Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr core speed accuracy [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, my trainer is wheel on so I wasn't thinking of that! Yes, a speed sensor would be a tricky install!
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr core speed accuracy [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
.....I want that software to accurately produce what I will experience outdoors. It is that simple.
But it's not that simple. And if you haven't already fed the software all the requisite details about yourself and your bike, even a a piece of software than can produce somewhat predictive figures has nothing to work with, so what is it you expect? Am I misunderstanding your situation and what you are asking for? If not, then whether you know it or not your complaint boils down to "I bought a trainer, why doesn't magic exist?"
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr core speed accuracy [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Riding software that simulates the course you ride outdoors should be the standard for the software. If not, why should I buy it? I can ride in erg mode at targeted power levels without an issue. If I purchase the software for say the Lake Placid bike course, I want that software to accurately produce what I will experience outdoors. It is that simple.

I agree this would be great but we are still a long way from making this viable. The problem is the dynamic relationship between wind resistance and speed. You would need a trainer/software setup that is able to communicate and respond very quickly and smoothly based on wheel speed rather than power. The current system is build around transmitting power numbers which makes everything lighter, cheaper and more suitable for wireless communications. As things currently work speed is only an afterthought calculated from a power based formula.

Even if you developed software that used cda values to create a resistance to speed curve and could use trainer wheel data to implement the resistance curve I am not sure it would feel real unless you used 3d cameras to track your position in real time and change the cda as you moved. This would be a lot of effort a very expensive. It would however create a 'virtual windtunnel' where you could see and feel the impact of position changes in real time.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr core speed accuracy [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are so many reasons this is likely never going to work out for you, the ones many have mentioned above but also even Formula 1 with huge software budgets still have issues with software simulations, so not likely the common bicycle software is going to simulate riding in real air (outdoor) conditions, maybe 1 trainer will actually simulate coasting? you typically do not get realistic coasting effects on a trainer vs real world, and speed is always going to be a best estimate and there are so many ways to botch it up, ask Zwift. So in reality speed is likely never going to be fully like what will happen when you ride the real course under real environmental conditions. It could probably be improved but I think most trainer manufacturers are far more interested in getting the power right over getting speed right. Just mho
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Kickr core speed accuracy [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Serious question, here--how much of a bottleneck does wireless (Ant+/Bluetooth) has over a wired connection in practical terms of how much data can be captured and transmitted to the app/head unit/PC?
I think the nominal data rate of ANT+ is 12.8 kbs. My FIT file from a 1 hour trainer workout was 186kb. This contained power, pedal dynamics, heart rate, speed, distance data, and temperature. It is not exactly the same as the communication interactions between a trainer app and trainer, but it is probably directionally comparable.

This would have only utilized 3% of the ANT+ bandwidth, so even if trainer interaction is 5x or 10x more data, it still would only use a fractional amount of Ant+ bandwidth.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 15, 19 12:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next