Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes question
Quote | Reply
I'm an advanced runner, usually putting in 30-50 miles a week. I just finished my first ultra marathon. I've always only had one pair of running shoes at a time.
I'm in the process of looking for a new pair of shoes and I'm considering whether I should buy another pair of the same shoes or a different brand/model. My current shoes have about 500 miles on them now so it's time for a new pair...or 2.

I've read that it's a good idea to run with 2 different types of shoes for training. Anyone have any input on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes question [thehayeser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally rotate through a few (several:) pair of shoes, and I use different brands/models depending on the run. For example, I am currently running long in OnCloud Surfers, short and fast in the oncloud racer, trails in Saucony Perigrine, and med and tempo runs in Saucony Kinvara. My feet love the variety! Good luck. btw- my running mileage when not in tri-season is about like yours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do people run in different kinds of shoes? I wear Altra, so I'm pretty confined to what they offer. I tried going back to a shoe with drop and hated it

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes question [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running in Brooks Ghost 11 now and I love them. I've always stuck with the same shoe if they work for me, just wanted some opinions on running in multiple brands and types.

It makes sense to me to stick to what works, but I've read a lot about ultra running and many people have 2 different shoes that they swap out every week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a multi shoe rotation for training. Multiple makes/models/heel-toe drops (but all the same general type = "light stability"). In theory, I guess this is supposed to reduce the risk of repetitive use injuries. Maybe that works, and maybe it doesn't.

On the positive side, I wind up trying out more models that I might not usually buy. I also enjoy having the variety and getting more acquainted with the different feel of each shoe.

Current rotation: NB Vongo 2, Skechers Forza, Brooks Ravena, NB Vongo 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally just run a pair of (every day) shoes to their limit and then replace them with a new pair just like them.

I sometimes change shoes during the week if I'm trying to break in a racing shoe, running rocky/mucky trails or just trying something else out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really matter. Do what works. If you have no problems currently, don't introduce problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes question [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Why do people run in different kinds of shoes?

BC there is a fair bit of research showing you are more durable/less injuries if you have more than 1 pair and are rotating models/brands.
Go to pubmed and search

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes question [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
Why do people run in different kinds of shoes?

BC there is a fair bit of research showing you are more durable/less injuries if you have more than 1 pair and are rotating models/brands.
Go to pubmed and search
To piggy back here, the different variations in each shoe don't/shouldn't allow for certain stabilizing muscles (different muscles) from firing. So your feet are constantly adapting, not getting complacent (I'm not sure that's the right word, but you get my drift).

Also, this could all be BS, but I have like 12 different types I use (terrain dependent for a few), but never run in the same style 2 days in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thehayeser wrote:
I'm an advanced runner, usually putting in 30-50 miles a week. I just finished my first ultra marathon. I've always only had one pair of running shoes at a time.

Have you generally been healthy and injury-free?
If so, no reason to change what's been working.
Quote Reply