Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turning Swim Set into Pull Set?
Quote | Reply
Was supposed to run & swim yesterday, but was so tired after a long run in the heat that I bagged the swim.

Legs still very tired today. Can I just do my entire 3000 yard swim workout with a pull buoy? Will this create any problems I'm not expecting?
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [scottmccue12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would warm up with 300 swim and then do the pull sets after your shoulders loosen up.

Otherwise you are fine to alter the workout. Way better than skipping it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been there many times. What I do is at least the warmup as suggested (300-400 yards), then do a bunch of 100's but alternating with and without pull buoy. Or go 50 w/o buoy, 100-150 with etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
I've been there many times. What I do is at least the warmup as suggested (300-400 yards), then do a bunch of 100's but alternating with and without pull buoy. Or go 50 w/o buoy, 100-150 with etc.

+1. I usually do most of my sets (10 x 200's) with a buoy after w/u and some scattered drills

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you never done a big set of pull before? Of course you can pull, especially if you are not using paddles. Not much different from swimming at all, unless you are also using a band around the ankles..When I pull with just buoy, it is actually easier on my shoulders, and I take one less stroke per 25 because of the better body position..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming to triathlon via Masters Swimming, I use to poo-poo the idea of doing more than 10-15% of any given workout with a pull buoy. As my triathlon training intensified and I started finding myself with "dead legs" in a swim workout on occasion, my tune changed. If the situation calls for it, I'll do a whole workout with a pull buoy. The only thing I'd caution against is letting the pull buoy become a crutch that cover's poor form; specifically sinking or scissoring legs. I'm pretty confident in my form, so that's not a concern for me.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, folks. Feeling less of a loser. Pull it is!
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why I alternate. The buoy acts as a "reminder" to what my body position SHOULD be. Then on the swim following the one with the buoy, I focus on the position I just had with the buoy. If I do a set of 16 or 200 100's like this, I notice my times just after the buoy swim are quite good compared to my times after 2 or 3 100's without one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past when I've done a primarily pull set, my ITB and/or inner thighs could tighten up. I'd go back and forth with and without buoy.

Another option is shorter distances 25, 50, 100 without buoy. I'm just as psyched to do those, if they feel great, than go longer with a buoy.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a downside to using the band with the buoy? Always wondered if it made the pull set even easier because you didn't have to focus as much on holding your feet and the buoy in place.

What about doubling up and using two buoys? Had a coach that recommended this for "bigger" athletes but I'm only 180 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [trimags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimags wrote:
Is there a downside to using the band with the buoy? Always wondered if it made the pull set even easier because you didn't have to focus as much on holding your feet and the buoy in place.

What about doubling up and using two buoys? Had a coach that recommended this for "bigger" athletes but I'm only 180 lbs.

Slowman suggests a pull set with the buoy at your ankles with the band. It worked wonders for me as I was really fishtailing while breathing to the right. Great drill/workout for taller thinner swimmers.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Turning Swim Set into Pull Set? [trimags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you have never used a band, yes they are harder, waaaay harder.. I suppose if you buoyed all down your legs with it though, it would get easier, but what would be the point? Band swimming has its purpose, but it is not for 3k main sets..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will sometimes pull for 50% off my 3K+ swims if the legs are shelled. My preferred method is to use some short fins that float, with my body taut and ankles together/toes pointed... I can still have decent body position but not have to kick much. I do kick off the wall a time or two, otherwise the floating fins work for me similar to using bands with a pull buoy lower on the legs.

Here's a 3200 go to for me with 50% of it pulling... I don't use paddles.

4x 200 pull
8x 100 @ :10
2x 400 pull
8x 100 @ :20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scottmccue12 wrote:
Was supposed to run & swim yesterday, but was so tired after a long run in the heat that I bagged the swim.

Legs still very tired today. Can I just do my entire 3000 yard swim workout with a pull buoy? Will this create any problems I'm not expecting?

I'm a late AOS.

I swim 90%+ of all my swimming with a PB.
My slowest swim in my last 4 IM's has been 61mins.

Make of that what you will. N=1 of course.
Quote Reply