Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shopping for Extensions
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for new extensions for my 2013 P5. It currently has the stock 3T setup. I want to keep the base bar but get a new set of extensions that have a little more length and height, especially since this bar doesn't have the ability to tilt. I've come across Profile Design, 3T, Drag 2 Zero and 51 Speedshop. I'm inclined towards the 51 speed shop extensions. Drag 2 zero looks the business and I have no doubt it performs amazing. Just not sure I want to spend that kind of cash on extensions. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
I'm looking for new extensions for my 2013 P5. It currently has the stock 3T setup. I want to keep the base bar but get a new set of extensions that have a little more length and height, especially since this bar doesn't have the ability to tilt. I've come across Profile Design, 3T, Drag 2 Zero and 51 Speedshop. I'm inclined towards the 51 speed shop extensions. Drag 2 zero looks the business and I have no doubt it performs amazing. Just not sure I want to spend that kind of cash on extensions. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you. P5 base bar, but unsure what to do about extensions. I like the PD T4+ that came stock, but I think that's just because I'm used to them. I like the evne extensions that come standard on PX bikes, but I need to see if enve can send me just the extensions.

Would love to see what other people are doing

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a list of extension options, where possible I've normalised the rise values so they can be compared.
have a think about how much higher you want your hands to be then pick an extension that gets you there.
I'd note that for models that have both ally and carbon versions there is usually no meaningful weight difference - so there is no disadvantage in getting the ally versions to try out different shapes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my preferred hand position I'd be looking at 51 Speedshop (carbon, expensive) or Zipp Alumina Evo (aluminum, affordable). Zipp Vuka Alumina Evo 110

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is a lot of data. Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet. Great advice as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An extension that ā€œperforms amazingā€. What am I missing?? What do they do that others donā€™t?

My feedback is that Iā€™ve found it incredible that 51 speedshop (impressive really) has managed to gain such a presence and charge people $180 for extensions and have everyone clamoring for them. I mean, the differences between all of these extensions is so small and they are many other much cheaper options that work perfectly well with very similar angles, lengths etc. But, if you have the budget, there are nice, I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P5 can most definitely tilt. Aero coach dot uk angled wedges or just plain old washers under your pad holders.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you gotten a chance to play or see the WattShop mass produced extensions yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Iā€™m not a fancy extension guy... I just use straight up ski bends. USE Tula Alloy.

Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Have you gotten a chance to play or see the WattShop mass produced extensions yet?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridesync, high and long

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve got the Zipp Evo 70 aluminum extensions currently and I like them. Having said that Iā€™m about to install my 51 speedshop bar this week and I got their ultimate extensions. I normally donā€™t buy carbon extensions due to cost but...matching is important šŸ˜†
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the extension spreadsheet! Itā€™s been great while I try to find the best one for my bike.
Question on the PD T5: your spreadsheet states they are 398mm long, but some stock photos online are stating 348. Are these extensions sold in short and long options, like the newer shapes PD has put out? I like the rise of the T5 but really need them to be the long option.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spreadsheet lists the lengths of the most recent production for PD extensions. All the old generation extensions got longer when electronic shifting became more common (particularly eTap).
So if it's old stock it's likely short. Worth checking before you buy anything.
I think you can order straight from PD USA https://profile-design.com/...luminum-extensions-1 - they should have the longer option.
All the new extensions are 400mm or 340mm because I like round numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Sounds great to me.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we are just throwing darts in the dark here, I have had the most success with Zipp Evo 70s, statistically speaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well those crazy UK time trialists always have the fast stuff. AeroCoach stuff is pretty cool and they have a variety of rise options. The new semi-custom WattShop extensions are really cool and I bet they do some sort of adapter for the P5. A friend has them on his T4 and they are fast and comfortable. If all else fails, they will make you a custom set. Just make sure you really have your position dialed beforehand because they don't look to have much in the way of adjustment options.
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for Extensions [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. P5 base bar, but unsure what to do about extensions. I like the PD T4+ that came stock, but I think that's just because I'm used to them. I like the evne extensions that come standard on PX bikes, but I need to see if enve can send me just the extensions.

Would love to see what other people are doing

Enve won't send me just the extensions, so it looks like the PD 4525 is the next best option. I like that high hand position of that bar

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply