Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
jharris wrote:
I flew from midway to Oklahoma City last week. I made a joke when flying into OKC. Nobody was there. I joked that OKC isn’t bad enough to want to leave, but not good enough to visit. Lol

Midway was totally fine. No issue.

O’hare impresses me with the amount of travelers it sees daily. One of the busiest airports in the world!

Cheaper to fly out of Chicago, so I stopped flying out of Milwaukee years ago. More direct flight options as well.

Kansas City is like that. Mostly empty with security at every 3 gates so really easy to plan your departure from that airport. Pretty far from the city though.

Kansas City has been under construction for about 20 years. Seriously, when the fuck is that going to be finished??? Biggest issue with KC is the fact that the terminals are in 3 separate buildings. Not a problem unless you have a connecting flight in another terminal. The shuttle sucks ass. While stationed at Fort Riley, I flew in and out of KC on a regular basis. This was before all the ridiculous construction. Wasn't bad if you are just flying in or out. However, there isn't a damn thing to do in that airport. Nothing.

Any airport that does not have any wait times I always rank higher than others, but, a few years ago I was flying out of KC and they didn't even have wi-fi. Not free, not even pay for it wi-fi. No food options either, but I typically over eat when I'm in the city so no big deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been to 42 states and probably ~30 airports. No way MCO (Orlando) should be that far down on the list. It’s actually pretty nice. Agree with the other Chicago locals here MDW > ORD

...so, yeah, I don’t agree with this list.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’ve been to 42 states and probably ~30 airports. No way MCO (Orlando) should be that far down on the list. It’s actually pretty nice. Agree with the other Chicago locals here MDW > ORD

Yeah, I have to say that if Miami International isn't on the bad list then I don't understand the criteria for a bad list.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. KC suuuuuuuucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, has anyone been in Newark in the summer when they turn off the A/C???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Yeah, I have to say that if Miami International isn't on the bad list then I don't understand the criteria for a bad list.

I’d almost forgotten about the seventh circle of hell that is MIA. Yeah that list is useless if MIA isn’t one of the worst three.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
I’ve never had a problem with Midway - I prefer it to O’hare. Midway is fixing the issues with security by making the security area larger.

I like some of their criteria - “lounge access” - Midway is mostly Southwest which does not have lounges. Also “clear” data - Midway is not a clear airport... I never understood the point of clear when you can buy pre-check/global entry that is available at every airport. I gonna guess that Clear is an advertiser on the points guys website

Laguardia didn’t make the list - so the list is garbage.

So many people have TSA-pre that those lines can be long these days. CLEAR is a huge efficiency gain. And a pain when it's not available at an airport.

Clear eliminates the fumbling around to remove wallet, remove license/ID, hand ID to person, and put boarding pass on scanner, and then put everything away before going thru security. Awkward to do all that with 1-hand, usually requires 2 hands, and then awkward bag-on-floor-shove-bag-with-foot-move. Have that process repeated by many many people on a line, and things come to a crawl.

With Clear, the only thing I'm holding is my phone for the boarding pass. Pockets are empty as wallet and other items aren't needed so they're already temporarily in laptop bag. With several scanners available, there's zero waiting on any line. Retina or fingerprint scan is way quicker than a person eyeing you over, and you get to go the front of the security line after the scan. If combined with TSA-pre, then you just drop bag on security belt and continue through. (If/when your biometric scan could also automatically verify that you're booked on a flight that day, it would eliminate the need for a separate boarding pass scan)

It's like nailing down a perfect transition - where a sequence of small steps matter.

And at a busy airport like ATL, having Clear + TSA-pre vs. not, is a difference of 40+mins. That's huge.

On the airport choices, I didn't find DTW a bad airport.
And LGA should be on the list b/c of the construction hassles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having recently flown into both Portland and San Diego, I can categorically say that chart is inaccurate beyond belief.

Flew into Chicago last year and I have to say it was a much better experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dread flying through Hartsfield (ATL). Rarely make it through there without an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA! i was thinking of you the other day as i was waiting for the hotel shuttle in STL.
we're standing on the curb outside, there is a 2 lane road for all the hotel shuttles. of course there are people who dont pay attention to signs so cars that are dropping off passengers are coming down the road also. they pull to the end of the lane, realize what they've done, at least most of them do, but still stop in the bus lane and the people get out of their cars to unload.

well this is jacking up the hotel shuttles that are coming through. the first 7-8 cars that did this had Illinois plates. my first thought was, "damn FIB's." i chuckled at where i learned this racist thought and formed this behavior.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your grading of Logan, also my home airport. Getting in and especially out is a major pain in the ass, especially if your going north of Boston. The actual airport is fine security lines move quickly and since they’ve added more restaurants in the terminals it’s much improved since my childhood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Yep. KC suuuuuuuucks.

As a local I disagree. Three terminals with multiple security checkpoints makes getting from your Uber to the gate fast and simple. Same thing with baggage claim coming home.

Is the terminal a vast shopping mall filled with shops and restaurants? Nope. But I don’t care a bit. Layovers there probably suck, but again I don’t really care as I don’t layover at MCI and the current configuration is the damn near the best I’ve experienced for departures and arrivals.

The city is in the middle of a billion dollar boondoggle to replace MCI with a new, single terminal shopping mall/airport, which sucks. We’re not a hub, I don’t see us becoming a hub regardless of airport configuration so I fail to see the point of catering to transient travelers at the expense of the people that use the facility the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason why Illinois sucks. [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At O'Hare having United Priority is a huge advantage even without going through TSA pre check. The Priority line in the United terminal is almost always less than 5 minutes.

I honestly don't have a problem with O'Hare. Coming from international is kind of a pain, but add TSA pre check or United Priority eases this pain greatly. Plus my connecting flights home are almost always in the F gates right next to security.

The list also doesn't make sense to have Detroit on it. Detroit is a nice airport, in bound from International is great, much faster than O'hare, Atlanta or Dallas through customs. If coming from Toronto or Montreal, you have already went through customs in Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah La Guardia is just the worst I have ever been to. Best airports to originate and arrive in as starts and finishes are imho are small ones. Getting to Toronto airport is just a massive PITA almost always involving and extra hour due to heavy traffic. Then they try to rook you on the parking. I have defaulted to starting 150 miles away when I can.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next