Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots
Quote | Reply
I have heard after the reguler age group Kona spots they would give additional spots for AWA. Is this accurate?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could you add color to that?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotthb wrote:
could you add color to that?
Thanks

From an email I received April 5, 2019:

Email from Ironman wrote:
You’re Invited!

The All World Athlete (AWA) Challenge is an exclusive event where current 2019 All World Athletes get to go head to head. This invitation only event will be hosted at IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health on October 13th, 2019, the same weekend as the IRONMAN World Championship. In addition to the 40 qualifying slots for the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship, there will be 26 additional IRONMAN World Championship slots that All World Athletes are eligible to earn. These additional qualification slots make IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health the best race globally for All World Athletes to qualify for the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship.

Below is a full list of additional features athletes can expect to see at IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health:

Additional Kona Slots
26 IRONMAN World Championship slots will be added that 2019 IRONMAN All World Athletes are eligible to earn. These slots will be announced after the 40 IRONMAN World Championship standard qualifying slots are announced. All together IRONMAN Louisville will offer 66 IRONMAN World Championship qualification slots.

First in the Water
All World Athletes will have the option of starting the swim through their own exclusive starting lane.

All World Athlete Lounge
IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health will be the test site of a new potential All World Athlete benefit. Athletes will have access to an exclusive All World Athlete lounge. This lounge will be open during IRONMAN Village expo hours and will offer athletes the ability to relax, socialize and prepare for race day with other All World Athletes. Refreshments and recovery tools will be provided by our partners.

Kona Viewing Party
The IRONMAN World Championship takes place the day before IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health and a viewing party will be offered for athletes who’d like to watch the 2019 Kona action with their fellow racers.

Welcome Ceremony & Awards Banquet Seating
To celebrate our All World Athletes, and our inaugural All World Athlete challenge, dedicated seating for athletes will be provided at both the IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health welcome ceremony and awards banquet.

If you have a dream of competing at the IRONMAN World Championship or are looking to qualify again for the IRONMAN World Championship then we’ll see you at 2019 IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health. There is not a better race globally to qualify for the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, but how are they allocating those 26 slots?

Do they go to the next 26 fastest AWA athletes? Is it an additional slot per age group?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

Do they go to the next 26 fastest AWA athletes? Is it an additional slot per age group?

That's all the info I had. I am guessing they are giving each AG one extra slot, and maybe M35-39 and M40-44 get two extra... or whatever the allocation winds up being. Then I guess those roll down from wherever the rolldown stopped.

Are you racing IMLou?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is explained on the website that its 1 spot per AG. https://www.ironman.com/...hlete-challenge.aspx

So lets say there are 3 traditional kona slots for your AG and 1-3 take the slots, if 4th place person is not AWA and 5th place is AWA, then 5th would get the AWA slot for that AG. They don't really explain rolldowns for the awa slots if there are no finishers or AWAs in an AG. The RD posted a video about it on the IMKY FB page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

That's all the info I had. I am guessing they are giving each AG one extra slot, and maybe M35-39 and M40-44 get two extra... or whatever the allocation winds up being. Then I guess those roll down from wherever the rolldown stopped.

Are you racing IMLou?

I feel like I at least should consider it. However, after coming in 25th in the M35-39 age group at Placid...I'm not sure it makes sense. There has to be a number of AWA folks ahead of me that will take the slot.

Are you going to race it?
Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 16, 19 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

You would think they would break down the slot allocation first by one per age group where there is an athlete then by the total number of AWA athletes (Y), the total number of AWA in each age group (X) then allocating (X/Y)*(remaining slots) to each age group. Not sure why it would be any different.

That's outside fo the debate if AWA on the frequent flier plan deserve extra slots, but that's another topic.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville AWA Kona Spots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know IM Louisville was canceled but do they do something like this for AWA with any other races currently?
Quote Reply