Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather...
Quote | Reply
My hip had been very very dodgy leading up to this event so my training volume was waaaay down two weeks prior, and almost nil one week prior with hours in cars. Yikes. So I approached this as a particularly high-volume training day. I like to be done with breakfast 3 hours prior to starting any distance event, so my plan was to get up at 3:30. HAHA my brain was like good chat, bro, stupid plan Imma start bothering you to hang out at 2a. THANKS BRAIN YOU ARE A REAL PEACH.

I had plenty of time. I got bodymarked RIGHT at the opening of transition. 4:30am. I did what I always do, which is immediately strike up conversations with everybody around me. Makes the morning go quickly. The morning itself had a bit of a chill. Ok fine. I was cold. Even after I got the bottom half of my wetsuit on and my throwaway ancient sneaks for the 600m (!) walk to the swim start, where I lined up all optimistic in the 50-50something minute group.

I thought, golly, those waves look kinda, uh, vigorous. That current looks, uh, opposite where I want it to go. Ladies and gentlemen, the swim was a beast-monster. 2-3 foot swells, I was so seasick, I barely swam freestyle, and actually I sidestroked most of the time. Word after was that 70 people had to pull out of the swim for any number of reasons (dude, I was really close after the fourth swallow of seawater, but somehow miraculously I just kept swimming, like Dory, but less coordinated). 59 minutes people. 59 minutes. Felt like e-ter-ni-ty.

Wetsuit strippers are a nice touch, and then there's another one of them long-ass jogs to transition but there was a nice mat down. I "jogged". HA HA HA I ambled like a little old lady. I was soooo thirsty. I sat my butt down and drank 20 oz of water/Skratch, thought well I'm so going to have to pee on this bike ride BUT....I DIDN'T. And the bike course was picturesque enough, very well marked, open to traffic but lots of friendly officers directing traffic and volunteers designating turns.

I had such drama (posted previously) learning eating and drinking on the bike and YOU GUYS, I did it! I did not stop. I took gels! Out of a zipper pouch (WHAT), ripped them open with my teeth, took 'em in and stuffed the empties back in my pockets. And biggest thing: I actually managed to grab water from the awesome volunteers at the aid stations. I thought as I was rolling up "am I going to try this.. am I.." And I did! And I didn't swerve or mess anyone up. Thank heavens.

My T2 was slightly quicker than T1 but I needed a sunscreen refresh. And a thing I didn't correct- I PUT MY DAMN SOCKS ON UPSIDE DOWN. You read that right. UPSIDE DOWN. The heel cup was on top of my ankles. Who does that? The answer is me. I do that, apparently. I finished a water bottle off my bike and thought, well now I really will have to pee on the run. And I did. That was annoying. But I guess a positive in terms of being well-hydrated.

Sidebar: Chips Ahoy cookies. Barely food, but so delicious while running.

I can't in all honesty call it a run. It was more an amble. A light jog/walk. I wanted to be not miserable at the finish and I was so undertrained in terms of running that I needed to chill out extra much. Worked. Was able to "sprint" my finish. And I can still walk. I can't walk fast. I think normal walking speed won't return for a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! I would have totally nope’d out in those swim conditions so well done on persevering and big congrats on finishing your first 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for finishing!! Sounds like you had a great attitude to go with it. Onwards and upwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay! I heard it was closer to 80 people pulled out of the swim - I have never been so glad I didn't sign up for a race. Congratulations on sticking it out! Aside from the wind, the weather was pretty great for you.

I was in my driveway with my husband and cowbells at mile 51-ish and then marshaling people out of the left hand side of the food tent (sorry about that - it was not the "contact high" volunteer position I signed up for!), so I am sure I saw you at least once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Congrats YoMoGo!!!!!! Sounds like quite the adventure you had. It's good to know that someone can amble through the run and still make it. Happy recovery!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME- wow! Thanks for volunteering. Thank you thank you. I said it to every volunteer I saw so I sure hope I saw you. Since you saw 2000 athletes I doubt I stuck out :). But I was in a grey helmet, black and white sleeves Roka 1 piece tri-suit, bib 818, back of the pack. I was in a pretty swell mood at mile 50 so know I at least threw a big smile your way.

I slipped in at under 8 hrs by the grace of some entity. I’m super proud of my 3:26 bike and perfectly happy with that lunatic swim (59 min) just for having even completed it. Content with the amble as well. 3:08. Transitions were slow AF even with putting on the socks upside down. Heh.

Really glad I did it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally remember you, because I noted the Roka kit! I was also watching numbers - you came through a little before a friend of mine. You had a pretty good-sized shit-eating grin on when you came down past me, so you must have been having fun ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your RR made me laugh! Congrats on your first HIM finish!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yay! I heard it was closer to 80 people pulled out of the swim - I have never been so glad I didn't sign up for a race. Congratulations on sticking it out! Aside from the wind, the weather was pretty great for you.

I was in my driveway with my husband and cowbells at mile 51-ish and then marshaling people out of the left hand side of the food tent (sorry about that - it was not the "contact high" volunteer position I signed up for!), so I am sure I saw you at least once.

volunteers are the best! Thanks for volunteering. (I wasn't there but I'm still grateful for you and all volunteers at all races)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh brilliant! How fun. I got that suit 30% off and it was worth it! It’s soft and just gives you a big hug. And I don’t have to worry about my shoulders getting burned. Thanks for all the cowbell. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did your hip heal?

Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah Dr Tigerchik, grasshopper, I just don’t know- it’s a torn labrum so technically, NOPE, but it doesn’t feel symptomatic at the moment. I feel normal sore. Actually, less sore than the standalone half marathons I’ve done so that’s fascinating. I don’t think I aggravated the hip, and that’s a huuuge relief. Thank you for asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo, congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Great job sticking out the swim, fueling well, enjoying the views, and having a great day.

I am notoriously bad at my transitions and have done some weird things with my socks. I promise that gets better with experience/practice.

Now, please REVEL IN YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT!

And just keep swimming :D

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your first HIM!

That swim was rough. Almost 100 athletes were pulled from the water. I know because I was one of them. My vertigo kicked in about 100m into the swim, and I am still dizzy and nauseous a day and a half later. My head started spinning and wouldn't stop, I threw up several times, and I couldn't find the sky in a secure place, let alone any buoys to sight. Real vertigo/sea sickness is no joke. I spoke with many experienced swimmers who finished and also some who did not and they all said this was by far the roughest they've EVER seen that stretch of ocean. So, seriously HUGE kudos to you for rocking it out there!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Dr Cupcake that’s brutal. I am so glad you are ok, or at least on your way. I basically sidestroked that - I maybe swam freestyle for .2 intermittently? Breastroke just didn’t go anywhere and holy fuck when I flipped over to be like screw it I can backstroke that’s when the nausea was beastly. I am so sorry about the vertigo and the disorientation and the nausea. Frankly, I’ve been in labor twice and if someone said choose that sensation for an hour or vertigo with nausea for an hour, I’d choose labor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's definitely no joke! I was diagnosed with vertigo back in 2005, and while it doesn't debilitate me on a daily basis, it definitely flares up in times like yesterday. Saturday was so calm. So damn deceptively calm, lol.

People got through the swim any way they could. We're taking 3-4ft swells out of nowhere, wind and current against for 2/3 of the entire counter clockwise swim. I'm glad you made it out in one piece and then rocked the rest of your day!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Race report. Maine 70.3. Third tri. First 70.3. Perfect weather... [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, Dr. Cupcake. I am so sorry to hear that. I was thinking about you - wondered if I'd seen you out on the bike and not known it.

Everyone has said what a terrible swim it was. I don't like ocean swims at the best of times, so I waffle every year about whether or not to sign up because the race is just so local it always feels like a shame not to. I have never in all my life been so glad to have not signed up for a race as I was on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply