednesday?
Quote Reply
Re: Training for my 1st IRONMAN, please advise... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water in Lake Michigan. Ohio street beach in Chicago.

And yeah. I like that idea about swimming on rest day Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's always interesting to see what other people do for their training.
But everyone's advice is always tempered by their own "special" abilities.

Maybe I missed all these in your post.
How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what age group?
Were you a swimmer, biker or runner in your youth?

If you were any of those things you already have some inherent ability that can be usefull in completing the event.

When you talk about how much time you spent in each discipline it is important to see what you do within that time.
In the Tri club I belong to I frequently see people who do the time, but don't spend enough energy to improve.

So how long does it take you to do 30 miles on a bike.
Same for the run and swim.

What sort of power, HR and intervals do you throw in.

Nobody can give you advice without that information.
Or rather nobody should give you advice without that information.

Best of luck though.

Ps Last year (2018) over 500 bikes didn't finish....the temperature at around 8:am after the delayed start was around 10c, oh and it was raining and the swim was 900m (give or take), there was construction on the bike course. So plan for the best and pack for the rest..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do another pool workout instead of the swim in the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Training for my 1st IRONMAN, please advise... [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what age group?
Were you a swimmer, biker or runner in your youth?

I'm 6ft
185lbs
44yrs old

I was a neither as a kid. I raced motocross, wrestled, and played baseball.
I picked up running as an adult and have done 3 marathons and have learned to train and pace with a negative split. So I'm a decent runner, 3:51 marathon on a super hilly course.

My best Olympic tri is 2:38 (on a super flat course). and my half iron is 6:25 (on a super hilly course 3 weeks ago). I trained through the half and maintained the same training volume. So I think my fitness is getting there.

My goal for the full IRONMAN is just to finish and enjoy the day as much as possible. My training goal is to stay healthy and build steadily, and learn to pace the distances at my current fitness level. This season is the first time I've trained in swimming or biking. So being able to now swim the distance without stopping or switching strokes, and being able to bike the distance without my neck killing me is a WIN. Now I feel like I just need to stay healthy and keep putting in the miles.

I'm biking my 2 100 mile training rides at 6:10'ish. I could probably go faster, but am not sure I'd still have legs to run a marathon... At the current pace, I'm able to run fine off the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One 20 mile run is more than enough. It takes most people a lot to recover from those. I’d drop your others down to 16 or so.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read through a lot of the posts and there's some good advice. Mine won't be. :0)

So I will throw in my 2c.

We are similar size and weight. I have raced (participated) at everything from 195 to 175. 175 is easier.
If you can lose a couple of pounds it's worth it Louisville ain't flat.

I raced Louisville last year. It rained, the swim was cut short and my nutrition seized up in the bottle, man it was cold (500 didn't finish the bike).
So good luck with that.

Finishing a half, to be honest isn't anything like a full IM. And while people without training don't nip out and do a half for the heck of it, it takes a little more for the whole. It really is a different race at our (non elite) level.

But as your aim is to finish it, you already can assume you will. You have done all the distances, you just have to be more obstinate. It's the obstinate in you that will get you there on your first. ( confession...I din't finish my first, lots of excuses, reality, not enough obstinate) (and a muffin, in the rain isn't enough course nutrition).

You already know you can swim the distance. And in 6 or 7 weeks you won't get faster if you weren't faster before. But you can work on being comfortable and that can come from a lake or a pool (because your arms don't know the difference). Straight swim, sure, 40 x 100, great, kick, pull, paddles...it all helps. The first part of the swim is a bit up stream, so you need to be able to overcome the current for the first mile, a little speed doesn't hurt. After that you can float down and still make the cutoff. Get some cheap flip flops you can throw away and a plastic bag to wear. The dock is forever and the pavement is rough. And it can be cold.

The bike you already know you can do and the last twenty miles is easy in Louisville. It's down hill or practically flat once you come off the two loops. Make sure you have some gears in the low range (like a 28 on the back or even lower) for the couple of hills that need it (especially on the 2nd loop). And eat all you can for the last 20 miles.

I ride outside once a week (I value my life) and also because 2 hrs on a bike indoors gives you more feedback than 3 hours outside. I'm lucky I have access to a spin bike with watts, RPM and HR, that can be set up in my Tri position. If you can find something similar I would highly recommend it. The pros are going that way and they know a thing or two. I tend to stay away from spin classes, but even there you can get something out of it, if you load up the resistance.

And you need to learn to eat on a bike without stopping, good luck with that (wet paper bags and a muffin don't work...I tried)

The run.
Where else in any sport do you get off a bike and say, "thank heavens only a marathon to go". Nuts.
But, you can walk it in 6 hrs (4.3mph) jog it in 5 (5.3mph) and run it in 4. (for your first you won't do the last).
You have to learn how to eat something you absolutely don't want, can't, never will and you hate. Then keep it down.
Again you already know how to run, learn to run with absolutely no legs and wooden blocks for feet...that's the trick.
That's where obstinate comes in and only you know the answer to that one.

You have done all the distances, if you are carefull (and don't race anyone) you'll be fine.
I too get a crick in the neck and dancing eyeballs. Stop looking up. Find a spot that's 20-40 feet in front and focus on that.
Look up going downhill (either that or your saddle is way too high :0)

Good luck.

Cherry picking times
Best Swim 1:04 (dead flat and a good wind)
Best Bike 5:07 (practically downhill)
Best run (don't ask...broke 5 once)
AG (we go last)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different, you have to mold your training program according to what works for you. I used the book "Be IronFit" by Fink and it was a great help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
**Not the "Taper Party" I was looking forward to!" ---PNEUMONIA---

Last Sunday I had just finished my last high volume week before starting my taper for Louisville October 13. Although this will be my first IRONMAN, and largely because of training advice received here, I feel pretty good about the program I put together and completed.

....THEN LATER SUNDAY NIGHT I STARTED FEELING FEVERISH and ACHY.... I didn't think too much about it because I had just finished the highest 3 days of the training cycle, plus I was celebrating the taper! The fever didn't go away so I rested the entire week. I read in the email IRONMAN sends out that not to get freaked out if you get sick during the taper time. I also read not to train through a fever, but to use discretion with other symptoms. Mid day Friday the fever broke but I started getting a sore throat and cough.

Because the fever broke I went about my normal Saturday and Sunday training-still coughing and still a sore throat, but bearable. Then Monday I was at the beach about to start my swim and realized I had left my lock at home-and also experiencing a shortness of breath just having peddled up the short incline to get over the Chicago river... I took it as an invitation to another rest day.

On the ride home I had several violent coughing attacks and because I was supposed to fly to NYC for work the next day I went to straight to the doctor to get checked out.

...an extreme case of PNEUMONIA! The doctor said my entire left lung is basically not functioning and that my body is eating itself to get energy to fight off the bacteria. She can't believe I was able to fight it off for over a week, complete those workouts, let alone be up walking around. I've been put on bed rest then go back Thursday for a 2nd X-ray to see if the the antibiotics are working.

I'm holding on to the hope that she said I'm in "extraordinary physical condition and that body seems to be fighting it off nicely even without medication." When I asked her about the race she said best case scenario you will be fully recovered from the pneumonia in 7 days, but you will have lost much of your fitness due to your body atrophy fighting off the bacteria... She then said realistically it will take up to 20 days to run it's course and that the race is probably out.

I'm not giving up! I'm reading Deena Kastor's book for the 4th time. She has some recovery stories in there that I always find inspiring and good for the soul. I'm grateful for a job that is allowing me to REST, and wife, kids, and community that are supporting me in my REST!!

Obviously I'm not taking any chances jumping back into training until the doctor gives me a green light. But if she does, I'm going to focus on short low intensity workouts, then up the intensity after a few days as my heart rate allows. And God willing line up in Louisville and ENJOY the day and the gift it is to simply be out there doing something I/WE love.

Thanks for all the support on this forum and pray for me! -Kevin
Quote Reply

Prev Next