Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Trek SC 7. Non-integrated front end.

It has developed play in the stem.

I noticed it while braking as I was getting a little movement in the front end. While on the bike stand I can grab the bottom of the fork and just gently move it to see the play.

I have torqued the bolt underneath the stem to 6nm with no change.

Is this just worn out bearing in the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like you need a headset adjustment. Couldn't tell from your description but did you loosen the bolt(s) on the side of the stem, then tighten the cap bolt on top of the stem, then retorque the bolts on the side of the stem? If you did all of that, it could be time to replace the bearing.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my description is wrong

It's not actually the stem. Its the fork itself inside the front end of the frame. You can wiggle the fork back and forth about a 1/16 of an inch. it's noticeable when braking. It has no up and down play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I think my description is wrong

It's not actually the stem. Its the fork itself inside the front end of the frame. You can wiggle the fork back and forth about a 1/16 of an inch. it's noticeable when braking. It has no up and down play.

The fork steerer is what inserts thru the bottom of the frame and lower headset bearing then thru the frame headtube and out thru the upper headset bearing. The stem clamps to the portion of the steerer that is above the upper headset bearing. The typical aheadset headset bearing system is tightened using the stem cap bolt. This preloads the headset bearings. Then the stem steerer. Lamp bolts are tightened to hold the fork in the headset bearings. This is what Mike was asking about above. Did you loosen the stem bolts that clamp the stem to the fork steerer before tightening the stem cap? You don’t need much vertical movement to allow the fork to move around when loading it at the axle.

As mentioned above, if the form is still loose after tightening the system you may have a bad headset bearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the description

So it is the fork steerer that has the play. Only horizontal, no vertical play.

The SC 7 does not have the typical stem cap bolt. It has only a plug in the top of the fork steerer. There is a hex bolt of some sort under the plug but is not a bolt head. It is hex opening approximately 7 or 8mm. Under the frame head tube, there is a bolt head requiring 6nm.

I will loosen all these bolts (including the stem bolts) and tighten this evening.

I cannot find a fork/headset breakdown of the non-integrated front end anywhere

Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Needless to say, there should be no play and any play can be very dangerous (mainly due to the possibility of speed wobble at high speeds or if you get a front flat), so you shouldn't ride it that way.

Two options: (1) take it to a Trek dealer and have them fix it, or

(2) If you trust your mechanic skills, read section 6 of the Speed Concept service manual. Here's a copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju2mf87ngu0vk7c/Trek_2014_Speed_Concept_Service_Manual.pdf?dl=0

It explains how to install the fork and stem. Take everything apart and reinstall, torquing all the bolts to the proper torque. Then all should be good.

Edit: just noticed you said nonintegrated front end and I think the 2014 manual I linked only shows the integrated front end so not sure it's the same.
Last edited by: lanierb: Aug 14, 19 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the problem I have. I can't find a brake down of the non-integrated front end

I'm going to post a request in the SC owners thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same procedure, but you replace the integrated stem by the steer adapter.

I bought a used SC7.0 that had this system. When I got it it had a lot of play too regardless of how much I would torque all. In my case, I could see the movement was happening between the head of the steering axle and the steer adapter clamp.

Turns out in my case the issue was wear on the steering axle; I had a spare, exchanged it, then all was solid.

So first step would be to take things apart and re-assemble per the manual; Inspect the headset bearings. If still motion, look if it is happening at the steer adapter interface with the axle. If so, order a new steer axle.

Hoe this helps!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The steering axle would make sense because I have already replaced the bearings a couple years ago due to sweat corroding them

It seems unlikely they would be bad already
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
That's the problem I have. I can't find a brake down of the non-integrated front end

What are you looking for specifically? If you need the assembly manual, PM me your email and I can send you that.

If you haven't worked on it before, best to bring it to a dealer though. It sounds like the bearings would be ideal to replace.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
The steering axle would make sense because I have already replaced the bearings a couple years ago due to sweat corroding them

It seems unlikely they would be bad already

I've been in a bout the last 3 years where I've had to replace the headset bearings 2x per year (indexing issue). So I would not ruled them out based on this.. The top bearing is very small. Depends how much you are riding and how rough are the roads in your area.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loosened everything on the front end and retightened last night and the play has went away. Turning the bars is a little tighter than it was before but the play is gone. I didn't tighten the steering axle too tight but it is a little more than 2nm that it calls for. More like 6 - 8nm. When I loosened it, it was more that 2nm. The lock bolt underneath is at 6nm

I am going to have the bearings changed the next chance I get
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept Fork/Stem [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:

What are you looking for specifically? If you need the assembly manual, PM me your email and I can send you that.

If you haven't worked on it before, best to bring it to a dealer though. It sounds like the bearings would be ideal to replace.

Mitch I sent you a PM
Quote Reply