Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowtwitcher Dbeitel Hour Record Attempt [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Even most of the "Pro" attempts at Aguas piggyback off of another group / event. Campaenarts didn't but he had a big teams support.

Martin didn't either. I thought he said it was ~$15k just for the UCI stuff, but my memory is often faulty. I also thought he said pro had different officials and protocols than age group records. At any rate going with Rob's group wasn't an option.

BTW, do you know who is riding there and what records they are targeting?
Last edited by: rruff: Aug 23, 19 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m traveling back right now but you are correct about the UCI Commissar, He came from Venezuela!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Dbeitel Hour Record Attempt [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were a lot of records. I’m traveling now but the two most notable were the first two masters sprinters to go sub 10 in the flying 200
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Dbeitel Hour Record Attempt [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that sounds like a great trip. i have wanted for the last couple of years to host a week down there, just for slowtwitchers, pretty much like what you did. i think a lot of us would like to take a crack at it, either the hour or the 3km or 4km or kilo or whatever it is that interests you. probably i would do this in concert with somebody out there already doing it. like rob.

Ready to go embarrass myself giving it a shot when you are!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you 40 yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
35-39, and after the record set Thursday (51.6km I think) I would need motor to have any chance!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn... I guess the record got "real".

I still think I'd have a fighting chance at the 60-64 as it stands, but there many guys who could beat me. Gotta get in early!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that sounds like a great trip. i have wanted for the last couple of years to host a week down there, just for slowtwitchers, pretty much like what you did. i think a lot of us would like to take a crack at it, either the hour or the 3km or 4km or kilo or whatever it is that interests you. probably i would do this in concert with somebody out there already doing it. like rob.

Oh yes!

Link to records here. http://www.cyclingmasters.com/site/records

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris

If your're referring to Gert Fouche's Record, it was just an amazing ride ! His splits never varied by more that about +/_ 0.2 seconds THE ENTIRE RIDE. . He was very well prepared. Not to mention that he had set the 4K and 3K earlier in the week. He went 4.20.179 in the 4K, and his goal was to set a new South African Elite National Record..... Which was 4.32.921... His 3K was 3.14.249.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan

All in all, It was a fantastic trip, with just an amazing amount of experience generated. The people were just great, and the Venue, well its the best. Getting to know the folks down there, there are a couple of key contacts, that I believe you know how to track down !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Morelock and All,

Wondering what the expense would be for a portable Hyperloop pipe setup (clear plastic or with windows) that could be utilized for record attemps and experiments?

The atmospheric pressure could be set to about 6191 feet like Aguascalientes or a higher or lower altituder as desired ,,,, and if useful .... the partial pressure of oxygen adjusted to suit.

With this device world record attempts could be made utilizing most any venue .... soccer, football, and baseball stadiums and the like ......

Making record attempt facilities more readily available worldwide.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Morelock wrote:
UCI requirements are very stringent to qualify for the record.

Any idea how much it costs to get UCI certification for an hour attempt in Mexico?

When I did it on Rob's trip in 2017 I think the cost for my hour was $1400 including the drug test. Secondary attempts were $100 plus $450 for the drug test if you broke the record.

I don't know the exact details, but you need x number of officials and you need to pay for their time and their expenses (travel, hotel, food, etc.). Our cost including flying in Randy Shafer for Colorado Springs as the UCI commisaire, plus some officials from Mexico, plus the two drug testers (male and female). The urine samples were sent to a lab in Canada.

Basically Rob figured out how many days we needed, added up the costs and divided it by the number of riders on the trip.

Each day we had an hour attempt in the morning and in the evening when temperatures in the velodrome were suited for an hour and in the middle of the day when it was hot (high 90's to 100 in the velodrome) they ran the shorter attempts where heat isn't a problem and the thinner, hot air was an advantage.

All of this included paying for the track which comparatively was quite cheap compared to other velodromes.

We had some conversations with the Colorado Springs velodrome before hand and they wanted $2500 all included per rider which seemed like kind of a rip off if you had multiple people going back to back.

In the end it was cheaper to fly to Mexico and go on a faster track than Colorado Springs.

Caveat. All of our costs were based on having a bunch of people to split the costs. For just one rider it would cost a LOT more.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher Dbeitel Hour Record Attempt [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin

Your summary was very similar to what happened this year, except the costs increased a bit.

Randy was not available so the UCI Commissar was Rainer Nuhlen from Venezuela.

You also bring up a great point about when to ride the attempt, especially The Hour. The Velodrome has an inflatable roof that gets hot really fast with any sun. So much that an hour attempt mid day is not possible. The trick is to time the attempt to balance reduced air density and heat. If you can tolerate the heat, you can take advantage of the density.

The sprinters would time their efforts to maximize the heat of the day, not caring about the temperature ! We'd be sitting in the stands with sweat running off ourselves watching their efforts.

db
Quote Reply

Prev Next