Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does a recession see an increase in multisport?
Quote | Reply
Also sorry I missed the boat but what’s Ironman’s IPO?
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, no.

And the parent company for Ironman, Wanda Sports, is going public (aka IPO)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if I don't have a job, I probably have *a lot* more time to workout.

But not any money to actually register for any races, or buy bike parts or new running shoes. Or crap from the Ironman store tent.

So it's probably a net negative for multisport during a recession.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think recession does correspond with an increase in multi sport.

It is true that some people spend a ton of money on equipment. But they don't have to.

The biggest expense associated with triathlon is the time that one spends training.
This time is worth less during a recession.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. People don't feel comfortable spending money in a recession (unless it's for booze and drugs... you know... the essentials... ;), and if they don't have a job they are going to be looking for one!

I live in a tourist town and in 2008 even the people who were richer than God didn't spend money for some reason. Many of these had oil money and were doing very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I’ve heard yes. People forget that there’s more than just IM. When I started it was in the beef of the recession. I rode an Allez with clip ons. Can’t say for sure as to why. But my economics teacher once said people spend money regardless. My theory is tri is fun. Vacation is fun. Vacation cost more than tri. Might as well his the bucket list.

For what it’s worth tri was way more crowded during my early years in that recession. However n=1

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
The biggest expense associated with triathlon is the time that one spends training.
This time is worth less during a recession.

You're assuming someone is unemployed, which wasn't the question. I would argue for the vast majority of people who keep their jobs, there are added levels of stress and more hours dedicated to work, contingency planning, etc. Which leaves far less time for hobbies like triathlon

For unemployed people, sure I could see an increased amount of time going to training. But that is still a small percentage even during a recession. The widespread economic impacts are going to far outweigh the increase in time for a small subset of the population.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recession or not, unemployed or not. My biggest fear is getting injured from bike crash. I've seen a couple of people still paying medical bills and my health insurance deductible is $4,000. Not to mention, not being able to function well and giving up training and whatnot. If that happens during recession, it's going to hurt in some way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a recession see an increase in multisport? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can confirm that this blows. I just broke both my elbows in a mountain bike accident and my deductible is $4k. So far I'm at $1k worth of bills and I still have physical therapy to go through.
Quote Reply