Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course
Quote | Reply
I posted about IM Tallinn here before the race, and it seemed like very few people knew much about it, so I thought I'd share. It was spectacular. I don't say this lightly; I've been pissed at MDot since they killed Beach to Battleship, and generally I only rave about their races if they're conducted by RDs I particularly admire.

1. Location and weather. Tallinn is absolutely beautiful, with tons to do and see, great food and lots of good options for places to stay (reasonably priced). It's easy to get to if you fly to Helsinki and take the ferry over (2-hour ferry ride from Helsinki). The weather the entire week I was there hovered between 63 and 72 (though with the heat wave in Europe they got up to high 80s before I arrived). The historical weather on race day ranges from a high of 63-72, with a 30% chance of rain (unlikely to be t-storms). Race day this year was perfect - high of 63, partly cloudy. This felt incredible after training in record-breaking mid-atlantic heat.

2. Swim. This is the trickiest part of this race. The swim was supposed to be 2 laps in the Gulf of Tallinn. We had been warned that the water temps fluctuate wildly, and the swim could be very cold. Three days before the swim the water temp was 19 degrees celsius - perfect. Early morning the day before the race the water tested at 11 degrees, meaning they would have to cancel the swim. But, and here is an example of some of the best race organization I have ever seen, they did not cancel. Instead they identified a lake about 3 miles away, tested the water there, had swimmers do the course to check for issues, brought in equipment to clear a path for bike out, relocated T1 and all of the race start equipment, revised the swim and bike maps and communicated the change to athletes via every resource you can imagine, all before the morning was over. And the new lake was really, really nice. Water temp 18.3 degrees, calm, murky but no bad taste or smell, one lap for the 3.8 km. If you weren't already aware, you never would have known it was a last-minute adjustment.

3. Bike. This is the safest IM bike course I've ever been on. The roads were completely closed to traffic and in great condition. It's advertised as flat and fast. Not quite the case. It's certainly not hilly, but there are a lot of false flats and low rollers, and yes it felt like 112 miles of nasty headwind. No heavy gusts or crosswinds that make you feel like you're fighting to control the bike, but steady headwind. Every intersection was exceptionally well marshalled (also true for the run) and the aid station volunteers did their jobs beautifully. It was also pretty.

4. Run. Four and a half laps through the tourist parts of Tallinn (seaplane harbor to old town). Personally, I love multiple laps on a full, makes it easier for me to break it up mentally and know what's ahead of me. The run was in the middle for difficulty for an IM run course. Several short steep climbs, more false flats, and also some cobblestone sections to manage. However, because it was the tourist section in tourist season, there were lots of cheering spectators along the whole route, and they never got in the way because of the excellent volunteers taking their jobs at crossing stations very seriously.

In terms of time, partially due to my own error in not adequately checking my equipment prior to the race, I fell a bit short of the day I wanted, but I loved this event so much I almost don't care. I swore this was my last full, but it was such a great experience I am seriously considering going back. I'm almost hesitant to spread the word on this race, since I got in at tier one pricing late in the game last year and it was nice racing in a field that wasn't overstuffed, but I can't begin to imagine why this race isn't a bigger draw and I really want it to succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
they did not cancel. Instead they identified a lake about 3 miles away, tested the water there, had swimmers do the course to check for issues, brought in equipment to clear a path for bike out, relocated T1 and all of the race start equipment, revised the swim and bike maps and communicated the change to athletes via every resource you can imagine

Wow, that is truly impressive; to be honest I could never have imagined Ironman (or any other RD tbh) going to such lengths. Large amount of kudos there.

Congratulations on your finish!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits. We'll just use this lake over here and these roads over there and this field for a transition area. I'm sure it will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits. We'll just use this lake over here and these roads over there and this field for a transition area. I'm sure it will be fine.

Quite likely they had a plan b and already a permit.
I can only say hats off to the organiser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
Early morning the day before the race the water tested at 11 degrees, meaning they would have to cancel the swim.
I'm glad to see them enforcing the water temperature limits, and nice that they had the flexibility to change the location. I think USAT / ITU / WTC all have slightly different temp ranges depending on the length of the swim. But I remember racing Coeur d'Alene back in 2011(?) where the lake was brutally cold that year, like 49F at the turnaround point. A lot of athletes were pulled from the race in T1 due to hypothermia.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Jelana wrote:
Early morning the day before the race the water tested at 11 degrees, meaning they would have to cancel the swim.

I'm glad to see them enforcing the water temperature limits, and nice that they had the flexibility to change the location. I think USAT / ITU / WTC all have slightly different temp ranges depending on the length of the swim. But I remember racing Coeur d'Alene back in 2011(?) where the lake was brutally cold that year, like 49F at the turnaround point. A lot of athletes were pulled from the race in T1 due to hypothermia.

Not counting the current assisted swim at B2B Half, I had my fastest 70.3 swim in a 49 degree lake!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Not counting the current assisted swim at B2B Half, I had my fastest 70.3 swim in a 49 degree lake!

That's motivation to get the hell out of the water! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jelana, thank you for your kind words. It is really-really important for a small country in the back corner of the world to get positive word spread about the IM here - as it was only the 2nd year, the awareness has not yet built up. I am not connected to the race organizers but I volunteered in the T2 bike catch and I am proud we did so well. Welcome back next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grr... you made me calculate everything into Celcius.
I prefer much warmer races, but I've heard all of the Baltics states are far underrated.
I wonder if I could entice my wife to this one.

Does the Gulf of Tallinn have jellyfish? The only triathlon I've ever done in the Baltic sea (Denmark) was full of jellyfish... unpleasant?
I assume they'll keep the swim to the Gulf unless the temperature goes wacky again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for everything by Jelana.

Moreover:
- The best (most aggressive) drafting control of any MDOT race I have attended. Combined with a lot of side wind and ~1000 participants, no/very little drafting.
- They listen for feedback. Last year the biggest problems were lousy draft control and complex run course. Both were fixed this time.

This year race was excellent, transportations and communication lagged a bit (probably partly because of the last minute changes). I would guess that they improve those for next year.
Last edited by: sjuva: Aug 9, 19 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...well you can't please all of the people, all of the time. I'm pretty sure if you'd signed up, you wouldn't have been getting your clipboard out when they promised you a swim :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [Kivisisalik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there, but will add the compliments of two of my former crewmates who did their first Ironmans at Talinn last weekend.
According to them, the organisation was seamless, the course great (they are both 180lb guys so they only like courses where they can bully what hills there are!), and supporters massive.

I'm giving it some serious thought for next year, and it's a draw for my fiancee who hasn't been to Estonia since her confirmation trip in 1990!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report! It's so fun to get some insight into other European Ironmans. I already secured housing for 2020's Ironman but this one will be on my radar for the future. I would love to visit Estonia.

And congrats!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [sjuva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not kidding about the refs! I was overtaking someone on the bike past the 170km sign, and the motorcycle pulled up next to me and was counting the seconds on my pass (a little stressful because I was passing a dude who had blocked me/sped up as I tried to pass a few km previously). Happy to see it, bc otherwise I could see that course being a draft fest.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I prefer much warmer races, but I've heard all of the Baltics states are far underrated.

Does the Gulf of Tallinn have jellyfish? The only triathlon I've ever done in the Baltic sea (Denmark) was full of jellyfish... unpleasant?
I assume they'll keep the swim to the Gulf unless the temperature goes wacky again.

The jellyfish in the Baltic are harmless.

The danish coast is not properly part of the Baltic and most of the waters around Denmark is much saltier.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [alibenhassan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alibenhassan wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

The jellyfish in the Baltic are harmless.

The danish coast is not properly part of the Baltic and most of the waters around Denmark is much saltier.

Yeah, Fredericia is where the Baltic and North Sea meet I guess. The jellyfish stung and were an annoyance but not much of a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Quite likely they had a plan b and already a permit.
I can only say hats off to the organiser.
I asked RD, who is a good friend of mine. Actually plan B was born in his head on wednesday morning when we knew that swimming in Seaplane harbour would be out of the question. The original plan B was a duathlon, but he wanted people to have full Ironman experience, so he sought the new place. The team made it happen- permits, tansportation for both T1 equipment from 200km away and transfers, construction etc, etc. So actually this is really impressive :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Returning to this topic from 2019 - has anyone got any further advice on IM Tallinn please?

I'm looking at Tallinn for 2022 in an attempt to find a fast flat course for setting a PB. Obscurely, no elevation data is included on the IM official page.

Bike - labeled as flat, appears to be c.700m climbing and what elevation there is rolls. Sounds like this is ideal for a disc and a fast time?

Run - labeled as rolling, appears to be elevation of c.450m split over 3 main hills. How much does 450m cost over a marathon. Obviously this is highly dependant on gradients etc, but assuming (big assumption) the hills span 5km I can't see the penalty being much more than 2 mins per KM, so c. 10 minute penalty. Is that reasonable?

I've also looked at the coach cox data, which indicates Tallinn is a fast course.

Alternative is Barcelona which by all accounts is a fairly uninspiring course.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey PJH,

I can add a bit here, having done Tallin this year.

Definitely a PB course - bike is super super flat. Real nice road surfaces and completely closed roads. We got a bit unlucky as it was unusually wet and really windy (35mph gusts). I rode a 4:38 including a rear wheel flat 9km from transition. I also made it less than 600m climbing. 100% disc.

Run - It's also a fast run course - one short,sharp hill, and one slightly longer drag, it's really not slowing you down much though and sections where you can really get into your stride.

My strava files are embedded into my race report if you want to read more about the event in general;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2021/08/27/ironman-estonia-07-08-21/

Give me a shout on here or social media with any more specific questions (reason I say social media is I don't come on here that often!)

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tallinn Is My New Favorite Course [spraggz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spraggz wrote:
Hey PJH,

I can add a bit here, having done Tallin this year.

Definitely a PB course - bike is super super flat. Real nice road surfaces and completely closed roads. We got a bit unlucky as it was unusually wet and really windy (35mph gusts). I rode a 4:38 including a rear wheel flat 9km from transition. I also made it less than 600m climbing. 100% disc.

Run - It's also a fast run course - one short,sharp hill, and one slightly longer drag, it's really not slowing you down much though and sections where you can really get into your stride.

My strava files are embedded into my race report if you want to read more about the event in general;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2021/08/27/ironman-estonia-07-08-21/

Give me a shout on here or social media with any more specific questions (reason I say social media is I don't come on here that often!)

That race report was a great read, the spontaneous crying was very funny.

Thanks for the thoughts, will get in touch with some questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do an FAO Mikal Iden. He won in Ironman Talinn with an 8:19, which was a Norwegian record at the time if I remember rightly. He used 4:19 on the bike course so maybe knows a thing or 2 about it :D
Quote Reply