Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is your theory on wedding gifts?
Quote | Reply
Do you:

a) Give cash because it is practical and they can use as they see fit
b) Buy something you think they can use.
c) Buy something they will still have in 20 years and remember who gave it to them (hopefully good)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Situational dependent

Parents rich as sin--we'll get them something off their registrar.

Regular folks like us--we'll give them cash so they can do with as they see best

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something off the register.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depend on how close and how good their registry is.

Immediate family or a friend I treat like immediate family, I would do something special.

Everyone else I would go with a registry gift unless everything on there sucks, then cash. I would never go off registry unless very close.

Back when people used to register at Macy's, it wasn't uncommon to return everything then wait til Macy's had a sale and buy it back at much lower costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most these days will tell you what they want you to do. If they ask for cash, give cash. If they have a registry, buy off that. Don't go rogue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't go to many weddings anymore but always always always cash.

Sure they are registered. Anyone here approaching 50 still like everything they liked when they were 25? Fuck it. Give them a wad of cash and let them blow it on hookers and blow.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash seems to be king these days. The last time I went to a wedding with a registry was 15 years ago, and that couple divorced 3 years later. Thank God they had a surplus of toasters to split between the two of them.

We got married 4 years ago and said no gifts, but if you really want to do something bring cash. That cash helped us with the down payment on our house. I'd way rather have the house, then a bunch of garbage to put in a house I couldn't yet afford.

I've seen couples with a travel registry. They plan their dream honeymoon, and you can pay for a few nights at x destination, part of their flights, etc. I think that's a pretty neat idea.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use stuff from our registry every day and we are celebrating our 15 year anniversary. We bought another couple some solid camping gear off their registry. Not every puts gold rimmed gravy boats on the registry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it totally depend on the couple? Someone I'm very close with - sibling or best friend - I'll do something custom, in fact for my sister who just got married I got her this cool wall hanging that gives the date and a picture of the location where they met, got engaged and got married (and the last two were very meaningful locations). If it's anyone else I'll see if anything off the registry looks decent, otherwise it's cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t go rogue. I think cash is the best gift.

At our wedding someone gave us a gift package of cheese, including some disgusting raw cheese that quickly stunk up one corner of the reception. My sister in law gave us a small bowl that clearly was a free gift that came with the dishes she had just bought. It’s completely useless and insulting that she gave us something she got for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favourite part of getting married was returning stuff that we put on our registry that came with a receipt because someone else gave us something that wasn't on our registry and didn't give a receipt.

I know, I know, ungrateful first world dickhead problems...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Do you:

a) Give cash because it is practical and they can use as they see fit
b) Buy something you think they can use.
c) Buy something they will still have in 20 years and remember who gave it to them (hopefully good)
I think it depends.

Mine and my wife’s registry was... unconventional. Some kitchen stuff we still needed, but other than that, we had everything else we needed. So we registered for some camping stuff, and a few decks of cards and whatnot. We heard people saying it looked like two 10 year olds were told to make a registry. I take that as a compliment (:

Anyhow, I know that we’ve used the camping gear more than we ever would’ve used a lemon zester...

To answer the question, if they register for relatively practical, normal-ish things, no harm in going that route. Otherwise cash (:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex wife was of Italian heritage. The 200 guests on her side all gave cash at our wedding which is their norm. The 20 or so on my side gave gifts which was our norm. Guess either is OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
recently went through this (on the getting married side). made a registry but it was pretty minimal and mostly nice household stuff to replace/supplement cheaper household stuff. also created a "honeyfund" (that's actually a website) that was on our registry. most people just gave us cash. it was a nice mix of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash baby. Nobody ever complains about receiving it.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Most people these days are shacking up for years before they get married so the typical household goods don't really make sense. My wife and I didn't live together before we got married and were in our early 20's so typical household stuff was nice and we still use most of it. If I was getting married now I would say no gifts or cash.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
windywave wrote:

x2.

X3

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several friends pooled up and gave me/us some pretty expensive binoculars for a wedding gift. Still use them all the time and think of the old thoughtful friends every time I pull them out of the case 35 years later. They have laster longer than one of the friends lived. Always a nice gift even if they have a pair already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically do whatever’s most convenient. So if there’s an online registry, I order something from that online.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your theory on wedding gifts? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Doesn't it totally depend on the couple? Someone I'm very close with - sibling or best friend - I'll do something custom, in fact for my sister who just got married I got her this cool wall hanging that gives the date and a picture of the location where they met, got engaged and got married (and the last two were very meaningful locations). If it's anyone else I'll see if anything off the registry looks decent, otherwise it's cash.

For sure. I've given some custom personalized items to close friends/family, but otherwise typically browse the registry for something I think would be useful/worthwhile. Travel also matters... Of course nowadays some people will just register on Amazon so whatever you get can simply be shipped to them directly, but in the past I preferred to wrap, etc, and bring it myself, so that limited what I could carry if we needed to fly there. In that case, cash is always a viable backup option.

We just got an invitation last week, in fact. Since we expect 5 of us to attend in our party, my wife went w/ the $50/head estimate and so shopped their registry for something in the $250 ballpark that we felt would be useful and last awhile (I sometimes think of it like, "If/when they get divorced, would at least one of them actually make it a point to want to keep that?" but since it was on the wife's side of the family I obviously didn't say that out loud) and ended up on a $299 Yeti cooler. I know Yetis are kinda extravagant, but it's still something that should serve its purpose for many years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like the weddings the wife and I have been going to, the registry is for the shower and cash for the wedding. At our wedding it was mostly cash, one cool gift (super high end chef knife), and then this crystal dish/pie holder/ash tray. Still not sure what the hell it is, but for some reason we still have it 5 years later and 3 moves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only tell you three things we received as wedding gifts-

extension ladder
chainsaw
vacuum cleaner

All of which we still use frequently 20+ yrs later

I bet my wife could tell you other things we got. I know we still have fancy dishes in boxes we have NEVER used.
Quote Reply