Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front Page Article - Smiley Triathlon
Quote | Reply
What a great piece, thanks for featuring Dan. Congratulations to david (<that's his user name here)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Them_All__7379.html

sounds like it was a hit, local grassroots will continue to survive with this kind of effort.
he captured the emotional nature of it, that's not something many think about,
so it was nice to see his thoughts on the whole affair. Strong work david!
Good luck next year!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page Article - Smiley Triathlon [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race back when it was 36 North Triathlon! Great event, wish I was still close to the area so I could do it again. Jones Racing Company is a great race company to race and work with, Benji Jones has always been super personable and has a heart for triathletes and the community that triathlon is known for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when you have the forum's perfect gentleman (david) putting on a race; and you have the forum's favorite provocateur (kiley) putting on a race, and you know both of them are going to go all out, putting their hearts into it, i must ask... who's next?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page Article - Smiley Triathlon [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was it basically the same course? I've heard of that race.

2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was 4 years ago so I honestly don’t remember the course, and I didn’t race Smiley. BUT I know it was in Clemmons pool 4 years ago. And Jones was the company then too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very much refreshing to see photos from a race that shows ordinary athletes and not just the elites. Gives newbies a hope that there are indeed races that don't consists of only the best of the best/elites/record holders etc. There actually are ordinary people who don't just crash the competitions,set PRs etc. Very good race, very good article, I wish I live closer, would be fun to participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page Article - Smiley Triathlon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"who's next?"
----------------------------
That is a great question. We all love this sport . . . we wouldn't be here if we didn't. I really believe that focus on grassroots, beginners, and previously unapproached populations is the way to broaden our base and expand our foundation. It is not easy, but it sure is rewarding.

You know what would be interesting . . . Kiley and me putting on a race together!! I had to privilege of meeting him when he came to SwimRunNC which I announced. Kiley is quite a nice and interesting guy. Also, highly intelligent. I bet the two of us would be 1 + 1 = 3!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to have you join us. Note to HeartRN - this is NOT the same race as the 36 North (I was a sponsor every year of its existence), although that legacy certainly gave us inspiration.

The bike course is VERY similar to 36N. The swim is in a completely different facility. The only other Tri swim there that I know of was the Angel's Race in 2010 (I believe). The run course is completely new and much more friendly to less experienced athletes as well as having a bit of a challenge for the speedy. The expo, transition, venue, food, entertainment, etc are all new and will continue to evolve and improve.

Smiley is very focused on the athletes and particularly inviting to beginners and novices. Our goal is to be inviting to all and to provide a remarkable, memorable experience. We even changed a few lives.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Front Page Article - Smiley Triathlon [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a wonderful write-up, and it sounds like a truly wonderful race. As one of those totally ordinary people who really has no business being on a triathlon course, this is the kind of experience that keeps me coming back for more. There can never be enough grassroots sprints that cater to both beginners and the hardcore alike, and it is so fantastic to see that recognised.

As an aside: I was the coordinator for an annual statewide concert band festival a couple of years ago. We had 17 ensembles play from 8:30am to 9:30pm, and over 500 individual musicians participated. I cried like a baby when the first band hit the opening measures of the national anthem. It was an amazing experience, and I'm glad you felt that way about your race. You're absolutely right: you can't fake passion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a great race! The enthusiasm & passion were very apparent. I will be back next year!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sadly not in town that weekend as my Boston Q race I had planned was on that day, but I saw the race developing and the hard work David and a few others put in. David is super passionate and that is true with everything he does.

Every October he also announces our SwimRun NC race and all the athletes speak fondly of the experience
Last edited by: Herbert: Aug 13, 19 22:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david, i think its great you made a big deal of first timers. we actually do special first timer medals, but that very simple
detail of issuing bracelets for first timers is a great idea; everyone knows who they are, and *most* vets are more than willing to help
on game day if needed. perfect! we segment out first timers results too, so they can see how they did against all other first timers,
but they're also in regular age group awards.

what's your thought on allowing people to simply not have their results shown at all? I've been thinking it may be less
intimidating and some may like that. i don't know, just looking for anything to make it easier for new people to come into the sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry - just saw your PM too. I will definitely try to connect. I appreciate your kind comments, but remember, I am a rookie at this.

The results thing is interesting . . . I remember the 1st time I did an IM and it was broadcast live on the web (Canada 1996, I believe). For some reason that put a damper on things for me because it was no longer just me doing what i can, it was public. Something about my race being "public" took a bit of the internal gratification out of it. But, that is IM, and a different place and time. I think people are a bit more accustomed to public information. I also noted many first times at the results booth looking out of interest and figuring out a bit about the sport, and they also had a real interest in the fast people. I didn't hear a single comment of "oh, I'm just too slow for this" or "look how slow I am" etc. I do think we took any "sting" there might be out of it by really celebrating first timers and giving them a genuine congratulations. I also had my 87 year old dad do the run on a team that started last (gave him a professional cyclist). That was both inspirational and had the effect of making others look fast as they passed him on the run - worked out well.

We started the awards ceremony by having all first timers come up to be recognized (~60 of them) and then the experienced came up to give them the largest group hug in the history of triathlon! They loved it! Check out the photo below . . . a real success story. She came to packet pick-up with friends and I talked her into doing her first triathlon. We took care of her all the way through the race, and the day. Note the first timer rainbow wristband to identify her. And, how about that smile coming into the finish shoot. We changed her life!!! Beautiful!

David
Last edited by: david: Aug 15, 19 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We started the awards ceremony by having all first timers come up to be recognized (~60 of them"

Perfect! i know that means a lot to them! thanks for your thoughts on results "yes or no" . we need to
keep thinking out loud on issues pertaining to new entrants to the sport. stay in touch, great to hear it all
went so well!

Quote Reply