Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

P09 (I hated it-didn’t fit me well but works well for many)

I have a P09 and it gave me headaches due to the fit. There were a few high spots that pressed into my head. I shaved those down with sandpaper and now it's comfortable.

The biggest problem with P-09 is when the visor is down, air comes in through the gap so my eyes get dry. I wear contacts and this really bothers me. It’s not easy to put on either. For the Sprint and Olympic distance, Aerohead is way to go. My T1 and T2 time is usually within 40-50 seconds and helmet helps me a lot. Most of all, when you have head wind, tuck in and you can tell you are getting the aero benefits from the helmet.

Agree 100%. I don't use the visor on the P09 for the same reason. I also use an Aerohead for sprint and Olympic distance because it's quick to put on and the magnetic visor system works very well. I'd use it for longer distances except that the weight kills my neck after around 2 hours. Thus the P09, which is quite a bit lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

P09 (I hated it-didn’t fit me well but works well for many)

I have a P09 and it gave me headaches due to the fit. There were a few high spots that pressed into my head. I shaved those down with sandpaper and now it's comfortable.

The biggest problem with P-09 is when the visor is down, air comes in through the gap so my eyes get dry. I wear contacts and this really bothers me. It’s not easy to put on either. For the Sprint and Olympic distance, Aerohead is way to go. My T1 and T2 time is usually within 40-50 seconds and helmet helps me a lot. Most of all, when you have head wind, tuck in and you can tell you are getting the aero benefits from the helmet.

I tested the P09 and Aerohead. They were within 1 watt of each other
The P09 tested as fast with sunglasses. The aerohead was much slower without the visor

So if you're not a visor person, the P09 may be a better choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
The Arrowhead is definitely on my short list.
If the Aerohead is on your short list and you have the budget, just get it.

I had a Javelin and loved it, but I wanted to squeeze a bit more theoretical speed from my kit. I researched and debated between the LG-P09 and the Aerohead. The one consistent complaint about the Aerohead is that it gets hot. I race HIM in southeast U.S., so heat is a real thing for most of my races. I picked the P09, but everything I read said that the Aerohead would likely have been a touch faster for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Rudy usually has deep sales and you can snag an aero helmet for half off

I think Rudy in general tests slow.

They also use the Kohl's pricing strategy: mark it up and then offer constant discounts. The Wing 57 isn't a $325 helmet in any way. Even if it's 50% off, you can find an Aerohead for just $10 more.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know the rudy helmets were so bad. Looks like I need to upgrade next year...

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any love for the aero road helmets out there? From the sounds of it, it’s seems like the Giro Vanquish is so close to the Aerohead it might actually be a great choice. Plus a boost in comfort from the full aero.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Any love for the aero road helmets out there? From the sounds of it, it’s seems like the Giro Vanquish is so close to the Aerohead it might actually be a great choice. Plus a boost in comfort from the full aero.

we typically find larger spreads between aero road helmets & true aero helmets than manufacturers report. Often manufacturers report an average drag and not individual data points from the yaw sweep so that gap is smaller/they look more aero than they are

It's pretty rare when an aero road helmet beats one of the better true aero helmets.

I think another thing people don't take into account is the body heat generated to produce watts. If you use a slower helmet and ride 7w more to go the same speed as you could have with a faster helmet, given that the avg human is ~ 20-22% efficiency that's a lot of extra body heat generated. Now is this hotter than a "hot" aero helmet? IDK.

FWIW I've raced the aerohead in 36-39c (98-102F) temps and never though it was hot. I did think running in those temps was not in the top 10 best ideas I had that weekend. YMMV on both of those though

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I didn't know the rudy helmets were so bad. Looks like I need to upgrade next year...

Yeah i have a Rudy too - it does the job for me.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an aerohead. Easy to put on and it tested the fastest in my position, but I find it really hot. I moved to the south and have not worn it once this season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the vanquish compare to the aerohead? I picked up a vanquish for it's dual purpose but always wondered if I'm missing out

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro posted data on these when they first came out....I wanna say something like 60” difference over an IM so not that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are aero helmets as high up on the list if using an aero road bike in olympic races (tucked on the drops for most of the ride)? Are there helmets that can be more advantageous for this position vs on a tt bike?
Last edited by: MBaier: Aug 18, 19 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Are aero helmets as high up on the list if using an aero road bike in olympic races (tucked on the drops for most of the ride)? Are there helmets that can be more advantageous for this position vs on a tt bike?

Yes they are as high up on the list....but way behind aerobars.

Good head position on the drops isn’t that dissimilar to good head position on aerobars.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Aug 18, 19 23:33
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I'm a helmet guy and own about 10 helmets. Bontrager, Kask, Uvex, LG, Giro...etc.
If you want the aero helmet, get Giro Aerohead. Other helmets are not easy to put it on, but all you need is like 2-5 seconds for Aerohead. Please don't buy ugly ass Rudy helmet. They are out of style and I can't stand the design. To put Rudy aero helmet on, you have to open up wide and squeeze your head in. Most aero helmets cover ears, but on Aerohead, visor covers ears, so it's much easier to put on and comfortable. Just trust me and buy Aerohead, you won't regret.
BigBoyND wrote:

I think Rudy in general tests slow.

They also use the Kohl's pricing strategy: mark it up and then offer constant discounts. The Wing 57 isn't a $325 helmet in any way. Even if it's 50% off, you can find an Aerohead for just $10 more.

I sold some stuffs and popped on an Aerohead for $175 that matched my kit better too.

The quest for aero begins

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
s13tx wrote:

I sold some stuffs and popped on an Aerohead for $175 that matched my kit better too.

The quest for aero begins

Did you get it on eBay auction yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon, I bought it in blue because it matches my kit & bike. I suppose a lot of people don't like that color which is why it was so cheap

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Amazon, I bought it in blue because it matches my kit & bike. I suppose a lot of people don't like that color which is why it was so cheap

There was an Aerohead Ultimate in deep blue with gold lettering that went off for around $175 on eBay yesterday. Pretty good deal for whoever won the auction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to go with the ultimate because I didn't want to have problems with overheating when doing long distance due to less ventilation

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my Aerohead in the post today, pretty comfy helmet and looks to have plenty of ventilation. Can't wait to join the aero club :-)

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that I can put it on/remove it in transition with the visor in place, YMMV.

In cases where you may want to place the visor up on the helmet (long climbs, etc.), the ventilation is quite good (the oblong shape gives some good flow under the front) and IIRC in this config it still tests in the range of good aero road helmets (ex. Spc Evade).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next