Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you seriously arguing the definition of “contrived” now?

Let it go. It’s a stupid rule, well written, properly enforced.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emantell wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Good, it's about time we return to racing and away from snowflake everyone wins mentality. Forces other athletes not to sand bag as you can still place. Would still like to hear from these 2 women on what were they thinking

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ic_preview_7381.html

You literally have a website that is called coupleofathletes.com about you and your newly wed wife and how you're bonding, but you're calling them snowflakes... They are roommates, best friends, and just crushed everyone in the race. They'd dunk all over you. sit down and shut up

This.

OP complains about the way training partners celebrate. Has an "everyone look at me" website.
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elitist Jerk wrote:
emantell wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Good, it's about time we return to racing and away from snowflake everyone wins mentality. Forces other athletes not to sand bag as you can still place. Would still like to hear from these 2 women on what were they thinking

You literally have a website that is called coupleofathletes.com about you and your newly wed wife and how you're bonding, but you're calling them snowflakes... They are roommates, best friends, and just crushed everyone in the race. They'd dunk all over you. sit down and shut up

This.

OP complains about the way training partners celebrate. Has an "everyone look at me" website.

Did he complain about how training partners celebrate or did he complain about how other people are illogically taking issue with a properly enforced rule? I can’t remember...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So would you have less objection to the rule, if they drop the term contrived tie and simply state "Athletes who make no effort to separate their finish times, will be disqualified"?

You could call the finishing maneuver a tomato for all I care, what's really the important part of the rule and how it's applied is that piece I stated above, not whether or not there is .001 seconds between them or it's "a tie"...
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
emantell wrote:
synthetic wrote:

This.

Did he complain about how training partners celebrate or did he complain about how other people are illogically taking issue with a properly enforced rule? I can’t remember...

Part 2. But once again I say, i would like to hear the story from the two brits..
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reread your OP and it totally sounds like you’re bashing the athletes IMO

Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yo - totally agree, the rule was properly enforced, it's probably clear at this point that they weren't aware they were breaking the rule and didn't intend for this. If they had held hands like 3 seconds later nothing would have come and all would have been fine, and Synthetic could go back to never having heard of ITU racing before this incident. I have an issue with him basically saying that they're awful humans for trying to celebrate a great moment together, and talking about how they "sandbagged" while they just beat a world champion by a couple seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
The system itself does eliminate ties, look back to London, they had to go to thousandths of a second to split Spirig and Norden for Olympic gold and silver, the rule doesn't prevent tying, it prevents contrived ties...

I don't think their premise was to cheat the system, if anything it was more to give the system the middle finger, since it didn't matter what either of them did in the event, because it was shortened, neither could auto-qualify for the olympics, and there is no prize money at the test event... But based on both of posts from both Jess and Georgia on their social media, there was no ill-intent, they are friends and training partners, and they wanted to share the victory, realizing that whomever beat the other really changed nothing for them... Reading between the lines, it looked like they wanted to share the experience, who beat whom made no difference between them in terms of olympic selection, or prize money, or WTS standings, and they were unaware of the rule that meant those actions would result in a DSQ...

Again, I'm not defending the rule, because I'm not sure that i agree with it, but regardless, it's a rule that's clear and explicit in the rulebook at the moment, so it had to be enforced... I won't be shocked to see that rue being modified or removed in the next revision to the ITU rules...

If every rule was 100% enforced in every race, most of the field would be DQd in every triathlon.

And in real life... every adult would be penniless from a multitude fines and in prison for years of their life.
Speeding 31 in a 30 zone for 5 seconds ? You're nicked.
Half an inch over a solid white line ? You're nicked.
Take a pen home from work one eve in your pocket? You need locking up for years - you're a stealing untrustable crim.
Charge you cell phone at work. Electricity thief. Need banging up for even longer.
Etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s your argument?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people have illogically and fallaciously argued that the ITU should have used discretion but I’d argue that they did, or tried to, but the hand holding cinched it and took it out of their hands...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emantell wrote:
Yo - totally agree, the rule was properly enforced, it's probably clear at this point that they weren't aware they were breaking the rule and didn't intend for this. If they had held hands like 3 seconds later nothing would have come and all would have been fine, and Synthetic could go back to never having heard of ITU racing before this incident. I have an issue with him basically saying that they're awful humans for trying to celebrate a great moment together, and talking about how they "sandbagged" while they just beat a world champion by a couple seconds.

Don't know what ITU is? I got 5 more years on this forum than you :)

Maybe ITU is using this incident to show brownlee event won't happen again?
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
everyone wins mentality.

Haha! This was the exact opposite of "everyone wins". (DQ aside) They crossed the line 1-2.

I love internet 'splaining of "competitive spirit" to athletes who could metaphorically rip your still-beating heart out and show it to you in a triathlon, 95% of men on this forum included.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 16, 19 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, if that were Ali and Johnny Ali would have given him the Lance Armstrong / Jan Ulrich stare and dusted him, brother or no

trail wrote:
synthetic wrote:
everyone wins mentality.

Haha! This was the exact opposite of "everyone wins". (DQ aside) They crossed the line 1-2.

I love internet 'splaining of "competitive spirit" to athletes who could metaphorically rip your still-beating heart out and show it to you in a triathlon, 95% of men on this forum included.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Trauma and All,

Trauma wrote in part: So would you have less objection to the rule, if they drop the term contrived tie and simply state "Athletes who make no effort to separate their finish times, will be disqualified"?

In the same vein .....

Here is a $56,100 fine for 'not trying hard enough' ...

https://www.today.com/...bledon-match-t157769

Excerpt:

Wimbledon officials had a clear message for Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic after his first-round loss this week: You're going to need to try a little harder than that.

Tomic, 26, was fined the maximum of ÂŁ45,000 ($56,100) for his underwhelming play in a 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 loss Tuesday to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
So would you have less objection to the rule, if they drop the term contrived tie and simply state "Athletes who make no effort to separate their finish times, will be disqualified"?

You could call the finishing maneuver a tomato for all I care, what's really the important part of the rule and how it's applied is that piece I stated above, not whether or not there is .001 seconds between them or it's "a tie"...

No, I wouldn’t have less objection to the rule because it would be the same meaning, just using slightly different words.

Even Eric is agreeing with me that it’s a stupid rule. The way it’s written, that’s how it needs to be enfirced, but it doesn’t make the rule any less dumb.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Trauma and All,

Trauma wrote in part: So would you have less objection to the rule, if they drop the term contrived tie and simply state "Athletes who make no effort to separate their finish times, will be disqualified"?

In the same vein .....

Here is a $56,100 fine for 'not trying hard enough' ...

https://www.today.com/...bledon-match-t157769

Excerpt:

Wimbledon officials had a clear message for Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic after his first-round loss this week: You're going to need to try a little harder than that.

Tomic, 26, was fined the maximum of ÂŁ45,000 ($56,100) for his underwhelming play in a 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 loss Tuesday to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

this is great! if I remember, one of the MMA organizations UFC gobbled up into its league, had a rule that would fine fighters $3k for lack of action
Quote Reply

Prev Next