Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe just fishing to get the military to sponsor events?

milesthedog wrote:
A friend is a vet and former pro athlete was surprised that IM asked him when registering if he is a US military veteran but then didn't offer a veteran discount. He felt IM was using his vet status in an exploitative manner. He wrote them and they confirmed that they do not offer veteran discounts.

Anyone else experience this? Any opinions?

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”-

EDIT to paste a later comment I made up front:

we as a society largely give vets discounts because, Iā€™ll argue, we (we used as a social construct) implicitly recognize that our foreign policy has always stood to conserve and obtain resources that better our national economy on the backs and sometimes the lives of military vets. [even vets who do not partake in heroics contribute to our economy in this way, and our economy benefits for years after they exit the military]. ...

IM exploits the social contract I just explained with reference to military vets by announcing the vet at incredible volume at the finish line and in marketing material - simple appreciation would be a handshake and face to face words spoken. The emotion we feel with regard to that social contract is monetizeable, and itā€™s one thing for that sort of manipulation to take place in an advertisement with actors, itā€™s another to use real people during that exploitive manipulation, people who simply checked a box saying, ā€˜yes, I am a military veteranā€™ as innocently as checking their t-shirt size.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP's question is a good one. I think that is the current "lets be patriotic" train that a lot of companies are getting on - recognize veterans every chance you get because it is good PR

ā€”ā€”

But is it working from a biz prospective? I would guess based on comments in this thread the move has now amounted to fake news; that its more done just because without some deep value from it.

That is to say itā€™s not not exploitation or that it doesnā€™t get a ā€œgood feelingā€ with the crowd when the vets are recognized; but that that good feeling goes immediately away for everyone around.

But again Iā€™m not a vet so I donā€™t know how that feels; I just think strobro pegged it; itā€™s sorta become this meaningless thing that everyone does to feel good about it but that it doesnā€™t really mean jack shit and the vets know it. So yeah I can see why the OPā€™s friend is bringing it up; I also donā€™t think it really moves the needle for an for profit company though.

So itā€™s why I asked if they give the discounts is the ā€œexploitationā€ forgiven??

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 5, 19 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
and in fairness as much as Slowman wants this to be an international triathlon forum with a variety of perspectives, in reality it is a US forum with some international flavour.

to be clear, i don't "want" this to be anything other than what it organically is and naturally becomes. whoever is here is welcome. if that's 80 percent american or 80 percent non-american, either way's okay by me.

OK, fair enough we have a triathlon forum frequented by people who can write in English from all over the world, with a majority likely from the US, talking about a Chinese corporation not giving discounts to military veterans. The events that the Chinese corporation runs are in something like 50 countries and the military veterans may be racing in their home country or another country. So what should the corporation do?

Once we take the framework of the discussion outside of a US only setting it gets more complicated (both when running an international corp and on a forum where there are people from around the world). I would be quite happy to give up a Cdn military vet discount at IM Tremblant so that Dominique Piche does not have to give out the discount to the vet from the People's Republic.

Or you give home country vets discounts at home country races, but then what about fire fighters, policemen, politicians, teachers, social workers etc who also serve society in a substantial way without whose service societies fall apart. I don't really see why military service is more special than all these other honourable professions.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the event is military-focused that's one thing (SuperFrog comes to mind), but otherwise I pretty much agree with you dev.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the OP, I think IRONMAN is certainly making the announcement because they think it's good for their corporation (i.e. improves their brand image, improves the IM experience, etc...), we can speculate on whatever their reasoning is.

Does IM give discounts to anyone? I'm not aware of any discounts that they offer.

Implicit in your OP is your expectation (or your friend's expectation) that when someone asks you if you are Military, there is some discount available to Military participants. That's fair.

The reality is that the corporation is gathering this information in order to benefit the corporation. A corporation's goal is to make profits. Shouldn't be too surprising.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to suggest that everyone could get on board with a military discount. I mean discount codes for products and services are given out over the internet like candy. I should have know better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, fair enough we have a triathlon forum frequented by people who can write in English from all over the world, with a majority likely from the US, talking about a Chinese corporation not giving discounts to military veterans. The events that the Chinese corporation runs are in something like 50 countries and the military veterans may be racing in their home country or another country. So what should the corporation do?

Once we take the framework of the discussion outside of a US only setting it gets more complicated (both when running an international corp and on a forum where there are people from around the world). I would be quite happy to give up a Cdn military vet discount at IM Tremblant so that Dominique Piche does not have to give out the discount to the vet from the People's Republic.

Or you give home country vets discounts at home country races, but then what about fire fighters, policemen, politicians, teachers, social workers etc who also serve society in a substantial way without whose service societies fall apart. I don't really see why military service is more special than all these other honourable professions.

World Triathlon Corporation is a unit within Wanda Sports Group. But the company is still run out of Florida. So it's a US Company that is owned by a Chinese Conglomerate. There is a bit of a difference to say it's a Chinese Company. Last I checked Andrew Messick is still the CEO and WTC didn't pack up overnight and ship the containers to Beijing.

For the most part in Triathlon, I can't go anywhere and throw a rock without hitting veterans. It's interesting, USAT puts out data on mean income of Triathletes, but I wouldn't mind looking deeper into the demographics.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s a simple concept (and Iā€™m not suggesting this is what they are doing as I really donā€™t know but)... Americans generally like patriotism. If you align yourself with it, it stands to help your business.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I get that and all, but I canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen them going over the top with patriotism towards athletes in the past. Iā€™ve also never been asked if I was a vet when registering. This just seems like a backhanded way at saying vets deserve a discount from IM disguised by saying IM is profiting off others service.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by john d [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [john d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would hope so. But, Iā€™m guessing you have zero personal knowledge about their motivation here nor do I. I certainly hope itā€™s as altruistic as you are guessing it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a bit of a difference to say it's a Chinese Company. //

Here is my question about all of this discussion, has anything changed from when it was owned by all the other owners? Is there some "new" program in place, or one that was eliminated?

I recall that there is a military division at Kona, that has been going on since the early days, although it has morphed no doubt. Are there military divisions at any other races??
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not offering military discounts? opinion? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
There is a bit of a difference to say it's a Chinese Company. //

Here is my question about all of this discussion, has anything changed from when it was owned by all the other owners? Is there some "new" program in place, or one that was eliminated?

I recall that there is a military division at Kona, that has been going on since the early days, although it has morphed no doubt. Are there military divisions at any other races??

Based on the the Ironman website there are only two qualifiers for the military division. SuperFrog (guessing that gets you to 70.3 WC) and Ironman UK. Both races have 10 slots for the Military Division.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, so no personal knowledge whatsoever. Just your own personal experience. Got it. Same with me. We can all speculate as to their motivation but letā€™s at least be honest about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have no idea about my experience. And, the more you write the more you underscore that you have no ability to talk substance for a company for which you do not work. You are guessing. Just stop. If you read above, that was my one and only point. We hope they are altruistically motivated. But again, neither you nor I have any personal knowledge about their motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Im also ex RCAF. Apple was pleased to offer me a $11 discount in my $700 Ipad. Better than nothing I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, Iā€™m good. No need to justify myself to a internet troll. Iā€™m done with you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next