Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I’m not really sure how you got that from Eric’s comment, which was (paraphrased) that the OP isn’t ready to coach himself.

Rather easily in fact. The OP said macro planning was simple and Eric said maybe you're not ready to coach yourself. To me that implied that until the OP understands how to plan out how to get where he wants to go he's going to struggle to get there.

In 20+ yrs of coaching there have been a few consistent things athletes coming to me have had working against them. Most have an idea where they want to go but no idea how to get there.

For example two of the things I wanted to do this year was win the inaugural FS Series Crystal Booty half IM in my home state & contend for the win in my AG at Victoria 70.3 for several reasons for both. When the FS race was announced I sat down and determined what I needed to do in order to get there and get to my goal of trying to win my AG at Vic 70.3. When I needed to dump on huge week(s) of bike volume intervals, when I needed to do/start intervals running, etc. (Won the race overall & then my AG @ the 70.3, 4 points for planning!)

It's easy to say I want to do X and/or Y, and triathletes ime have no trouble doing this. The overwhelming majority will fail in the planning of how to go from I want to do X and/or Y to actually planning this out. That's what Eric was pointing out, that the OP was not grasping that planning is > half the battle and that the day in day out workouts are < half the battle.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 8, 19 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I’m not really sure how you got that from Eric’s comment, which was (paraphrased) that the OP isn’t ready to coach himself.

Rather easily in fact. The OP said macro planning was simple and Eric said maybe you're not ready to coach yourself. To me that implied that until the OP understands how to plan out how to get where he wants to go he's going to struggle to get there.

In 20+ yrs of coaching there have been a few consistent things athletes coming to me have had working against them. Most have an idea where they want to go but no idea how to get there.

For example one of the things I wanted to do this year was win the inaugural FS Series Crystal Booty half IM in my home state for several reasons. When it was announced I sat down and determined what I needed to do in order to get there. When I needed to dump on huge week(s) of bike volume intervals, when I needed to do/start intervals running, etc.

It's easy to say I want to do X and/or Y, and triathletes ime have no trouble doing this. The overwhelming majority will fail in the planning of how to go from I want to do X and/or Y to actually planning this out. That's what Eric was pointing out, that the OP was not grasping that planning is > half the battle and that the day in day out workouts are < half the battle.

Looks like I played right into your hands at that race... ;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

For example two of the things I wanted to do this year was win the inaugural FS Series Crystal Booty half IM in my home state & contend for the win in my AG at Victoria 70.3 for several reasons for both. When the FS race was announced I sat down and determined what I needed to do in order to get there and get to my goal of trying to win my AG at Vic 70.3. When I needed to dump on huge week(s) of bike volume intervals, when I needed to do/start intervals running, etc. (Won the race overall & then my AG @ the 70.3, 4 points for planning!)

I don’t disagree with anything you say, you’re spot on. However, the most obvious implication of his post to me was that since the Op wasn’t ready to coach himself, he needed a coach. That you came away with something different indicated that the post lacks clarity as to the next steps and is therefore unhelpful.

So I’m right and you’re wrong.

:-p

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Looks like I played right into your hands at that race... ;)

hahaha!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add to your list: Triathlon 2.0 by Jim Vance
Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to say the complete opposite; I can write my own workouts all day long, but putting those together in a smart, planned manner over the course of a season is what I would look for a coach to do if I ever got one.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 10, 19 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Considering going self coached next year. What are your resources for building specific workouts? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Yeah I was going to say the complete opposite; I can write my own workouts all day long, but putting those together in a smart, planned manner over the course of a season is what I would look for a coach to do if I ever got one.

Exactly why I need a coach.

And all this talk of cake makes me want cake. Perhaps a nutritionist is in order too

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next