Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea)
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I am participating in the world champ Otillo swimrun in Sweden, I have a basic wetsuit for swimrun (Orca Core). I wonder if If can just use the one I have. How cold is the water there ? I am not only asking swimrunners but anyone that swims in the Baltic sea . I know it doesn't really look good to ask questions like these 2 weeks before the event. But hey, I am also participating in the ITU age group world champs 2 days before in Switzerland. It makes preparations difficult. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [Morro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No answer to your question, but would love to hear the story of how you qualified, and perhaps a race report afterwards?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I have a blog. I can share after the event,
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [Morro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morro wrote:
Hi everyone, I am participating in the world champ Otillo swimrun in Sweden, I have a basic wetsuit for swimrun (Orca Core). I wonder if If can just use the one I have. How cold is the water there ? I am not only asking swimrunners but anyone that swims in the Baltic sea . I know it doesn't really look good to ask questions like these 2 weeks before the event. But hey, I am also participating in the ITU age group world champs 2 days before in Switzerland. It makes preparations difficult. Thanks

I have done the race twice. Water temps will be lower 60s to upper 50s. If you've done other races, and I assume you have, the temps should be comparable.

It's an amazing race. Have fun .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Stockholm and have been swimming and swimrunning this whole summer. It has been a mild summer and I would guess that temperatures would be between 14C - 19C, you can manage with your current swimrun suit, if you prefer more comfort maybe wearing a swimrun vest underneath.
Weather forecast for the next 10 days looks solid (between 13C - 20C) and not too rainy or cold so it won't be the worst you can face here hehehehe.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [LucasScridelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for your response. Very helpful :)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [LucasScridelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...do you find those cold temps to be bothersome and painfully cold in swim run? Normally a full suit would be required for those temps at the lower end in an Ironman, and even then, booties would be allowed & you'd be swimming faster as you don't have shoes.

But in Swim/Run, I heard that you can tolerate the colder temps even more because your body temperature from running is higher. Everyone uses cut off at the knees suits (most do anyhow)...Seems that would be a recipe for cramping and shock to the system.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimrun Otillo World champ: How cold is the water (Baltic sea) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Stockholm SwimRun in May and temps at the baltic side of the race were around 11C, I can assure you that as your system is warm from the run you can deal with that easily. The painful part is submerging your head on these cold water. It requires some strength to do it. My recommendation to make this more comfortable is to have a neoprene head band that can keep your forehead and ears warm and still let the head ventilate.
As a Brazilian who moved to Sweden I've learned that you need to kinda accept the coldness and relax. The more you focus on how cold is it the more tension you add and the more you cramp while swimming.
Quote Reply