Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frankenbike CX/Gravel Upgrade
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice on upgrades for a 2013 Saracen Hack 1, which has been used as a winter road bike or for going to the shops since I bought it. The parameters of the upgrade include the fact that the bike has post mounts and an 8/9/10 speed freehub. I want to upgrade from the truly horrible cable disc brakes (160mm rotors) and Sora 2x9 gears to something I could use for CX races, gravel riding or winter road. I won’t be troubling any podiums so it’s really a ‘get it done’ upgrade rather than high performance. If I suggest buying a new bike my wife will leave me but upgrades are a viable discussion.

I appreciate the post mounts limit my brake options significantly, but from a Shimano perspective I have looked at the Tiagra ST-4720 2x10 levers, but start to get really confused when it comes to calipers. Would the Deore M6000 work with this for a budget option, or would the more expensive BR-RS785 calipers be a better option? I’m fairly clear about what would be required in terms of cassette and rear derailleur.

I know nothing about SRAM but I am open-minded about different component manufacturers. I am open to 1x, but concerned that I might lose some gearing options when the smooth tires come out for this to be used as a winter road bike.
Am I looking for something that doesn’t exist or can people suggest some options? Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike CX/Gravel Upgrade [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a world of difference between cheap mechanical disc brakes and higher end mechanical disc brakes. The best cable discs will perform similarly to hydraulic discs when set up correctly but may need more regular tweaking due to cable stretch. For what you are suggesting I would stick with something like TRP Spyre's which are widely available in a post mount option. I would then put the money into new 105 11 spd shifters and the shimano 11 spd cassette that fits on a 10 spd wheel (its an 11-34 designed for this purpose). Alternatively the latest generation of standard Tiagra is great and doesn't require a specific cassette. Whole build should be less than the Tiagra hydraulic shifters.

At the point you think about going SRAM 1x you will be better off to sell the bike and buy a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike CX/Gravel Upgrade [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I hadn't even considered the possibility of staying with mechanical discs, but this reduces the upgrade cost significantly. Since you seem to know what you're talking about, when I googled the Spyres the TRP HyRD came up too - any experience with these as a best of both worlds option?

I also didn't know the 11 speed cassette for the 10 speed freehub existed, so that's another eyeopener for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have been using Hy/Rd brakes for the last couple of months on a cross/road frame, and they've served me wonderfully. I can't add much more than that. It's limited experience at this point, but it's something.

I've heard the spyres are also good but no experience with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at brakes as well for my gravel bike, I currently rock BB5's on mine. Braking power on gravel is fine, issue is every 4-5 rides I need to mess with them as they start to rub.

As others said I have heard great things about the mechanical TRP Spyres, they are some of the best mechanical brakes on the market and very reasonable in price. Not sure on the trp hy/rd but I'd assume they come with the maintenance of hydro brakes.

FWIW, I also have Tiagra 4700 2x10 shifters, I like the idea of going to a 11-speed but when it comes to the cost, might as well just buy a new bike and the reality is I don't know if I really need that extra gear.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Aug 15, 19 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the TRP HY/RDs on my road bike, I really like them. Great stopping power and modulation.

Also consider the Shimano CX mechanical discs. I actually have them on a MTB with short pull levers. They're way better than BB 5/7s. I have an older set, it appears they may have been replaced with the more expensive CX77s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cent on hydro as you mention winter riding. In my experience (in Canada) i have moved away from dropper post and hydro brakes on my fat bike as if it gets cold enough i have had issues with them not working properly. I think it is the fluid that starts to freeze or thicken up. That said it needs to be fairly cold. Therefor I run mech. but assuming this was not an issue i would always choose hydro brakes 1st.
Quote Reply
Re: Frankenbike CX/Gravel Upgrade [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in Scotland so unlikely to experience the extremes you get depending on your location in Canada... Definitely gets below freezing but anything below -5 to -10 Celsius means riding is probably off anyway because of ice.
Quote Reply