Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Air Compressor [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Yeah, that valve will go, but we see 4-6 years of heavy use before failure. For light use they are great.

I’m really surprised I’m still on nine years, are yours porter cable as well?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No,but they are used 8 hours a day, 5 days a week

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the coils on a fridge, a paint brush. One with long bristles. A compressor will work too. They're nice to have around.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
With 150 psi you can fill an automobile tire, in fact all four since the average car tire is about 30 psi. Two bicycle tires, not so much.

That's not quite how it works. PV=nRT.
A 6gal chamber at 150psi should be able to fill many, many bicycle tires to 100psi before the pressure in the tank drops in pressure to the point where the delta P is too low to transfer.

That's not exactly how to figure that either. That's assuming you fill the reserviour to 150psi then turn off the compressor.

This unit is 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi (and more SCFM at lower pressure, but I'm not looking harder).

A HVLP gun requires about 4.5 SCFM @ 30 psi
A 3/8" impact requires 4.0 SCFM @ 90 psi
An air ratchet requires 1.9 SCFM @ 90 psi
A cut off tool needs 4.3 SCFM @ 90 psi
A brad nailer needs 0.9 SCFM @ 90 psi

So you could nail brads for days, but you'd struggle to cut a 1/4"ø steel rod
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same compressor. I use it to fill tires, run a brad gun, and blow out my 6 zone sprinkler system every fall. It would probably do many more things, I just don't have a need.

Get a good quality 50 ft rubber air hose and a standard air compressor tools kit and you are good to go, with some assembly required.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I have the same compressor. I use it to fill tires, run a brad gun, and blow out my 6 zone sprinkler system every fall. It would probably do many more things, I just don't have a need.

Get a good quality 50 ft rubber air hose and a standard air compressor tools kit and you are good to go, with some assembly required.

The 6 gallon one?

How do you blow out the sprinkler system? Where do you connect it?
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can fill small tires (I don't think it would have the capacity for car tires... it has the psi yes but it's very small volume and not a lot of HP.

I have one. No problem for car tires. Guffaw illustrated this perfectly.

They need to be drained of condensate after each use. I didn't to this regularly and the drain valve has rusted out in mine making unit useless.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
With 150 psi you can fill an automobile tire, in fact all four since the average car tire is about 30 psi. Two bicycle tires, not so much.

A 6gal chamber at 150psi should be able to fill many, many bicycle tires to 100psi before the pressure in the tank drops in pressure to the point where the delta P is too low to transfer.

That's not exactly how to figure that either. That's assuming you fill the reserviour to 150psi then turn off the compressor.

This unit is 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi (and more SCFM at lower pressure, but I'm not looking harder).

So you disagree with Guffaw regarding the unit's effectiveness for bicycle tires?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

The 6 gallon one?

All sprinkler systems have a blow out port between the zone valves the backflow preventer valve. Mine is just a T-Pipe connector next to my front door step. It is a 1/2' npt with a nylon plug in it during the summer. In the fall I have a male air adapter that has a reducer on it to go from 3/8" to 1/2" that goes in that T-Connector. I bought all that at the depot for about $10.

All I do is shut the isolation valve (in the crawl space so a big pain in the ass to get to) and then cycle one zone to release the water pressure in the system. Then I take out the plug and put in the adapter, set the pressure regulator on my compressor to 30 psi, and plug in the compressor hose to the blow out port. That pressurizes the system. Then I just cycle each zone 1 at a time until I blow water mist out of all of that zone's heads, then I go to the next zone. The compressor runs off and on but works fine. I disconnect the air hose before I shut the last zone off so the pressure bleeds off.

Make sure you set the compressor's regulator to something less than your city water pressure BEFORE you pressurize the system. I don't know what the sprinkler system is rated to in pressure, but I'm sure it wouldn't take the 125 psi that the compressor is set for, at least not for very long.

Takes all of 30 minutes and most of that is standing in the yard watching the system blow out.

Then I put the nylon plug back in and I'm ready for spring

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

The 6 gallon one?

First you need the female generic quick connect on your compressor, then just go to Lowe’s/HD etc and ask for the thread male hose connector. 5$ or so.

Basically you just turn off your controller, hook up the lines one by one and get your wife to turn on the compressor while you watch the heads. First try it’s water and air by the third it’s just air pushing out.

Like BC tri said with a system that has super long or uphill runs it might not work. With short runs it works fine but you might need three cycles.

While compressor is re-charging make yourself useful and rake leaves etc.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

The question of filling up bike tires is dependent only on the volumetric capacity at 100psi (assuming that's what you ride at). You are referring to the flow rate, which is primarily dictated by the compressor power (and possibly restricted by fittings and nozzles).

The 2.6 scfm @ 90psi generally means you can operate at a volumetric flow rate of 2.6 cu.ft./min @ 90psi continuously and the compressor will be able to keep up with charging the tank so it can keep delivering 90psi.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Air Compressor [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And with bike tires at about 350 cubic inches, you'd have to have a great number of them and be very, very quick before that compressor's flow capacity would be exceeded.

And with regard to car tires, having average capacity around 2.5 gallons and pressure, P1V1 = P2V2 tells me that if you filled the tank to 150 psi, you could disconnect the power (turn off compressor), carry the unit somewhere, fill nearly 10 empty car tires to 30 PSI. Of course it would be a little slow at the end.

Of course, a little 12V compressor that plugs into car cigarette lighter and doesn't take much space in the trunk will also serve you in emergencies.

________
Quote Reply

Prev Next