Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRV tracking and how to increase it
Quote | Reply
Sup folks,

I’ve been tracking my HRV the last month or so and I’ve found that typically it hovers around 60-80ms, which has corresponded with me generally feeling pretty fatigued. It’s the end of my season and I’m pretty tired from a big year and am definitely looking forward to some rest. However, randomly about 2 weeks ago I had a 2-day span where my HRV was in the 150-175ms range and I felt absolutely fantastic – demolished my 40 min wattage PR by like 15w. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did to seemingly randomly jump from like 60ms to 150ms overnight. My sleep was in the fairly normal range right before that and I didn't eat anything special or whatnot and it wasn't even really a recovery day. In fact, I had my lowest HRV score last week the day after taking an easy day!

Does anyone with more experience in HRV training and measurement have any insights as to how one may be able to increase HRV or why it might jump like that? I’m a Cat 1 cyclist and a former 15:00 5k’er so I’ve been an athlete long enough to know the obvious stuff (good quality sleep, eating generally well, etc.) but I’m wondering if anyone has any non-obvious insights.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV tracking and how to increase it [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found that an easier mid duration aerobic workout the day before boosts my HRV the next day. No scientific evidence, purely anecdotal.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV tracking and how to increase it [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine hovers between 35ms (tired day) to 65ms (recovered).

I feel inadequate now.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV tracking and how to increase it [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 How are you measuring it ?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: HRV tracking and how to increase it [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I kow, the HRV can be different for each person, eveyone is different in how they react to a stress. I have been using mySASY to monitor it and there you set up your Training Profile through 15 first measurement and each athlete is really different, so I wouldn't worry about having different result than anyone else.

Barbora
mySASY ambassador
Quote Reply