Prev Next
Re: Age and max recorded HR [eki1080] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eki1080 wrote:
I have been worried about this all my life.

When running in my early 20s I would hold +200bpm average on every single plus 5K race. Now I am 37yo and still can hit +190 +200 when sprinting or making a 20min FTP test.

I get an echo stress test every 6 months reviewed by a Sport´s Cardiologist that is also a triathlete and he keeps telling me I should worry about it.

Hope he is right and I don´t "go" chasing a strava segment!
Any advice?

He says you should or shouldn't worry about it?

I've had some anomalous recordings occasionally also. I thought it was just my HR monitor acting weird, but I confirmed it on the palm-activated treadmill monitor. I talked to my doctor, who I wanted to send me to a cardiologist, but he wasn't concerned enough to do so. And I haven't died yet, so maybe he does know what he's talking about. For reference, this was a brief warmup which should have elicited a HR of under 160. My maximum effort run HR is 187.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Aug 20, 19 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any advice? //

About what exactly? Nothing you described is out of the ordinary, and quite normal..And a stress echo every 6 months, what's the purpose of that?? I mean, I get one every year, but I got a pacemaker a long time ago, and it is part of my management. What are you looking for exactly? I know some here do them pretty often, but they are heart docs that work right next to the machine, and are trying to break my AG records...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Age and max recorded HR [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
64 years old, resting HR 43, max 185. Used to max at 210 in my 40’s and at 45 during a sprint on a club ride I felt an elephant sitting on my chest. As a physician, thought I was having the big one but the sensation passed after about 5 minutes of rest. Nonetheless, had my cardiology buddy put me through a stress echo. He laughed because it took forever to get my HR up and the echo was completely normal. 10 years later, had a similar pain again at max effort on a road sprint. This time I had a cardiolyte stress test, again completely normal and again took some doing to get the HR up. No evidence of reversible ischemia on the NM scan.
Bottom line, I don’t worry about it anymore and with normal weight, BP and labs, probably won’t get any further CV work up unless something changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
56 yrs old, 175 bpm during run at last weekend oly race at 7000 ft elevation. Highest I have measured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my max is 205. I’m 36.

Recorded this year up to 203. RHR is around 46.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Age and max recorded HR [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible for your max HR to decrease with age but stabilize or increase with training? I been using a HRM since the first one that Polar came out with, and in my 20s my max was 191. Over the years my max seemed to drop to the mid160s, but when my training was strong I would see mid 170s. I’m having a great training year and saw a 177 the other day. This makes HR training sort of strange for me because using the low max puts me in zone 5, but putting in the high max makes zone 4 to difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: Age and max recorded HR [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the years my max seemed to drop to the mid160s,//

Over how many years, how old were/are you? IT's entirely possible you just didnt know your max for awhile, and now you are where you ought to be. Unless you are 60+, that seems like a natural progression. In my 20's mine was around 200, now at 63 it is low 160's. But it didnt go down much until about 45, and from then a pretty good progression with one blip. I thought about 3 years ago it was 158, done on a max test, but I was just not fit enough to push to my real max. Now that I am training 3 to 6 hours a week again, it seems to have come back a bit...

Maybe yours did the same, but a bigger drop and recover, that's the thing about HR's, they are pretty individual, but with some consistencies..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 61, and thinking you’re correct on not knowing my real max, and maybe not pushing as hard as possible! Have a hill workout coming up and that will be a good chance to max out on a hard climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!

that might be it, seems I am looking for something wrong to justify the high HR but everything is fine and normal.

Thanks for all the comments, knowing more people out there with same records.
Quote Reply

Prev Next