Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at upgrading to a late model wheelset (currently riding older Reynolds aero). I believe I have decided on HED clincher style with rim brake but don't know what combo to go with. This will be for Triathlon races and general rides, however, I do have another road bike that I can use if it is windy. Set up will be on a Shiv. So what does everyone think? 6/9, 9/9, 6/disc, 9/disc?? Also, I've been trying to research which tire/tube combo to go with for these but the options seem overwhelming. Lastly, have you all found a good place to buy from with good prices or maybe any upcoming sales someone knows about. :) Thanks in advance for helping a novice out.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a pair of Jet Plus 6 wheels and a rear disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Streetsnake wrote:
I'm looking at upgrading to a late model wheelset (currently riding older Reynolds aero). I believe I have decided on HED clincher style with rim brake but don't know what combo to go with. This will be for Triathlon races and general rides, however, I do have another road bike that I can use if it is windy. Set up will be on a Shiv. So what does everyone think? 6/9, 9/9, 6/disc, 9/disc?? Also, I've been trying to research which tire/tube combo to go with for these but the options seem overwhelming. Lastly, have you all found a good place to buy from with good prices or maybe any upcoming sales someone knows about. :) Thanks in advance for helping a novice out.

Look right here in the ST Classifieds as ST site owner Slowman is offering some HED wheels at unbelievable prices. Most are now gone, but you can still get a set of HED Jet 6+ Black at $450:each plus shipping. This is around half of retail.

ETA actual link: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ther_stuff_P6976237/
Last edited by: SummitAK: Aug 3, 19 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Streetsnake wrote:

Look right here in the ST Classifieds as ST site owner Slowman is offering some HED wheels at unbelievable prices. Most are now gone, but you can still get a set of HED Jet 6+ Black at $450:each plus shipping. This is around half of retail.

ETA actual link: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ther_stuff_P6976237/

Yeah I had reached out to him when he first put it up. Awesome prices. I figured they were all gone and I didn't know which combination to go with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the 9/disc combo. I started with a 60/90 set and always wished I got a 90 front. So, when I upgraded to disc, I also upgraded to a deep front. I love it. My Bike Shop is the place to buy— consistently the best prices. The Jet Black 9/Disc are my everyday wheels. Wind is a non-issue for me.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Get the 9/disc combo. I started with a 60/90 set and always wished I got a 90 front. So, when I upgraded to disc, I also upgraded to a deep front. I love it. My Bike Shop is the place to buy— consistently the best prices. The Jet Black 9/Disc are my everyday wheels. Wind is a non-issue for me.

i would agree with you, if i was you. but, me being me, i've found plenty of times that a 90mm wheel on the front is a pants pooper. mostly on 45+ mph descents when there's any kind of wind. so, if i had just 1 set of wheels, i would be disc rear + 60mm front. and then i'd get a 90mm front for the races where i know i can ride it. i'd ride the 90mm most of the time in training, so i know when i can handle it and when i can't.

i rode a bontrager aeolus 9.0 on some flat rides, and found that to be a very fast wheel, but i even had trouble on 2-lane roads, on dead flats, when a truck passed me going the opposite way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've found plenty of times that a 90mm wheel on the front is a pants pooper. mostly on 45+ mph descents when there's any kind of wind.
Very good point. I do not think I have ever gone 45 MPH on my TT bike. 40.5 may be my max TT speed that I hit during a 10K, -6% practice descent I did a few weeks ago. In my old age, I am finding that speed terrifies me.

And I agree, if I knew I would be in a situation with wind when I was going really fast, I am not sure that I would want a 90 up front. I sure hope that the wind is idle in Nice... If not, then I will be doing that descent like a toddler on a tricycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9/disc

Silca latex tubes and conti gp 4K or 5k. 23 or 25 mm, largest that will fit on your bike.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 60/disc.

Remember, Cam Wurf grabbed the Kona bike course record on a 40mm front in 2017.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic, but still on HED wheels. My setup is a Jet 9 front - around 9 years old - and a Jet+ disc. I qualified for Kona and now need a rear wheel. I see that My Bike Shop has a pretty good deal on the 6/9 Jet plus combo. Anyone know if the the current Jet 6 plus be faster than my older 9 front?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I run a 60/disc.

Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have been faster on a 60 or 90.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on 6/disc....or 6/6/disc....winds in Texas are strong and even though I’m heavier I never liked the 90 up front. I don’t think the risk of the 9 outweighs the reward.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 4, 19 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other question that is extremely important. Does the HED disk SOUND FAST? Love that sound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you will have to settle for looking and being fast
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Timtek wrote:
I run a 60/disc.

Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have been faster on a 60 or 90.

Or he may have gotten blown off the road. I can only imagine that his coach Tim Kerrison (Team Ineos) took a clinical approach to choosing the best equipment for the day. He is known for the marginal gains approach.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheel Setup & Where to Buy [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
No, you will have to settle for looking and being fast

You gotta be kidding. If I spend that much money, I at least want the “swoosh”.

Pulled the trigger on MBSs deal on 5/5/9 combo. Upgraded the hubs as well. Can’t wait to try them out.
Quote Reply