Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Bike Fit Critique
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
First-time poster, longtime lurker.

This is my first tri bike, so I've been tweaking more or less everything over the last few weeks since I wasn't too sure where to start. The one thing I've always been concerned with is the saddle height/leg angle. Never had a bike fit, and have been given conflicting opinions at bike shops, so I've tended to just "wing it".

Any thoughts about the setup would awesome.

Some details. The saddle (ISM PM1.1) is all the way back, the stem has 1 spacer, and the bars/pads can still be moved forward by a good amount.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [mfmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfmartin wrote:
The saddle (ISM PM1.1) is all the way back, the stem has 1 spacer, and the bars/pads can still be moved forward by a good amount.
Try with the saddle all the way forward, and the cockpit forward an equal amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What MattyK said... you’re a little “slack”

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Move it all forward in incremental steps and make sure you get out on the road with it between adjustments. The bike handling can feel a bit squirrelly at first but you'll learn to keep it between the ditches.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with much that has been said. I would bring everything forward 3cm and take the slight reduction in saddle height that comes with it. I would also reduce your crank length by 1cm. And I would do it all at once. Forget the increments. Tear the band aid off and ride the bike properly, now.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I told you that you could have a pro level fit, today, without extra training, flexibility, or being a pro?

FindinFreestyle wrote:
I agree with much that has been said. I would bring everything forward 3cm and take the slight reduction in saddle height that comes with it. I would also reduce your crank length by 1cm. And I would do it all at once. Forget the increments. Tear the band aid off and ride the bike properly, now.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Patience, Grasshopper...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Patience, Grasshopper...

A wise man once said "You're not gradually adapting. You're choosing to ride a shitty position until you choose to ride a good one. " - I think it was Rappstar and those are words to live by.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Critique [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses.

I took MattyK's advice and moved up the seat and cockpit up ~2in. It certainly feels more powerful, and the only slight discomfort is in the shoulders, but it faded after 15min. Hopefully I'll be able to get outside for a ride this week.

Is there a rule of thumb for how to adjust saddle height to compensate for/aft movement?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks much better to me.

I'm not sure whether to add "raise your saddle" or "don't dip your toes so much", but you look like your knees could open up a little more at the bottom of the stroke.

As for the shoulders, let your body adapt over a few shorter rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d come forward another inch for saddle and cockpit. I wouldn’t raise your saddle just yet until we figure out your toes down situation.

Now that you’re getting into the proper TT fit box, it’s becoming apparent that your bike is one or two sizes too small. Keep this in mind someday when you get the budget for a new bike.

Eric

mfmartin wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

I took MattyK's advice and moved up the seat and cockpit up ~2in. It certainly feels more powerful, and the only slight discomfort is in the shoulders, but it faded after 15min. Hopefully I'll be able to get outside for a ride this week.

Is there a rule of thumb for how to adjust saddle height to compensate for/aft movement?

Quote Reply