Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020
Quote | Reply
I have a place at Oceanside next year, my first race in the US, combining with a family holiday in San Diego and surrounding area.
I’ve searched this forum and a few others for some info and what I’ve found has been helpful so far, I’ve a few outstanding questions I’m hoping people can help me out with.

Ocean swim, I understand this can get changed/cancelled due to swell/surf, what’s the upper limit before a no go decision is made? Is the swim just cancelled or is there sheltered water nearby that can be used? Any history of cancellations/moves?

Average water temp is around 16c I’ve read, I guess Southern Californians think that’s cold, I’m thinking a neoprene hood might be in order but I’m from England so that’s positively tropical although worth some acclimatisation swims in the 2 weeks before when we are down in Mission Beach area. Do OW swimmers in US typically swim with a pull along buoy?

Bike course, I won’t be able to access Pendleton before the race as I am not a US citizen and I’m not even sure USMC allow access any more anyhow, any good routes nearby I should check out? What’s the tarmac like on the course? Maybe a daft one but I’m assuming a TT bike with a rear disc would be the weapon of choice?

And lastly the run, in the pictures I’ve seen, the course looks very narrow and crowded in places especially waterfront, is it congested or is there enough space to make good progress? Pointy end of M50-54 AG, c1:30 half.

Thanks all, look forward to your insights and experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020 [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:

Ocean swim, I understand this can get changed/cancelled due to swell/surf, what’s the upper limit before a no go decision is made? Is the swim just cancelled or is there sheltered water nearby that can be used? Any history of cancellations/moves?

It's only been "in the ocean" i.e. a surf entry course for two years. 2018 it was moved to the traditional course in the harbor (this is the only history of a change). 2019 was surf entry. No idea what the cutoff is, whatever the lifeguards say. Swim will go in any event (I assume)

Quote:
Average water temp is around 16c I’ve read, I guess Southern Californians think that’s cold, I’m thinking a neoprene hood might be in order but I’m from England so that’s positively tropical although worth some acclimatisation swims in the 2 weeks before when we are down in Mission Beach area. Do OW swimmers in US typically swim with a pull along buoy?

Average temps rarely at 60 F. Some use a buoy, most don't. Talk to a local to suss out the best / safest places to swim, there's plenty

Quote:

Bike course, I won’t be able to access Pendleton before the race as I am not a US citizen and I’m not even sure USMC allow access any more anyhow, any good routes nearby I should check out? What’s the tarmac like on the course? Maybe a daft one but I’m assuming a TT bike with a rear disc would be the weapon of choice?

No one but marine personnel will be able to access the part of the Pendleton course that matters (i.e. front side is mostly rollers nothing of note, although you can ruin your race by going too hard on the front). TT plus disc. Road conditions change year to year depending on construction for the most part good to very good but they roll tanks over these roads so you never know. Locals will chime in with decent routes, i'm a bit north

Quote:
And lastly the run, in the pictures I’ve seen, the course looks very narrow and crowded in places especially waterfront, is it congested or is there enough space to make good progress? Pointy end of M50-54 AG, c1:30 half.

There are a couple narrow stretches, mainly in the section between the pier and the north turnaround. Most of it is a wide bike path or closed two lane street. Plenty of room for the most part.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 5, 19 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a great race! Have done it 4 times. The ocean start is pretty new. I think they have a cut off of 4 foot waves to move the swim to the harbor, but really, it’s the lifeguards who make the call. Water is usually 58-61 degrees. The roads are generally pretty good. Behind the commissary is always bumpy and rough-lots of ejected bottles and hydration systems everywhere. Two major, steep, but short climbs that will make you swear a little. Riding here is getting more dangerous, especially along the coast. There is a loop you can do that parallels the base with minimal traffic. Starts as Las Pulgas off I-5 and heads north. It is a bit of a drive, but again, it’s safe. Run is beautiful along the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020 [Jhamlet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I did the 140.6 both back in 2000 & 01, and several 70.3 versions there...swims were held in the harbor and/or jetty. I wonder how the currents in open water and risk of actual shark numbers increase being held outside either of those swim locations... it's the ocean right? (ya--) but any actual studies or experiences to point to on those factors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my 6th year in a row doing O'side. Everything Chris said is pretty accurate.

Count on the Ocean swim, it will be cold, but not bad. Neoprene cap, boots, etc is overkill. You'll be fine within a minute of being in the water. This past year didn't have "big waves" but it was a strong rip and was challenging getting out past the break, once you pass the break it's pretty calm and easy heading back into the harbor.

The bike is relatively challenging. Pretty flat, aside from a few rollers for the first 26ish miles. At around mile 27 there is a pretty steep, yet short climb. followed by more rollers, and two additional slightly longer, yet smaller incline climbs. The last 10-15mi in my opinion are the hardest of the bike since you pretty much are always heading straight into a headwind, though it is flat.

The run is great, with awesome support along the entire route. Aside from running up the pier and going from the beach boardwalk to one block up off the beach, there is no "climbing" just some roll-y streets.

The energy at the race is really second to none, you'll love it!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to chime in to add that you should wear tinted goggles, because the sun is smack in your face on the return half of the swim, and it's easy to go off course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020 [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the insights, looking forward to the race already, just the small matter of Zell and Cascais this season now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Oceanside 2020 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
While I did the 140.6 both back in 2000 & 01, and several 70.3 versions there...swims were held in the harbor and/or jetty. I wonder how the currents in open water and risk of actual shark numbers increase being held outside either of those swim locations... it's the ocean right? (ya--) but any actual studies or experiences to point to on those factors?

Risk of current - higher with surf entry but in general really more of a tidal thing. If tide is rising it will generally help push you into the harbor

Risk of shark attack - slightly higher than winning the lottery. Much more dangerous statistically driving to the race than swimming in the ocean.
Quote Reply