Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tibbs wrote:
"the Russian looks more like a lumber jack than a cyclist."

A big fat lumberjack at that. I hate that movie.

That's why he got dropped in the mountains. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UNC_Tri_Guy wrote:
They shot part of that movie down the road from my house when I was a kid (Highway T, Labadie, Missouri). If it wasn't for dangerous speeding cars on the hilly curves, Highway T would still be an amazing training route.

Some of the beginning parts of the movie were filmed in Madison on the UW campus. When you turn off of Babcock Drive on to Observatory during the Ironman Wisconsin run, that is where the Kevin Costner character convinced his brother to ride the Hell of the West.

Unfortunately there is a new building in that spot now, so it doesn't look the same any more.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of my favourite movies ever -- watching it now spinning I still get inspired. And for all the cheesy stuff (is Muzzin actually attempting to kill him on the final mountain!!) the idea of Costner knowing the exact moment he quit the Hell of the West years earlier, when no one watching would ever notice, speaks more to me about the internal gruel that is endurance sport. Doesn't hurt that my brother got me into biking and we still go out in the country for rides. A real gem -- and yeah, it gets stronger for me each viewing whereas I find Breaking Away pretty 'meh'
And the trainer and his fat son are awesome
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [bensophoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved Randolph, the trainer's (John Amos) son in the movie. Splashed water on himself to make it look like he was sweating big-time and then tried to convince his dad that he just had "a bitch of a workout". Favorite Randolph line -- "Just think about it Dad, there aren't any brothers in bowling."

Just tried to find out the name of the kid who played Randolph on IMDBdotcom. I never heard of him, but did see that Steve VanZandt (Bruce Springsteen E Street Band guitarist; Silvio on Sopranos) was a cyclist in that movie! Now I'll have to watch it again to try and spot him. That and a +1 for the earlier mention of the Rae Dawn Chong wheel change.
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny99 wrote:
Isn't there a scene where one of the guys is riding while wearing a cowboy hat?

Last year we showed it in the park before the Pro Challenge start in Golden, this year it was Breaking Away. Both really nice nights hanging out with the family watching a bike movie with 4-500 others. You can imagine how the crowd went crazy as they left the brewery and headed through Downtown Golden in the movie.

Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [bvfrompc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the all-time classic cheese-fests that I could never look away from when it was "new" and probably could sit through a few more times.

Still use the line where Amos as coach admonishing one of his female athletes on a treadmill "well, you haven't died yet, so die or do something"...or words to that effect.

Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also David might have had more success sprinting away from 'Eddie' if he wasn't in 4th gear on the flats. I think Cav went as high as 5th gear at worlds last year
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [bensophoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great movie!
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's Hard at the Front" :-)
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [SuperMegaWatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this thread. Highway T out to Labadie used to be a great ride before it became a highway. I remember when St. Albans was just a post office and country store in the middle of nowhere. Also, the scene where they are sitting on wall talking about doing the race together was filmed on the campus of St. Louis University outside the rec center. They were in St. Louis filming and it was easier just to stick a sign in the ground for UW Madison. You can see the rec center, library, and DuBourg hall in the background during the scene.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this was straight up state of the art back in '85!!! campy super record too! tange prestige tubing with lugged construction. go shaver sport!!!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved the way the old freewheels sounded too. At least they got that right in the movie.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beauty! First "real" racing bike I owned. Mine was equipped with Suntour Superbe Pro. I still have it (although it's been retrofitted over the years).

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh hell yeah, that SR gruppo was the shit back when I first started riding (and SunTour was all I could afford, and Shimano was that 'other' company, mostly crap; hard to imagine today before Mtn biking completely changed the game...)
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UNC_Tri_Guy wrote:
They shot part of that movie down the road from my house when I was a kid (Highway T, Labadie, Missouri). If it wasn't for dangerous speeding cars on the hilly curves, Highway T would still be an amazing training route.

I believe the movie starts with him riding across the Eads bridge from E. St. Louis. Nothing more dangerous than that. Also, we ride Highway T every Sunday (at least part of it). Not too bad early in the morning. And it is amazing hilly.
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to watch those two movies all the time! 30 - 35 years ago??

I knew the stunt man who road the bike that got flipped over the cliff. He basically wore a whole body neoprene suit for protection (before slowman invented the triathlon wetsuit!).

Also, Coster really looked a lot like Dave Scott back then!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's commitment to using the search function and not creating a new thread. This was started in 2006!

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm - it was on my front page of this forum near the top ???

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weird.. it is a good watch if you haven't seen it in a while since it's rarely on

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Hmmmm - it was on my front page of this forum near the top ???

My guess is a scammer pulled up the old thread to try and sell something or other, but the offending post got pulled. There seems to be a lot of activity of that sort lately.
Quote Reply

Prev Next