Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do You Forage?
Quote | Reply
blackberries are ripe in my local woodlands. I'll grab these, wild apples, garlic and chives, hazelnuts (which aren't good raw but hey they're free)

do you forage?
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only mushrooms, really. I may grab the occasional handful of wild blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, cherries or the like while hiking and immediately eat them, but the only thing I'll collect in meaningful amounts to carry home and produce a meal from is mushrooms.
Not quite in season yet, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was on a walk last night here with my wife, here in the Cotswolds where we are staying, and I sampled some Raspberries. 1/10 was ripe. I really have a hankering for the big ass snails I see crawling. Unfortunately, these are Roman snails that are endangered, or so I have been told by a local.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only whilst on holiday. Unless you count fishing as foraging. Next week we are in Finland so we should be foraging. When I was a kid wild black raspberries and rouge asparagus. Also mulberries.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done it for apples.

Big thing around here seems to be for Fiddleheads in the spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chanterelles? Chicken mushroom season lasted like a few hours here I think bc of rain. Need to get some hen of the woods too. Finally had beared tooth for the first time. Waiting to find a bag full of black trumpets again.

We also pick black raspberries quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I’ve done it for apples.

Yeah I’ve never heard of fiddleheads until this year. Some lady was picking them in a conservation area. (Not sure if that’s ok or not...)

Anyway, I forage the raspberries that grow in my backyard. That’s about it.

My 2 year old loves them. And also calls them strawberries.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Germany, summer has been very dry (again). I didn't find any chanterelles, field mushroom or puffballs so far (although I didn't look very systematically yet, to be honest). Later in the year I go mostly hunting for penny bun, bay bolete and saffron milk cap. Nice taste and texture, and not much danger of mixing them up with anything unpleasant :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not actively, but passively while hunting and fishing. I will spend some time looking for morels turkey hunting if I get bored and the birds aren't talking.

Last year was my first time bear hunting, which is early in September, when it can be rather hot. In Minnesota we hunt over bait, which gives you a chance to watch a bear long enough to know 2 things: one, that it is a male and not a sow with cubs; two, you can spend some time judging the size.

Any how, last year when we were baiting (2 weeks prior to the season opening) it was 90 degrees and we packed bait in 3 miles on foot. I was out of water and food and a mile away from the truck yet. That was when I could have been mistaken for a bear tromping through a raspberry patch gorging my self on their sweet nectar. I have never had raspberries that sweet and life giving.

This year it sounds like the berries are 2 to 4 weeks behind due to a cold wet spring and a very wet summer. I will have to do some 'shroom looking when we start baiting in 2 weeks.

Everything you take from the woods on your own volition seems to taste so much better, be it meat or vegetable.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
I’ve done it for apples.

Yeah I’ve never heard of fiddleheads until this year. Some lady was picking them in a conservation area. (Not sure if that’s ok or not...)

Anyway, I forage the raspberries that grow in my backyard. That’s about it.

My 2 year old loves them. And also calls them strawberries.

I've tried them and frankly don't see the appeal. Poor man's version of asparagus and I grow more asparagus than I can eat.
Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot I used to do fiddleheads to. Now I eat a few of the ones growing in my backyard.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does hunting count? The MOP house virtually never buys meat at the store. Organic, free-range, non-GMO, grass-fed, antibiotic-free deer and elk venison are our staples, supplemented by Kokanee Salmon and an occasional wild turkey.

If that doesn't make the cut, Mrs_MOP just returned from the forest with a gallon of wild huckleberries. :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 2, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some, but only if/when I come across things.

Berries and fruit. Some mushrooms (chicken of the woods is the only thing i'm confident enough to eat). Unfortunately Texas is not a bountiful place for wild fruit.

About 50% of my meat/protein diet comes from wild game I harvest (pig/deer/fish) and eggs from my chickens in the backyard. Thinking of taking this to 100%.

Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Not actively, but passively while hunting and fishing. I will spend some time looking for morels turkey hunting if I get bored and the birds aren't talking.

Last year was my first time bear hunting, which is early in September, when it can be rather hot. In Minnesota we hunt over bait, which gives you a chance to watch a bear long enough to know 2 things: one, that it is a male and not a sow with cubs; two, you can spend some time judging the size.

Any how, last year when we were baiting (2 weeks prior to the season opening) it was 90 degrees and we packed bait in 3 miles on foot. I was out of water and food and a mile away from the truck yet. That was when I could have been mistaken for a bear tromping through a raspberry patch gorging my self on their sweet nectar. I have never had raspberries that sweet and life giving.

This year it sounds like the berries are 2 to 4 weeks behind due to a cold wet spring and a very wet summer. I will have to do some 'shroom looking when we start baiting in 2 weeks.

Everything you take from the woods on your own volition seems to taste so much better, be it meat or vegetable.

A couple of years ago I was running hail claims on Omaha on a day when it was 100 out. I had seen several claims already when I got on the roof of a garage. They had a mulberry tree that had some ripe berries on it. I ate a couple. It was amazing how much those few berries picked me up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Do You Forage? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanterelles? they're gorgeous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
chanterelles? they're gorgeous
Yes, the only foraged mushroom I trust myself to eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forage weekly for food at the local soup kitchen where I volunteer regularly. Today I got lobster tails, salmon, steak and tuna, all of which will be given away. With so much food wasted, I am able to take whatever wanted to pass onto others.

Quote | Reply
I had no idea there were wild garlic and chives. We have blackberries in the yard that I'll pick.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll eat apples and berries of known kind that I find.
Quote Reply