Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options
Quote | Reply
The Unno Horn arrived today. This promises to be the sexiest, fiercest, fastest, most innovative XC bicycle since Pivot released essentially the same product for far less money a few months ago. This is the bike that will finally take me from second to last in Cat 3 to the front of Cat 1. I have been held back for years by inferior equipment.

While this is as materialistic as any gear obsessed post, ultimately this is about an experience of trashing this bike over the next 5-6 years in places like Park City, Crested Butte, Whistler, Moab, Iceland, Costa Rica. This bike is not as much about the bike as it is about the experiences on the bike.

Who can help me piece together the build? I am bidding out build packages to my bike shops. Yes, a rational consumer drives a bike shop out of its profit margin when buying goods, while paying fair market value (i.e. upwards of $500) for service in a complex build. As we say in my business, "always bid it out".

Here is the early take on parts: https://docs.google.com/...v6E/edit?usp=sharing

What do you guys recommend?

Unboxing photos coming soon. So far, my experience with Unno has been outstanding, like legitimately better than any other direct to consumer purchase of a product like this. These guys are pros.
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lefty Ocho is hands-down the best XC fork I've ever ridden. However, if it's anything like previous Lefty forks, you might want to make sure your local mechanic is good with servicing them, since he'll be doing that often. That's why I'm putting a Fox 32SC on the bike I'm getting next week. Note that the SC is sub-1400g in almost every configuration I've seen. Since your options are all money-no-object (it appears?) why not Fox Live Valve?

Wheels: Consider Bontrager Kovee XXX. Superb wheelset and from what I can see in the local XC scene, far less fragile than ENVE. Light, good DT internals. Of course DT's 1200 has to be considered.

I dig the Scott Fraser bars in theory, but never ridden them so I don't know if the shape is actually my preference. If you don't want integration, I'd do Ritchey WCS 220 stem + some German exotica for the bars. Schmolke TLO, McfK?

SRAM AXS is cool and all, but the new XTR is amazeballs.

Also: You need to choose brakes. Magura or Shimano XTR Race.

Tyres? My go-to are Bontrager XR1 rear, XR2 front. Maxxis Aspen/Rekon Race. Haven't had the best experiences with Schwalbe.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great looking bike I’ve been following for awhile.

Brakes, look at Magura MT8
XTR Di2 👍🏼
I like Stan’s Pro Valor never had any issues after 2 1/2 years or so
Fox SC 👍🏼
What’s the head tube angle ?
40mm Stem?
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Aug 12, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the fox will give the clearance he's looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is an Unno Horn?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Maxxis Aggressor 2.5s, heavy and slow.
I suggested some bits in drive, including wheels. Better to go with Kong over Prince/Princess from Tune as they build stronger wheels

Loaded Precision could be a source of rims and some other bits if you wanted to stay more with USA companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
The Unno Horn arrived today. This promises to be the sexiest, fiercest, fastest, most innovative XC bicycle since Pivot released essentially the same product for far less money a few months ago. This is the bike that will finally take me from second to last in Cat 3 to the front of Cat 1. I have been held back for years by inferior equipment.
Congrats with the great frame. Were you able to ride it? Is that effective enough without remote lockout for XC racing application?
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [iGordienko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iGordienko wrote:
kileyay wrote:

Congrats with the great frame. Were you able to ride it? Is that effective enough without remote lockout for XC racing application?

Pedaling efficiency ought to be similar to the newest (non-horst link) Epic. Much more efficient than the Horst-link Epics of the previous generation. Not as efficient as the Mach 4 SL previously referred to (But lighter). What's interesting about this is that the pedaling efficiency is really good and the brake squat and pedal kickback are also pretty good. Usually as efficiency goes up, Squat and kickback do as well.

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/search?q=unno+horn

Geometry is probably the most "progressive" of the 100mm XC race platforms.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Aug 18, 19 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the fork i would go with the new SID Charger. Fox 32SC are noodly and given the bike ability to tackle quite tough stuff i would prefer the SID. Also the SID can be modified for 120mm which would make the bike even more capable. Then i like to do technical races like Transvesubienne. If you're riding smooth stuff the 32SC is fine.
If you look at the trend in top XC riding some are using 110mm+ SID and some Fox rider are even riding the 34.
Last edited by: Ajaj191: Aug 18, 19 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Pedaling efficiency ought to be similar to the newest (non-horst link) Epic. Much more efficient than the Horst-link Epics of the previous generation. Not as efficient as the Mach 4 SL previously referred to (But lighter). What's interesting about this is that the pedaling efficiency is really good and the brake squat and pedal kickback are also pretty good. Usually as efficiency goes up, Squat and kickback do as well.

Geometry is really good and unfortunately that doesn't mean you wouldn't wish to lock the suspension during out of the saddle accelerations.
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
what is an Unno Horn?

I had the exact same question.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Not as efficient as the Mach 4 SL previously referred to (But lighter).

I just my Mach 4SL a few weeks ago. Way rad bike. I was torn between it and the Trail 429, but the 429 seemed so much less lively and felt notably slower.

I don't feel the need for the lockout very often except really long steady climbs. It is so efficient when pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
what is an Unno Horn?

I had the exact same question.

I think it's got something to do with green alligators, long-necked geese, humpty-backed camels and chimpanzees.
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:

I don't get it.

• Go with the cane creek headset
  • Cannondale Ocho fork: 1446g; more stiff than Fox or DTswiss, smoother action; AngryAsian loves it (review forthcoming)
  • scott fraser ic sl handlebar; 50+g lighter than Enve stem/bar combo
  • syncros silverton sl wheels? 1250g but "only" 26mm ID (i9 ultralight's are 23.5 ID 1380g, for comparison)
  • or November Hotfoot 29s w/ i9 hydras 1450g BUT 30mm ID

• As cool as the Fox Live rear shock is, I feel it belongs on a single pivot bike like the Scott and can revolutionalize WC racing. The kinematics of the Unno are worth riding with a near wide-open rear shock most of the time, in my opinion

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

I'd love to see a comparison chart(s) to the new Pivot, as the Unno definitely mimics a dw-link design in appearance

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I'd love to see a comparison chart(s) to the new Pivot, as the Unno definitely mimics a dw-link design in appearance
http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/...cles-m4-sl-2020.html
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [iGordienko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask anything? How about some photos? boxing, unboxing, close-up, far away, during build, after build, on a scale. Any and all photos...please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's this build going?

I would suggest looking at a Thomson Masterpiece seat post. 190g and half the price of mcfk
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not get a Fox 34SC and drop a custom tuned avalanche cartridge in it? It’s not the lightest fork but is plenty stiff for xc and some trail riding. Additionally you have the option of 120 or 100mm travel.

I did an avalanche cartridge in my Fox 34SC on my Sb100 and it greatly improved the fork
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

This could shape up to be a spectacular build!

Any update and pictures to show?
Quote Reply
Re: ASK ME ANYTHING: Unno Horn - Unboxing, First Impressions, & Build Kit Options [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Lefty Ocho is hands-down the best XC fork I've ever ridden. However, if it's anything like previous Lefty forks, you might want to make sure your local mechanic is good with servicing them, since he'll be doing that often. That's why I'm putting a Fox 32SC on the bike I'm getting next week. Note that the SC is sub-1400g in almost every configuration I've seen. Since your options are all money-no-object (it appears?) why not Fox Live Valve?

Wheels: Consider Bontrager Kovee XXX. Superb wheelset and from what I can see in the local XC scene, far less fragile than ENVE. Light, good DT internals. Of course DT's 1200 has to be considered.

I dig the Scott Fraser bars in theory, but never ridden them so I don't know if the shape is actually my preference. If you don't want integration, I'd do Ritchey WCS 220 stem + some German exotica for the bars. Schmolke TLO, McfK?

SRAM AXS is cool and all, but the new XTR is amazeballs.

Also: You need to choose brakes. Magura or Shimano XTR Race.

Tyres? My go-to are Bontrager XR1 rear, XR2 front. Maxxis Aspen/Rekon Race. Haven't had the best experiences with Schwalbe.

Agree on the new XTR. If you’re used to Eagle and think “hey this is pretty good, don’t see how it could get better” the new XTR is BETTER. The shifts are so seamless, so instant, so smooth no matter how much gas you give it. Personally I prefer the steps to Eagle on the 10-45 cassette. The 10-45 is the perfect XC cassette IMO. (note: must use the correct Shimano chain to get the Hyperglide+ benefits)

Brakes: I actually really like the Guide Ultimates. I have XT8000 brakes on my F-Si which are very “grabby” whereas the Guide Ultimates on my Fuel Ex have really nice modulation.

Cockpit: the one piece cockpits are cool but the shape *has* to work for you. There are plenty of light two piece options out there such as Darimo etc.

Fork: agree on the Fox SC choice. I’ve ridden live valve. Eh... I’m not a fan of it in its current guise. I could see huge potential if the rear suspension kinematics were set up for it but no bike currently has the correct linkage.

Tires: I run XR3/XR2 personally. Horses for courses.

Wheels are a minefield. I would do a custom build but that’s quite a rabbit hole on its own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Is that being funny or serious? eg What % improvement do you need to bridge that gap?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply