Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Team USA rolldown process [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has been answered, but I am still confused. I finished 28th in my age group. During the awards presentation, I thought the speaker said if you finished 19 – 30 wait for the roll-down email.

Was going to the lounge for 19 – 30 required?
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [polleyoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
polleyoo wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered, but I am still confused. I finished 28th in my age group. During the awards presentation, I thought the speaker said if you finished 19 – 30 wait for the roll-down email.

Was going to the lounge for 19 – 30 required?

Nope, just wait for the email.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [polleyoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the lounge was set-up for those of us who misunderstood what a roll-down meant and they didn't want us to feel silly.

Also, I didn't realize that it was Top 30, not 25 which makes more sense why my friend was offered a last minute spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [aforsyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aforsyth wrote:
I think the lounge was set-up for those of us who misunderstood what a roll-down meant and they didn't want us to feel silly.

Also, I didn't realize that it was Top 30, not 25 which makes more sense why my friend was offered a last minute spot.

I'm pretty sure it was only 25 last year. Perhaps when they changed the rule they made it retroactive for last year.

I didn't realize it was top 30 this year until the night before the race when some teammates told me. Of course I looked it up myself because I couldn't believe I missed that.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aged up results posted on USAT site now and for the sprint it's even showing the 30% tier eligible for rolldown.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Sorry completely mis-replied. Was more of commenting on aforsythe's comment about how his friend, who was outside of the qualifying range, got a slot.

I understand not giving all the slots away if people don't want them (USAT only wants to field the best racers possible). Though, are all the fees paid by athletes to attend worlds directly associated with the event, or do some go to funding elites and other USAT programs? If the latter, I would think they would want to get as many people to Worlds as possible.
I don't know the answer to that but I'll give you what info I have and believe to be the case from doing ITU Sprint/Oly Worlds a few times. When you make Worlds and TeamUSA the first time it's around $1K to do so.

1. $50 admin fee
2. $250 uniform/name-sponsor printing
3. $300 parade kit
4. $400 race entry

These are rough numbers and paid to different entities with prices fluctuating year to year... admin fee directly to USAT, uniform is bought from the manufacturer, parade kit is from the USAT store, race entry as far as I know is from the race production and you pay on Active. Honestly for the most part I think the Elites are funded through membership fees and other avenues, maybe a little from Worlds fee by us amateurs but not much. I also think Elites aren't compensated great either, especially the ones that aren't top tier. Struggling actors and emerging Elite triathletes probably have a lot in common, financially.

I have the uniform, don't buy the parade kit although I did the first couple of times.. it was lumped into the race entry the first time I did TeamUSA... so I just pay the admin fee and the race entry. I'm no threat to podium at Worlds and skip the parade now as I prefer to rest up before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. That's not terrible for a World Championship event. I think I was getting the cost and funding stuff mixed up with the Canadian team that the other user detailed.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
The aged up results posted on USAT site now and for the sprint it's even showing the 30% tier eligible for rolldown.

Good to see that USAT is making more of an effort to get the rolldowns done quickly. I waited until July 2015 to get a rolldown spot for Chicago worlds held in Sept 2015 and sent multiple emails to USAT to make sure they knew I was interested in taking a spot.

My wife would have loved to go to Switzerland this month for worlds and we were already planning our itinerary if I got a spot on Team USA at nats in Cleveland. I was about 30th position for a spot in the sprint at last years nats and didn't think I had a chance to get a rolldown so I signed up for a trail ultra in France at the end of May. I asked USAT in early April whether all the spots in my AG had been filled for worlds in Switzerland and got a response that I was no. 2 on the rolldown list and I should be hearing from USAT later in the month offering me a spot. The email never came so we went to France. I loved the ultra and the race fees, etc. cost considerably less than tri worlds. I'm planning to go back to do the ultra next May so no tri worlds for me if I'm offered a spot. On July 1, I got an email offering me a spot for sprint worlds in Switzerland based on not on my finish at nationals, but instead on my finish in the USAT rankings, which is funny because I was 59 in the 55-59 rankings and didn't even earn All-American recognition. We couldn't afford two trips to Europe in four months. Looking at the roster for my AG (60-64) in Lausanne it looks like there are 17, not 18, Team USA competitors in the sprint race.

Congrats to everyone who qualified for Team USA last weekend and best wishes to everyone who hopes to get a rolldown spot to race in Edmonton!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 15, 19 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:

I wonder what the qualification standard for next year's Sprint will do the the size of the field, and, therefore, the number of folks who are eligible for a roll down. This year, the overlap of the "30%" rule and open-entry (no qualification necessary) has yielded pretty lengthy lists.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:

Good to see that USAT is making more of an effort to get the rolldowns done quickly. I waited until July 2015 to get a rolldown spot for Chicago worlds held in Sept 2015 and sent multiple emails to USAT to make sure they knew I was interested in taking a spot.

My wife would have loved to go to Switzerland this month for worlds and we were already planning our itinerary if I got a spot on Team USA at nats in Cleveland. I was about 30th position for a spot in the sprint at last years nats and didn't think I had a chance to get a rolldown so I signed up for a trail ultra in France at the end of May. I asked USAT in early April whether all the spots in my AG had been filled for worlds in Switzerland and got a response that I was no. 2 on the rolldown list and I should be hearing from USAT later in the month offering me a spot. The email never came so we went to France. I loved the ultra and the race fees, etc. cost considerably less than tri worlds. I'm planning to go back to do the ultra next May so no tri worlds for me if I'm offered a spot. On July 1, I got an email offering me a spot for sprint worlds in Switzerland based on not on my finish at nationals, but instead on my finish in the USAT rankings, which is funny because I was 59 in the 55-59 rankings and didn't even earn All-American recognition. We couldn't afford two trips to Europe in four months. Looking at the roster for my AG (60-64) in Lausanne it looks like there are 17, not 18, Team USA competitors in the sprint race.

Congrats to everyone who qualified for Team USA last weekend and best wishes to everyone who hopes to get a rolldown spot to race in Edmonton!

That's interesting... Maybe they just sent you the wrong email text regarding how you qualified...
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Yes... You can only do 1 in canada.
Olynpic rolldown should start ASAP.
Sprint roll down wont start until after the fall when Draft Legal Nationals happen

I fully believe you but just curious where I can see this on the ITU site or where did you get this info? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have the information about only being able to do one race in Canada on the USAT site under Team USA info. It was also on the AGNC page.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [aforsyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aforsyth wrote:
I didn't realize that it was Top 30, not 25.

Apparently, neither does USAT: The aged up results reference only the top 25 eligible for rolldown.

https://www.teamusa.org/...4C6BD3F5216D1D987F3B

The qualification process does reference top 30, so this is likely just a carryover from the prior cutoff. Still, adds to the confusion.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who was in the top 25 for 20-24 and she just got her Olympic (and sprint) roll down emails today
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
I have a friend who was in the top 25 for 20-24 and she just got her Olympic (and sprint) roll down emails today

That's interesting..
So that means the sprint top 8 rolled to the twenties already for her age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to get in via AG ranking for Du Team USA at Almere next year. The whole process is so confusing. It looks like the women ahead of me in rankings were at Nationals this year (same weekend as Boston Marathon - I chose Boston). The rules say that if there are slots left after they go through the people from Nationals, then they get offered to people based on their rankings. I assume this means rankings as finalized at the end of the year, so I wouldn't hear from them until January at the earliest. Is it worth it to email them to let me know if there are any unclaimed spots from Nationals? It would be so much easier to know this soon -- there are other races I'd like to sign up for if I know I'm not traveling to the Netherlands in September 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psht, Netherlands. If Du's your game, go long!!

(Said while I contemplate bothering to go to Florida to qualify for ITU long distance Du world championship, vs just signing up for Zofingen directly.)
(Also said tongue-in-cheek as there is no end to my trying to coerce my friends into doing something with the name Zofingen attached.)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize you were considering Miami. I was thinking about it to get a tri long course spot at Almere, but that's pretty much the only draw to Miamiman for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, should have specified. It rolled into the top 18 for the sprint and into the 20s for the Olympic. She was top 18 for the sprint and top 25 for the Oly.
I'm in the top 26 for my age group and it's only rolled to 12 so far. But according to the girl I know who was 12th, they're thinking about rolling down to top 30 for both. Who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
Sorry, should have specified. It rolled into the top 18 for the sprint and into the 20s for the Olympic. She was top 18 for the sprint and top 25 for the Oly.
I'm in the top 26 for my age group and it's only rolled to 12 so far. But according to the girl I know who was 12th, they're thinking about rolling down to top 30 for both. Who knows.

For sprint I don't see why they wouldn't roll down as far as needed to fill the top 8 now rather than wait for November. Keeping within the 30 percent that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Miami doesn't excite me at all, and neither does "just finishing" excite me as a means to qualify for a race I don't actually have to qualify for. But then travelling all the way to Switzerland to race in an age group of 5 people doesn't sound great either. Qualifying would at least get me an AG field near 10.

Anyway, all things to ponder after mid-September. I've got 18+ miles of trail running to survive first.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to update this thread I got my roll down email on 10/5 and had until 10/21 to accept my spot. So, they are still in the process of Olympic roll downs, just an FYI for anyone else that is waiting.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Can I ask what age group?
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA rolldown process [linhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ðŸ‘