Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I just go out for a long run I wear running shorts and a singlet. But it really irritates me when they get soaked with sweat and start sticking to me. I’m more comfortable wearing tri shorts for races.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For IM, on the swim and bike I wore a pair of tri shorts with a short-sleeved tri suit over the top -- that way I had cycling shorts' worth of cushion for the extra-long ride, instead of the tri-suit mini-chamois. (Wetsuit swim, so two-panting it was not a problem there.)

For the run, I ditched the tri suit, kept the tri shorts, put on a running shirt. Cost me a few seconds in T2, but worth it. I don't mind running in tri shorts, but a sleeved top that's aero on the bike is going to be constricting and hot on the long run.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found my Desoto tri shorts to be the most comfortable thing to run in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who prefer to change, what running singlets do you use? I want to try this strategy on my next race(imcz) but can’t find too many options of racing singlets. Guess I’m too used to buy things with triathlon stamped on it. 😬
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [AwayJohnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just do a search for running singlet. Here is one result:

https://rover.ebay.com/...2Fitm%2F263697144464
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Virtually everybody runs in the tri-suit now when virtually nobody used to. Why?
IMO the newer tri suits that fit nice and snug and are wrinkle free and aero, are less comfortable running. It takes <30 seconds to change. Any good reason why virtually nobody does it?

I asked this question last year before my IM. I love running in my lightweight run shorts and singlet. Much more comfortable than my trisuit. But ended up using my sleeved trisuit, following the advice on here and I'm glad I did. The main points people raised were chaffing from using running shorts and the ability to pack ice around your body with the trisuit. The second was invaluable. It wasn't superhot, 82F, but warm enough for me to use ice to cool down. Every aid station I was sticking ice in my cap and ice all inside my trisuit, plus tipping cold water on my trisuit. It meant I was running mostly in a wet, cool trisuit. My Nike dri-fit run gear is lightweight, but you can't pack ice and even if you wet yourself, it would dry pretty quickly. Other factors are lack of pockets for gels, less sun protection. If it was very mild, I'd still consider run gear (possibly), but anything over 75C I'd go trisuit.

It is strange that more don't run in run gear though, especially with MOP and BOPers where time isn't of the essence and on cooler days. Some "larger" athletes look very uncomfortable in their uber tight trisuits. I think it's more of a fashion thing. No-one runs in run gear anymore.
Last edited by: zedzded: Sep 18, 19 18:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not everyone shares your opinion that it is more comfortable. I prefer the tucked in feeling of a tri suit. In fact, in running races, I prefer tri shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree here. Bought my first pair of running half tights this summer and cannot imagine racing in shorts again. Used to love split shorts but only if I don’t chafe!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: running in tri-suit versus running shorts and singlet in IM [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In long and hot races, I would change from jersey to singlet or loose running tank for the run leg, but now that IM allows you to unzip top almost all the way, I think I’m going to go with a full zip tri top for IMFL. Seems the best way to stay cool up top.
Quote Reply

Prev Next