fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:
A healthcare system that works

but we can't cram the price of doctors and hospitals down any more than now.

Averaging 294K a year, ones I know with benefits, 6 weeks vacation and working 4 days a week. Not to mention paid vacations to hawaii for "conferences" that are not part of that vacation? Not exactly "crammed" down.

According to salary.com, generalist make $149-247k/year. Average medical school debt is $196k (median is $210k).

Imagine trying to buy your first home on $150k annual salary with $200k of debt.

So with an average $2212/month payment on the loan, thats $26.5k a year, so still starting with $123.5k a year and going up from there.

$150 annual salary. Thats about $103k take home. Subtract $26k a year for loans, that's $77k/year. Went to school for 8 years, so, you are "behind" in your retirement savings. You also had your residency, which set you further behind. Need to catch up. You had virtually no income during your med school and your residency, so, you likely have a shit ton of credit card debt.

Not really any margin there to cram down any further.

I agree the guy at the bottom end of the totem pole doesn't need to go down (but even some of these guys will work at a hospital for a few years at which point the hospital pays off the student debt)

Where is this hospital?

Defiance, OH. That is exactly the deal my niece signed. 5 year contract, by the end the hospital will have paid off her entire student loan debt.

What's her specialty? What is her salary for what schedule?

Family practice. Not what she intended when she started but didn't match on OB, found out that family practice was highly sought after, especially in rural areas. And since she wanted to live in a small town it was even better. She's between 150 and 200 to start but closer to 200 I believe, not sure of exact number because it is really rude to ask someone what they make. So regular office hours, one weekend a month.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Averaging 294K a year, ones I know with benefits, 6 weeks vacation and working 4 days a week. Not to mention paid vacations to hawaii for "conferences" that are not part of that vacation? Not exactly "crammed" down.

According to salary.com, generalist make $149-247k/year. Average medical school debt is $196k (median is $210k).

Imagine trying to buy your first home on $150k annual salary with $200k of debt.

So with an average $2212/month payment on the loan, thats $26.5k a year, so still starting with $123.5k a year and going up from there.

$150 annual salary. Thats about $103k take home. Subtract $26k a year for loans, that's $77k/year. Went to school for 8 years, so, you are "behind" in your retirement savings. You also had your residency, which set you further behind. Need to catch up. You had virtually no income during your med school and your residency, so, you likely have a shit ton of credit card debt.

I agree the guy at the bottom end of the totem pole doesn't need to go down (but even some of these guys will work at a hospital for a few years at which point the hospital pays off the student debt)

Where is this hospital?

Defiance, OH. That is exactly the deal my niece signed. 5 year contract, by the end the hospital will have paid off her entire student loan debt.

Family practice. Not what she intended when she started but didn't match on OB, found out that family practice was highly sought after, especially in rural areas. And since she wanted to live in a small town it was even better. She's between 150 and 200 to start but closer to 200 I believe, not sure of exact number because it is really rude to ask someone what they make. So regular office hours, one weekend a month.

Working in the sticks cheap. They have do something to recruit.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Where is this hospital?

Working in the sticks cheap. They have do something to recruit.

It was exactly where she wanted to be. So not really a tough sell for her. And like I said, I don't know her actual salary, you can ask her.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated my original post with a bit more on environment, defense, and fiscal. Touched a couple of additional areas such as housing and education.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move the country to Gen4 nuclear

Implement this across the country:
https://www.facebook.com/...627919289357?sfns=mo

Balance the budget

Secure the borders. It’s about controlling our borders, knowing who we let in, etc.

Healthcare: this is a tougher one. We are NOT like any other industrialized country. We are also approaching 40% of our HC dollars being spent on chronic disease. We are fat and unhealthy. I would start with supply, more doctors, more paraprofessional (NP, PA, etc.). Work on reducing the debt load for these professions. Can go to medical school after associates degree, things like that. Tackling lifestyle would be the hardest. The only thing people understand is when it hits them in the pocketbook. Expand mental healthcare.

Get govt out of student loans, or at least limit amounts or types of degrees, and allow for trades.

Go hard after drugs suppliers, except marijuana, although I don’t think it is any good either. Anyone who says “legalize all drugs” has never had an addict in their immediate family.

Get us out of the ME

You must take firearm safety to own a gun, and have range time to prove you can use it.
National concealed carry, not state by state, with requisite training required.
Tougher sentences for crimes using firearms.

Criminal justice reform. One set of rules for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
Get govt out of student loans, or at least limit amounts or types of degrees, and allow for trades.

I disagree with this completely but it should be done as an at cost service and nothing else, no interest rate that doesn't go directly to the maintenance of the loan. You borrow X you pay X. There should be no profit in loans for education. I agree it should apply to the trades as well.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
JSA wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Where is this hospital?

Santa Cruz, CA for the 300K

Kaiser in the area is less pay (200K?), but with the debt payoff
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

I disagree with this completely but it should be done as an at cost service and nothing else, no interest rate that doesn't go directly to the maintenance of the loan. You borrow X you pay X. There should be no profit in loans for education. I agree it should apply to the trades as well.

To what do you attribute the massive increase of tuition over the last 15-20 years? Easy access to (basically) unlimited loans. Then Congress sets int rates above market. Awesome plan. Reminds me of the housing crisis.

I think we need to make education as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. This is how we compete in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

To what do you attribute the massive increase of tuition over the last 15-20 years? Easy access to (basically) unlimited loans. Then Congress sets int rates above market. Awesome plan. Reminds me of the housing crisis.

I think we need to make education as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. This is how we compete in the world.

Not that I’ve been looking but I’d like to see something on what’s driving the increase. I’ve been in academia over that time and it’s certainly not been salary increases at least where I’ve been.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

Not that I’ve been looking but I’d like to see something on what’s driving the increase. I’ve been in academia over that time and it’s certainly not been salary increases at least where I’ve been.

Ask yourself, if students couldn’t get unlimited money, could Universities charge it? They can, so they do. Most go to admin and massive building projects. It costs more per month to live on campus with a roommate than to buy a house at many campuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

Banks issued student loans, guaranteed by the government with no consequences, until 2010. Who do you think gave the easy access, it was the banks. It didn't matter to them because they had no skin in the game. The banks made the money from the interest rates if the loans were paid back by the borrow or the government would make them whole if the borrower defaulted. So, regardless, the government was out the money. At least now if someone defaults they are only out the money one time.

I agree we need to make education as accessible as possible but putting the loans back into the private sector is not the answer.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need to figure out how to stop letting big donor and corporate money influence elections and laws. Basically "The Money in Politics Reform Act".

No large donors, no corporate donors, no superpacs, severely limited lobbying, small (or zero?) salaries for politicians.

Getting this done solves or helps to solve just about every other problem we have.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Aug 15, 19 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

Banks issued student loans, guaranteed by the government with no consequences, until 2010. Who do you think gave the easy access, it was the banks. It didn't matter to them because they had no skin in the game. The banks made the money from the interest rates if the loans were paid back by the borrow or the government would make them whole if the borrower defaulted. So, regardless, the government was out the money. At least now if someone defaults they are only out the money one time.

I agree we need to make education as accessible as possible but putting the loans back into the private sector is not the answer.

You just answered your own question. If you could make loans without any risk, would you? Why didn’t they have any risk? The government. I don’t understand your last sentence of first paragraph.

It’s very similar to housing crisis. When the government told banks to make loan to everyone, what happened?
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
We need to figure out how to stop letting big donor and corporate money influence elections and laws. Basically "The Money in Politics Reform Act".

No large donors, no corporate donors, no superpacs, severely limited lobbying, small (or zero?) salaries for politicians.

Getting this done solves or helps to solve just about every other problem we have.

Add unions to that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
dry heat wrote:

You just answered your own question. If you could make loans without any risk, would you? Why didn’t they have any risk? The government. I don’t understand your last sentence of first paragraph.

It’s very similar to housing crisis. When the government told banks to make loan to everyone, what happened?

The government had to step in because banks we getting out of loaning money to students. If your family didn't have money, how were you going to get a loan to get an education? What solution would you have to get money for education if the banks aren't going to lend it?

If I loan you money and you don't pay, I'm only out what I loaned you. If someone else loans you the money and you charge a 8% interest rate, I guarantee your loan to make you whole, I'm out the initial amount and whatever the interest rate would have charged.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Add unions to that list.

You wouldn't have to add them to that list as they wouldn't be able to be a large donor. He spells it out with "No large donors, no corporate donors, no superpacs, severely limited lobbying"

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Add unions to that list.

I agree with the notion of symmetry on this point. No corporate money, no union money.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me your platform [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to run on ending baseline budgeting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Finland right now. I went from downtown Helsinki to a national park and picked berries in an hour on public transport. Awesome.

If I were president I would fix infrastructure with a emphasis on public transport. The only people who would be against it would likely be very rich folks who don't have to deal with traffic congestion and all the hassle of crappy infrastructure.

Don't know how I would do this but also attack influence of paid lobbyists and money in politics.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Social insurance for healthcare - so don't remove any existing access but ensure coverage in the same way that Germany or Switzerland have done

Pharma - I am not sure how to address massive price disparities but the market for pricing medical devices and drugs does not work efficiently to provide best value for consumers

Education - the problem is not who gets in to ivy leagues or the fees associated with them. The problem for most kids starts long before where there life chances are almost zero from the start. Education needs reform. Curriculums need reforming and the employment contracts and unions need reforming

Infrastructure - transport systems in metro and urban areas need to be fit for purpose. Individuals should be incentivised to move away from cars and on to mass transit where its appropriate and deliverable

Corp Tax Avoidance - there needs to be an examination and solution developed to ensure that corporates can't relocate to deprive areas / countries of tax. The field between online and bricks and mortar needs to be levelled so that business owners are not disadvantaged by rates / taxes
Quote Reply

Prev Next