Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The shirt quality is awful.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local tri’s charge $90 for sprint and 130-190 for Olympic. So I have to agree with the OP.
Even local 5k’s are 40$ and up and an open HM is often 90-150$
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have the premise reversed. I just asked for opinions on swag at IM events because I thought that maybe I was being too critical of how much IM events costs compared to what you get. Was absolutely shocked at how little and poor quality the items were. Had a conversation yesterday at a local tri about a big race that we use to do that was bought by IM. Tripled the price and cut out all the extras, out of the four of us only one did the IM race again. I like big city marathons, and I like IM events, but value/time/experience goes to marathon hands down. Local tris around my area are under $250 for a half, under $125 for an Olympic, and under $75 for a sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race organization is very hard, and local municipalities are going to take their cut. I’d volunteer at a local race to see what the deal is.

triguy86 wrote:
I’ve done about 6-7 IM branded 70.3 races but I’ve been doing local tris for like 13 years. Just my opinion, but at a 70.3 I feel like I get a $250-300 experience on race day. Always well organized, no shortage of volunteers or aid, solid atmosphere.

My issue is with local races. When I pay $85 for a sprint race or $110 for an OLY I usually feel like I got a $30 experience. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll continue to race all my local events but I was just contemplating this issue today. People generally complain about IM brand prices.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or do bike racing... also the polar opposite and you get to use your brain as well as your legs.

BobAjobb wrote:
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree, and i've brought it up in other posts. why do bike races (road) still cost $30-50 while tri's are double to triple that? permits should probably cost the same. police detail for bike race is longer amount of time for sure (cat 5's start @9am, go though to pro/1/2's around 2 pm) and they still manage to give out cash prizes to most fields. how do they make any money? maybe Tri's should stop wasting money on useless generic paperweight medals (honestly who wants these any more?) and tech shirts that we all have a drawer full of already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3s are 2 to 3 times more expensive than my local sprint and olympic races. What am I getting for that extra $100-$150? Nothing that I can see that would be worth it. A better post race party, including food and drink, has almost zero value to me. Maybe worth an additional $10, but not more than that.
Last edited by: tanzbodeli: Aug 18, 19 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I was just thinking the opposite. I decided not to do an IM70.3 this year and am instead doing more, shorter local events and have been really happy.

Apart from just racing more and training less (and being less focused on a single event), the smaller events are *a lot* less expensive, and I've been having more fun (plus there's not someone on a PA saying "Ironman...athletes...ironman...athletes..." all day). Personally, I don't want any of the IM swag (it's mostly crappy, and I won't wear stuff plastered with IM logos), so I'm good with getting a tshirt from a local race and some pizza and fruit at the finish line. Plus, it's cool to get a gift certificate to a local shop as a prize.

I actually think IM is long-run bad for the sport. Relatively few people are going to do a lot of them, and IM pretty much markets itself as a singular achievement. People spend a lot of time preparing for one, spend a lot of money and a weekend to do one and have their achievement lauded, but I've seen a lot of people that aren't necessarily looking to do it again. The smaller and shorter events are more frequent and even though there are fewer people doing them, it seems like they're likely to do more.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
agree, and i've brought it up in other posts. why do bike races (road) still cost $30-50 while tri's are double to triple that? permits should probably cost the same. police detail for bike race is longer amount of time for sure (cat 5's start @9am, go though to pro/1/2's around 2 pm) and they still manage to give out cash prizes to most fields. how do they make any money? maybe Tri's should stop wasting money on useless generic paperweight medals (honestly who wants these any more?) and tech shirts that we all have a drawer full of already.

Aren't a lot of bike races much shorter loop courses (excluding fondos, which tend to be more expensive)? The logistics/permits/police for closing down a 2-4 mile loop seems like it'd be less involved than a longer stretch that, by necessity, starts at the water.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my 6 year old and 3 year old think the medals are cool to play with - other than that you're totally right
what kind of adult cares about a medal?? I think its hilarious when people are still wearing theirs like 6 hours later
Last edited by: y_nigel: Aug 18, 19 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience with permitting, many cities the right of way permit will be for the whole day, whether you use it the whole day or not. Though that’s not true everywhere. And when you’re dividing up the day into categories for bike racing, you can spread out those costs across a greater number of individuals than sending off 200 triathletes at once.

Also for police, most departments have a 6 hour minimum for special events. I’ve organized numerous 5k’s where we have a course open for 2 hours but are paying for 6 hours with of police. Just kind of the way it goes.

Liability insurance policies also typically cost more when you put people into the water. Plus you need to pay lifeguards out there too.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In france IM racing is ridiculously expensive compared to local club races. There are many Half ironman very well organised in sub 130$ pricing. Also i'm tired of all the useless mess WTC is giving me, useless bag, useless medal ... what am i supposed to do with this garbage. Anyway i felt so wrong after paying 500$ for my world championship slot that i sweared it's the last year i feed this company. Thankfully there are better options.

I did a 6 day mtb race with a very fine organisation that was cheaper than a single ironman (Transmaurienne Vanoise) oO.
Last edited by: Ajaj191: Aug 18, 19 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$110 for an Oly would be great. Anything near Austin is over $100 for a sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.

This

Hard to beat the value for money of parkruns.

I stopped doing tris in the UK as I am tired of being hunted by some oaf in a Range Rover.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Why the hell did I register for AUGUSTA for $375? Lol

Lesson learned

Thanks guys

See you September 29th!

I’m doing Augusta for the second year in a row. I have family that live there so I don’t have to pay for a hotel room. I live 3 hours away so that’s nice as well. Augusta comes out to just over $400 after fees and insurance. I did a local 70.3 in May, it was right around $250. Not as much swag but overall, the experience was good.

I’m glad I paid the price for Augusta for my first 70.3 experience, now I’m kind of over it. This will likely be my last year doing Augusta because of pricing.

The thought of $250 for some of the other races is great, but if I end up having to travel and pay for lodging I would be well over $400 before all said and done. I could probably convince the wife to let me do gulf coast since PCB is only 4 hours away.

I’m happy with my local races and will likely continue to participate in them. Not sure about Ironman branded events going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been really disappointed in IM/WTC’s post race food the past few years. I’ve seen tacos, pasta, salad, etc for food. They seem to want to provide fancy food for after the race. What happened to just freaking pizza?!? I don’t want fancy after the race, I just want simple.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next