Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been surprised with how much I like my Varia. Forgot to move it from tri bike to gravel bike a few days ago and I noticed the difference. I appreciate having the advance notice and found myself doing shoulder checks much more frequently.

The mirror idea is one I’ll look into.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the varia simply as another tool, a second opinion before I change lanes, etc. It is nice to not be surprised by a car.

Just a few days ago, I'm cranking along in the middle of a hard set with a strong tailwind. I'm probably above 25 mph, getting close to 30 mph (remember the strong tailwind). I see the traffic light ahead of me turn green. I'm in the sweet spot, it has been green long enough that I'm not going to get hit by a red-light runner but I also know I'll make it through the intersection in plenty of time. A car in the left lane goes through the intersection providing cover for me.

As I'm entering the intersection, sure enough a car decides to turn right at their red light. I'm in the aerobars with only a few feet between me and their quarter panel. To my right is a curb and construction zone for a new building. I'm literally dead if I go there. No way do I have time to look behind me to see if the left lane is clear. My only legitimate choice is to slam into the back of his car and hope for the best or swerve left and hope for the best. Thankfully, I had the varia and it was green. I took the left lane, missing the car by about 12". I was going so fast, I ended up passing the car.

Yes, I was stoopid. I almost never go through an intersection on my aerobars. In this case, it would have been tough to stop even if my hands would have been on the brakes. I can't say the varia saved me, but it sure gave me a better chance than "hope for the best". I won't ride without mine and I make sure my wife has hers as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode long this morning on the road on my tri bike. I had all three safety features going: mirror, tail light, and radar. I felt pretty confident, albeit, early Sunday morning on mostly country roads. I will say I get my share of false positives on the Varia but it’s not a big deal having the mirror to validate. I could see where that may be irratiing if you didn’t have one.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i really like the varia, but i will say this...

the majority of my rides right now are feeder / access roads beside a freeway. i was shocked that the varia picked up very accurately all the traffic up on the freeway, but the problem FOR ME is that its a nuisance alarm i completely ignore on my typical ride now.

knowing the thing is as accurate as it is i feel really confident that when im not feeder / access road riding ill be "seeing" the real traffic thats coming up behind me trying to kill me.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next