Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

US Civil War History--as requested
Quote | Reply
Some on Union generals:

Confederate Generals:

Gettysburg readings (and some Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg):

Readings on naval history of US Civil War:

There's several more shelves (western theater, subject studies like cavalry use during the war; artillery use, etc.) but that's about it

"Battle and Leaders" is a very interesting compendium of primary sources. After the war Century Magazine published many first person accounts by participants. You gotta take what you read with a 'grain of salt' since old generals and colonels are hashing things out in a rolling dialogue of articles. But it's first person source material by guys who saw the elephant.

*trying a new image hosting source so not even sure this will work. hope so.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: US Civil War History--as requested [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice.

I've read a grand total of 1 of those (Battle Cry of Freedom) but not as interested in the civil war there as some other topics. I like that you go into so much depth, I tend to do a lot of general reading but would like to focus on a few events (World War 2 is a favourite) or the rise of current day terrorism.

I've enjoyed history since I left school (it's the worst taught subject in school) and now there are so many topics of interest I have a hard time focussing on events. I would imagine that reading a history of the civil war alone could take a lifetime.
Quote Reply
Re: US Civil War History--as requested [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a section of readings on contemporaneous war (SWA) Counter Insurgency stuff from the Fr in Indo China/Algeria up to our current struggles. It's odd reading about things you were personally involved in. I'm reading Naylor's "Relentless Strike" and I'm thinking "how did he get access to this info--this is all classified and I'd be going to jail if i talked of it in public?"

Here's the COIN stuff (mostly)

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid. I've spent my fair share of time walking and studying the battlefields of PA, MD, and VA and read many of those in your collection- save most of selections on Confederate Generals. My reading background is a little light on Confederate Generals.

The pair the caught my eye were The Secret Service of the Confederate States in Europe. I don't recall reading anything on that subject.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: US Civil War History--as requested [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a history (and pretty dry stuff too) about the CSA effort to buy arms, and armed ships, over in Europe--and the Union effort to thwart the CSA attempts.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Shelby Foote?

My dad would have been jealous. But he did have the original Random House (pre 86 hardcover) Civil War: A Narrative ;)
Quote Reply
Re: US Civil War History--as requested [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've all three volumes of Foote's Civil War history. It's on a shelf of compendiums I didn't show. Listen to him on the Ken Burns series. He's a wonderful story teller. His history is biased towards the South but is still a damn good read because he writes as well as he talks.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you read Andersonville?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to him on the Ken Burns series.

I was going to ask if you've seen the Ken Burns series on the Civil War. I enjoyed his series on Vietnam and have the Civil War lined up. Work is really interfering with things I am interested in...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got anything in your library other than military/war books? Still, I'd find the naval history particularly interesting since there was no air force back then. :-) Had I chose a military career it could only have been navy for me, despite being an air force brat. My knowledge of the US Civil War is mostly limited to the Ken Burns series which I've watched in full a couple of times.
Quote Reply
Re: US Civil War History--as requested [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a section of biographies (G. Washington; Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, T Roosevelt, George Marshall.....) but really no. This is my personal library of books I want to keep to have access to hard copy. It's the history of my profession as well. I hold an ASI (formal special skill identify) within the Army of "5X" which means i am an official US Army Historian. Big whooopie i know. Of course I also hold an ASI of 5S which IDs me as a Airborne/Ranger officer.

Books i want to read but am not interested in physically owning I just get em at the library or buy them for my Kindle/iPad reader. So there I've got for example: All the Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers ('that fucking Flowers') novels; Just acquired and finished reading all "The Expanse" SciFi novel series, etc etc.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply