Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain
Quote | Reply
Been having some knee pain on medium to long runs and on long bikes. All around the kneecap. Knees don't hurt on the bike but when I get off to run I'm hobbling for a good mile before the pain subsides enough to run normally.

On medium runs the knees will hurt after the run. During long runs the knees will start to hurt about mile 8 and throb until finished.

With my knee bent 90* if I put my hand on the outside of the kneecap and push in towards the opposite leg, I feel the pain. No other pain if I push on other parts of the kneecap.

Started in the spring as I started ramping up for a summer ironman. Haven't done anything different than any other ironman year. Bought new sneakers when it started, thinking my old pair were worn but didn't help.

Any thoughts as to what it could be.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First guess is chondromalasia. Common with increase in mileage.
Google it and see if it fits. Best answer is rest. No one wants to hear that.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over years of training most of my 'running' injuries/soreness have been caused by the bike. Did you change anything in your bike fit? New saddle? New bike shoes? I've found even a centimeter change in seat position or small changes in pedal & cleat set-up can cause knee soreness when I ramp up the training mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking maybe the bike. Bought a new one this past winter. Used the dimensions from my last bike to set it up but I'm sure it's not exact.
I typically use my road bike on the trainer all the time but in the spring, put on the new TT bike to get used to it for a few weeks before the weather got better to ride it outside. I'm wondering now if that's been the cause. The road bike I use on the trainer hasn't been changed, fit wise, in years.

Maybe I'll bring the new tri bike to my fitter this winter to tweak the fit.
Quote Reply