Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D.O. wrote:
I need to figure out if electronic shifting is worth it.

100%, electronic shifting is the only way to go. You will never say " I sure wish I'd gotten mechanical shifting".[/quote]
X2

By far the most favorite thing about my Tri bike when I bought a new one is Di2. Can’t ever imagine going back.

With a $10k budget zero reason to not get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
I noticed no one has mentioned Dimond yet.

At the risk of being banned, I've always heard that the Trek wasn't as "aero" as most of the other high end bikes. I'm not sure how true this is, just putting it out there.

And, what about the previous model P5? That thing was extremely quick and the frames can be purchased for a reasonable price, leaving extra cash for upgrades and customizing.
Rim P5 is a great way to go. That's what I did, too. Mine was a brand new late model year P5-3 for well under $2k. You can still find frames for around $2500. Then, add a P5-6 fork, and any cockpit to get the necessary flexibility in fit. I went with Aeria Ultimate stem/bottle, Scott top tube storage, Omega X (glued the P5 brake covers to the Omega cover), 3T Vola LTD, Enve 7.8, and 1x DuraAce with Rotor Flow cranks and WolfTooth NW ring. I believe the whole build cost me around $6k thanks to year-end sales. You could probably go with USE R1 bars, DirtyAero extensions, AXS 1x and still keep it well under $10,000. I don't think you could build anything more aero at that point.

Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the dimensions on that Scott bento?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bento is packed up because I'm in the middle of a move. If you remind me in 3 weeks, I can measure it and let you know
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I owe it to QR to say that if your fit suggests that bike will work you will have no regrets and if there is ever a problem I cannot imagine a better company to sort your problem

Simply amazing customer service
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
I agree with avoiding the FLO's. I had them for a couple of years and had issues with width on bike frames and tires fitting. I love my ENVE's.

Can I ask what frame you had?

Thanks,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I'm in a strange situation, I was not planning to buy a new bike so I'm totally out of touch with new bikes. The last time I bought a bike was 2003! To keep from getting into a long story, I was just handed $10k with the provision that it be spent on a new tri bike. Wow, where do I start? What do I want?
  • I will schedule a bike fit ASAP to get my measurements.
  • I'm 6'1" and 173 lbs, 8% body fat (according to Garmin scale), average flexibility.
  • I do not have any race wheels
  • I'm only doing short distance tri until the kids get just a little older (probably 2 years), then I'll be back to HIM.
  • I'm only doing tri, nothing else.
  • In the past, I've ridden mostly flat courses and where I live the highest elevation gain is an overpass.

I'm your size and I have a Trek Speed Concept. Fits great. What ever you do get Di2/E-tap. It matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9.5. I believe I purchased the FLO's in 2014. I had major issues using the FLO wheels with the Continental tires (my fav) - the tires would rub on the Trek frame to the point they would blow within a few rides (holes in the tires). I switched to Vittoria tires and found it was an absolute nightmare to try to fit the tire on the wide Flo's. I couldn't change a Vittoria tire on the wheels. Neither could my bike coach and my bike mechanic. So, I had to sell the Flo wheels.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Aug 6, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why didn't you just get different tires?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why didn't you just get different tires?

He had issues with two of the most popular brand tires. I would have ditched the wheels too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
I had a 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9.5. I believe I purchased the FLO's in 2014. I had major issues using the FLO wheels with the Continental tires (my fav) - the tires would rub on the Trek frame to the point they would blow within a few rides (holes in the tires). I switched to Vittoria tires and found it was an absolute nightmare to try to fit the tire on the wide Flo's. I couldn't change a Vittoria tire on the wheels. Neither could my bike coach and my bike mechanic. So, I had to sell the Flo wheels.

Thank you for the feedback. That's the first time I've heard of any fit issues on a Trek Speed Concept. Regardless, we appreciate this type of info.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 Speed Concept 7 or 7.5, running a Flo disc wheel in back with 25mm GP4000’s. Not rubbing issues at all. Just another data point.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I have a 2015 Speed Concept 7 or 7.5, running a Flo disc wheel in back with 25mm GP4000’s. Not rubbing issues at all. Just another data point.

Thanks.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
The silence is deafening regarding aero data on the SLX

Awesome bike though...

I would tend to agree. Gorgeous looking bike in the flesh, but I have no confidence that it's the market leader aerodynamically; they simply sponsor the best long course athletes.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to be a bit different so what I would do would be to buy the new Trek SC frame and build it up with the new Campy 12 speed EPS Super Record group. Which is exactly what I hope to do this off season.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next