Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Pogacar is a hero. If you could base your team around any one young rider, who would it be? Pogacar? Evenepoel? Lopez? Higuita? Martinez? Hirschi?

Lotta good U23 talent coming up.

For a 3 weeks race, Pogacar. He just has to improve a bit in TT and in super hilly mountain. He has the entire pack...
I just wonder if he is too young and might fade. I dont know if the level of training of these young lads is the best to keep them all at the top for 15 years...

Once you get the GC guy label, there's immense pressure. It's one thing to ride with nothing to lose, another to ride as if you have nothing to lose. Pinot, Tejay, Cadel, etc. Pogachar seems more Saganish, just ripping it. I hope he keeps his swagger, or obliviousness, or whatever it is. He's precocious for sure, but now he has a bullseye on his back. We'll see. I'd build around him. Joe D is excited.

Can't wait to see more Remco. All the above really. First, WC and Lombardia.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy for Roglic and Jumbo to overcome a few bumps and put it all together. Valverde rode a solid race. Enough said about Pogacar. Quintana looks like his career is running on fumes. DQS was on-point once again.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 15, 19 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
juanillo wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Pogacar is a hero. If you could base your team around any one young rider, who would it be? Pogacar? Evenepoel? Lopez? Higuita? Martinez? Hirschi?

For a 3 weeks race, Pogacar. He just has to improve a bit in TT and in super hilly mountain. He has the entire pack...
I just wonder if he is too young and might fade. I dont know if the level of training of these young lads is the best to keep them all at the top for 15 years...

Once you get the GC guy label, there's immense pressure. It's one thing to ride with nothing to lose, another to ride as if you have nothing to lose. Pinot, Tejay, Cadel, etc. Pogachar seems more Saganish, just ripping it. I hope he keeps his swagger, or obliviousness, or whatever it is. He's precocious for sure, but now he has a bullseye on his back. We'll see. I'd build around him. Joe D is excited.

Good points there (and the point about Remco)

Is Remco racing Yorkshire? He certainly has the palmares to justify the selection; only issue is that he may not want to be someone's work horse
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
juanillo wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

Good points there (and the point about Remco)

Is Remco racing Yorkshire? He certainly has the palmares to justify the selection; only issue is that he may not want to be someone's work horse

Remco got selected, but sounds like he’s focusing more on the TT, then the road race.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

Very interesting.

Just throwing this out there...

At the risk of hijacking the long-standing spring classics thread. Might be fun to have a fantasy Cycling league? I had never done fantasy football until a few years ago when one of my kid's got into it with some friends. Is actually pretty fun.

Not sure of the logistics. But might be fun to organize some sort of draft. Season starts at Tour Down Under runs to Lombardia. Everyone gets 7 GC riders, 5 Classics/All-rounders, and 3 Sprinters. Or something like that. You get to be your own direcetor/sponsor. Pick your team name.

Then determine points for wins/podium spots. Colored jerseys for stage races get bonus points.

Or not. Just food for thought.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Vuelta. Happy for Roglic. Loved the scene at the finish line last week (forget the stage) with him fist bumping and then putting his arm around Pogacar as they crossed the finish line in a group.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

Very interesting.

At the risk of hijacking the long-standing spring classics thread. Might be fun to have a fantasy Cycling league? I had never done fantasy football until a few years ago when one of my kid's got into it with some friends. Is actually pretty fun.

Not sure of the logistics. But might be fun to organize some sort of draft. Season starts at Tour Down Under runs to Lombardia. Everyone gets 7 GC riders, 5 Classics/All-rounders, and 3 Sprinters. Or something like that. You get to be your own direcetor/sponsor. Pick your team name.

Then determine points for wins/podium spots. Colored jerseys for stage races get bonus points.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Vuelta. Happy for Roglic. Loved the scene at the finish line last week (forget the stage) with him fist bumping and then putting his arm around Pogacar as they crossed the finish line in a group.

Velogames.com offers fantasy cycling for almost all the races each year, the TdF being the one big exception. My friends & I play for each race because I don’t think there’s a season-long game itself.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFigawi wrote:
WannaB wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

Very interesting.

Velogames.com offers fantasy cycling for almost all the races each year, the TdF being the one big exception. My friends & I play for each race because I don’t think there’s a season-long game itself.
ChrisC started a "Slowtwitch" league at Velogames. He and I are in all of their fantasy league races.

ChrisC42780 wrote:
The Velogames league is still open if anyone is interested. I have been dominating the season, since I have been the only one signed up!

League Code- 521835710

If you already entered in the past your automatically entered.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know for next year!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to say I created a Slowtwitch league so you can kick my ass in every competition in the past month. I was doing okay majority of the year. My overall season ranking is pretty good, but the last few races I did horrible.

What a great Vuelta! No complaints at all, was very happy to watch every day on the Olympic channel with Phil & Bob. 2 hours of coverage was perfect. Deserving winner. The future looks bright for cycling.

Look like UCI championships will be aired on Olympic Channel also with plenty of replays.
Last edited by: ChrisC42780: Sep 16, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a Autumn Classics team you can still join the league this year.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

At the risk of hijacking the long-standing spring classics thread. Might be fun to have a fantasy Cycling league?

I can't speak for everyone in the classics thread, but the discussion and banter is what I'm really interested in. When a clock is right twice a day (sort of like my picks), it's fun to pretend you knew what you were talking about.

The points system we have now is far from perfect even though we made some tweaks to it recently. Velo Games for sure would be a better platform for making picks and take far less effort to track, but if it drives traffic and discussion away from the forum discussion (people only logging in to Velo Games to make picks and that's it) then I'd probably stop coming to the Classic's thread altogether.

I've learned so much about classic's and bike racing in general from the discussion in these threads.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

I know he's 24, but I'd choose to build a team around MVDP if he was going to focus on road.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, for all stated reasons.

Was not suggesting instead. Just thought fun to have a team, and have even more rooting interest in some lower tiered guys.

Should have searched a bit. Of course there is already platform for this.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
Did you mean to say I created a Slowtwitch league so you can kick my ass in every competition in the past month. I was doing okay majority of the year. My overall season ranking is pretty good, but the last few races I did horrible.

What a great Vuelta! No complaints at all, was very happy to watch every day on the Olympic channel with Phil & Bob. 2 hours of coverage was perfect. Deserving winner. The future looks bright for cycling.

Look like UCI championships will be aired on Olympic Channel also with plenty of replays.
You're still in second place in the Slowtwitch league, though!

Funny, my overall season ranking is also pretty good, even though my Giro team managed to find ways to get relegated or crash out on almost every stage. I think the key to the overall ranking is to make sure you enter every Velogames race?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next