Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
GTN did a quick video on it. It's a stupid rule. A rule nonetheless, but it is stupid. They're on the same team, and clearly contested the entire race up until that final 15 seconds or so.

So I guess the lesson is to not hold hands and pretend to sprint.

Is it really such a stupid rule in what is supposed to be a race ?

I was at the 2012 Ladies race with a great finish between Spirig and Norden.

I'm every would rather have had that.

Sometimes us Brits try to be too nice.

I think it's a dumb way to get DQ-ed
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
tanzbodeli wrote:
As has been said, it's a rule, but it's a very stupid rule. Or at least, there should be some allowance for interpretation. The circumstance that occurred cannot be what the rule was intending to penalize/prevent. Shame on the judges or race organizers from not applying some reasonable judgement here.

Why? These are professional athletes. Professionals, in theory (yes, in theory) should uphold some degree of professionalism (remember, I said in theory). Trying your hardest is what professionals should do. What reasonable judgement do you recommend in this case? The rule is clear, a contrived tie is a DQ. Had they both been red-lining when crossing the line, the rule would not have applied. But they didn't and hey, in fact, held hands, so it was.

Well, the easy way is to make it such that a "contrived tie" is not possible under the rules. Someone had to cross the line before the other person.

We all get what the rule "is". No-one is disputing the rule. The issue is that the rule seems to be stupid. They outperformed every other athlete on the course that day. They aren't assisting each other. and they're on the same team, presumably working as a team. It actually seems to have nothing to do with whether they were redlining it or not, or trying your hardest for the last 15s of the race or not. It's simply because they held hands in a "contrived tie" which seems like it would be easy enough to determine which one of the women crossed the line first, irrespective of holding hands.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That finish was done like that because they were racing for something. In this case this was pretty much an “exhibition” for those particular ladies. They had no qualification pathway, it mattered zero who won or lost.

And mind you imo they put in an professional ass whooping against that field.

So there’s a bunch of factors as to why they actually finished that way. They weren’t trying to show up anyone. It truly was an appreciation of the hella great result they both just had.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Which has zero to do with any of this. There's already a penalty for that, you lose a spot in the placings.

This is, in essence, a rule that invalidates the athlete's entire race because they don't "try hard enough" in the finish chute. I'm not aware of any other sports which will DQ you for not trying hard. Actually, it's even for less than not trying hard. It's for not "appearing" to try hard. It's likely that if they simply ran across the line next to each other in the exact same positions, there would be no DQ. But they were DQ'd for holding hands.

stupid rule.

This past June, Wimbeldon fined a player $56K for "not trying hard enough" (technically, for not meeting the "required professional standards"). It's not a DQ but $56K isn't chump change.

I didn't know that. I assume that was for lack of performance over a prolonged period throughout the match? I can't click on the article.

This is more like being up 5-0, 40-0 in the last set of a doubles match and getting DQ'd for not returning a serve.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on Deadspin

https://deadspin.com/...t-for-cro-1837275031

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
It's on Deadspin

Bermuda, Bahamas.... no difference right?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you didn't fix anything.

It's almost as if they sad down, did some analysis, and made a list of things that shall not be allowed. OMG, the rules!

It's clear cut. That is not in dispute.

You're welcome to disagree that the rule is necessary, or a good one though.

E

JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I would argue this is *exactly* what they wanted to prevent when the wrote the rule. It’s a *rule*, voted on, approved, and written down on paper. It’s very clear. No judgement or interpretation allowed

FIFY.

Rules can easily be written so that they do allow for judgement to be made.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I would argue this is *exactly* what they wanted to prevent when the wrote the rule. It’s a *rule*, voted on, approved, and written down on paper. It’s very clear. No judgement or interpretation necessary

To what end though? Sure, this is "exactly" what they wanted, but why did they want this scenario, (i.e. where 2 teammates have a dominating lead and decide that because they're buds, they're going to celebrate the win as a team) to be a DQ'able offense.

What is the underlying sporting purpose here? Because to a casual fan, it seems pretty odd to invalidate the clearly well earned #1 and #2 spots simply because they held hands.

If only there were a place where we could go and find out the answers to your admittedly good questions.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was clearly referring to the rule itself not permitting any discretion. Not interpretation of the existence of the rule.

This whole thread is about whether the rule is a good one, not whether it exists.

You also seem to be under the impression that there are never any unintended consequences of the rule book.

ericMPro wrote:
you didn't fix anything.

It's almost as if they sad down, did some analysis, and made a list of things that shall not be allowed. OMG, the rules!

E

JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I would argue this is *exactly* what they wanted to prevent when the wrote the rule. It’s a *rule*, voted on, approved, and written down on paper. It’s very clear. No judgement or interpretation allowed

FIFY.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
RandMart wrote:
It's on Deadspin

Bermuda, Bahamas.... no difference right?

An island is an island, right?

Brody : It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with any of that. I'm glad we agree.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
I was clearly referring to the rule itself not permitting any discretion. Not interpretation of the existence of the rule.

This whole thread is about whether the rule is a good one, not whether it exists.

You also seem to be under the impression that there are never any unintended consequences of the rule book.

ericMPro wrote:
you didn't fix anything.

E

JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

FIFY.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were DQs at the last summer Olympics in Volleyball and Badminton IIRC for teams that were already through to the next round purposefully losing to get easier competition in the next round. One could argue though that this is no different than a pitcher intentionally walking a batter (i.e. strategy, not lack of effort).

In a true competitive situation, athletes who tie for the win each get the gold and the next finisher a bronze. I'm guessing the rule was to prevent athletes from trying to get two golds awarded.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The funny thing is they almost always go to the video/picture of the finish and there's always an winner and loser. They even did this in this event. JL's "belly" beat GTB's "lean" body (I say that from JL's post game comments on her getting awarded the win).

So even if they try and tie, there never is actually a tie. Hell London 2012 there was a "tie" with a sprint finish and they went to video/pics to decide who won and named a winner.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
There were DQs at the last summer Olympics in Volleyball and Badminton IIRC for teams that were already through to the next round purposefully losing to get easier competition in the next round.

Sweden tried that in their game against USWNT in the Group Stage of the World Cup to get into an easier bracket in the Knockouts, then meet again in the Final

How'd that work out?

Oh yeah

Quote Reply
Re: Joint celebration equals disqualification [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As they say: The race is not always to the swift.....but that's the way to bet it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I'm guessing the rule was to prevent athletes from trying to get two golds awarded.

I don't know when this rule was introduced, but I remember the Brownlee brothers being warned not to do this in the London Olympics. In the end Gomez separated them, but there was a significant worry before the race that Alistair and Johnny would try to share the Gold Medal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next