Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fox News: All kinds of outrageous bullshit aimed at Obama and the Clintons during their terms
Trumpkins: Eh, Fox News is just entertainment and opinions, why do you lefties get bent out of shape by this?

Bill Maher, a comedian on HBO: I'd actually like to see a recession happen so that Trump can't keep riding the "economy" wave
Trumpkins: Enemy of the people! Enemy of the people!

No shit. Talk about snowflakes. My god Fox and the Trumpkins are the most frightened, thin skinned, offended people on the planet.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
I take it you are ok with a public figure actually advocating for a recession?

I would be upset if I found out he did a magic rain dance that caused it. Hoping for one doesn't really register on my rage meter.

If it makes you feel any better, I hope Trump gets eaten by an alligator while playing golf. If I concentrate really hard, I think I can use my mind powers to make it happen. Barry < Maher < Trump because Trump hopes for the best things while being a truly awful person.

I finally accidentally watched the episode that was inexplicably recorded on my DVR. This is pretty much what he said, even told the precious little snowflakes that they shouldn't get all worked up because he couldn't actually make it happen.

On a side note, and this has nothing to do with him saying that Trump may need replaced at the top of the ticket before he goes Chernobyl, Anthony Scaramucci has really grown on me. He has been on Maher a couple times and he actually gives very reasoned responses. He is not just a partisan hack on there. A lot of people go on these shows and refuse to break character. He is still a conservative but he'll break the party line if the line is dumb.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scaramucci is saying publicly what any true conservative with half a brain is saying privately. Trump has gone off the rails and is a danger to the country. And that’s close to a quote.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scaramucci has said it was the "send them back" stuff that put him over the edge, and he owns the fact that he should have spoken out sooner, but is now calling on Republicans to 'grow a pair' and push Trump out via a primary, for the sake of the country.

As you say, he does sound fairly credible, and at least has the courage to stand up to Trump where so few Republicans are willing to. His father and uncle fought in WWII and he asks, would Trump have wanted to send his grandmother back?
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was on there at least once a while ago. Even though he is more than happy to defend his conservative views he is willing to point out stupid stuff. A lot of conservatives on Maher (and any party on any show where the focus is the opposite party's stances) can barely keep a straight face as they say the most absurd stuff. But The Mooch understands that just because you say one thing is dumb it doesn't mean you have to give up your entire belief system.

It makes him a much more interesting guest and lets you debate real things and not just fling poo.

He just went full Mooch when Trump nominated him, and it made him look like a complete tool. And that seems like that wasn't deserved. He might be a tool, but he is also pretty smart and has some interesting things to say.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
In order to keep Trump from getting re-elected

Enemy of the people?

What would you call someone who's actions- either through action or gross incompetence- might lead to a recession?

Goldman Sachs cuts growth forecast as trade war triggers recession fears

Bank of America raises chance of a recession to 1-in-3 in the next 12 months

I'm going to guess you would call him the "guy you will vote for in 2020" and not anything inflammatory.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
efernand wrote:
In order to keep Trump from getting re-elected

Enemy of the people?

What would you call someone who's actions- either through action or gross incompetence- might lead to a recession?

Goldman Sachs cuts growth forecast as trade war triggers recession fears

Bank of America raises chance of a recession to 1-in-3 in the next 12 months

I'm going to guess you would call him the "guy you will vote for in 2020" and not anything inflammatory.

Yesterday's so-called "de-escalation" of the trade war was still actually an escalation. The US will impose 10% tariffs on another USD110bn worth of Chinese goods starting 1 September, and on a further USD160bn worth of goods on 15 December. US and Chinese officials will talk in a couple of weeks (by phone) and the Chinese have said they still plan to attend talks in the US in September, but it seems highly unlikely anything will be resolved.

The US is demanding significant economic reforms and China wants the US to remove all tariffs. Neither seems likely to bend at this time. China is especially unlikely to show any sign of weakness ahead of its 70th anniversary of the People's Republic on 1 October.

So far the economic costs have not been drastic, but they are building, and the hit on business confidence may grow. 10 year US yields fell below 2 year yields for the first time since 2007 today (see chart below), while 30 year yields are now approaching 2% (currently 2.05%).

Why did Trump 'blink' on tariffs yesterday? Two things: a) the Chinese pressured hard against this next round of tariffs, suggesting they had some success with getting Trump to bend, b) Trump's economic advisers reportedly warned him that these tariffs could result in a poor Christmas retail season, raising the chances of a recession.

I think the risks of a recession are still not large, but as the articles you linked to suggest, they are growing and not just in the US, but also in the EU and parts of Asia. Growth rates in Latin America are also falling quite fast.

Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fox News: All kinds of outrageous bullshit aimed at Obama and the Clintons during their terms
Trumpkins: Eh, Fox News is just entertainment and opinions, why do you lefties get bent out of shape by this?

Bill Maher, a comedian on HBO: I'd actually like to see a recession happen so that Trump can't keep riding the "economy" wave
Trumpkins: Enemy of the people! Enemy of the people!

No shit. Talk about snowflakes. My god Fox and the Trumpkins are the most frightened, thin skinned, offended people on the planet.

Much like the many on the left, it is self-inflicted, many times on purpose. Remember the "half" of Trump's supporters who were deplorable? Somehow overnight every Republican became a deplorable if you were to ask them. It was cool to think of yourself as one and be offended even though everyone knew exactly who she was talking about, and she nailed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why did Trump 'blink' on tariffs yesterday? Two things: a) the Chinese pressured hard against this next round of tariffs, suggesting they had some success with getting Trump to bend, b) Trump's economic advisers reportedly warned him that these tariffs could result in a poor Christmas retail season, raising the chances of a recession.

But why would tariffs impact the Christmas retail season if China was paying for them?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

But why would tariffs impact the Christmas retail season if China was paying for them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

That's a very good question...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

Quoting just to reiterate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Maher WANTS a Recession [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill Maher jizzed in his pants a little today.

T-Rump is blaming the Fed. Nothing to do with ongoing concerns over the easy to win trad war dragging into the new year. Nah, it’s the Feds fault.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next