Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another One: David McGrimm Jr.
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

Quote:
During NONA Cycle’s Saturday Ride, David McGrimm Jr was hit while on his bike by a truck, which resulted in him losing his life. David was an U.S. Marine Corps veteran, who joined NONA Cycle to help with his physical and mental rehabilitation following paralysis. David left behind his wife and 9 year old son.

Quote:
Paul Pikel, who founded the Cycle Nona group three years ago, said he was pedaling about 20 feet behind McGrinn when the crash happened. He watched the truck veer into the bike lane, hovering for several seconds and sending McGrinn flying.

“I know I said ‘oh my god, oh my god, what is happening?’” Pikel recalled Wednesday. “The impact was incredibly hard."

Pikel said McGrinn was a frequent rider with the group on Saturday mornings, and was having a particularly strong ride Saturday. He wore a Marines kit every week.

I got a chance to meet David a few years ago at a Central Florida TT Series event. Very nice guy. I know the road he was hit on: Heintzelman Boulevard has a pretty generous bike lane and it isn't that busy (for central Florida) especially when they were riding. I can only think that the truck driver wasn't paying attention (texting or something) and drifted into his lane. RIP David.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Aug 1, 19 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Another One: David McGrimm Jr. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Condolences to the family and Rest In Peace.

Can you talk about the bike? I’ve never seen anything like that
Quote Reply
Re: Another One: David McGrimm Jr. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is so sad, and also very scary (as all of these are). May he rest in peace.

Not saying this is what happened here, but the level of inattentiveness, among drivers, is sickening. There's a busy road near me, that has a nice wide shoulder. During some of my runs, I have to run about a mile on this shoulder before veering off to my less busy route. I run against the traffic and watch the cars coming at me. Even though it is "rush hour" traffic time, it amazes me the number of people looking down at their phones while driving Either the head is down, or the driver is holding the phone up at the steering wheel, texting while attempting to drive. And its not just a few drivers. Its a large majority of the ones passing me as I run toward them on the wide shoulder. I'm truly surprised more pedestrians have not been hurt by inattentive drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Another One: David McGrimm Jr. [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
Condolences to the family and Rest In Peace.

Can you talk about the bike? I’ve never seen anything like that

Custom built on account of the fact that he only had partial functionality on one half of his body. I believe the main triangle was from a Felt AR. Edit to add: actually it was more of a "conversion" than a custom frame. Basically a custom rear axle and triangle that braced to the seat tube.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Aug 1, 19 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Another One: David McGrimm Jr. [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Wow, that is so sad, and also very scary (as all of these are). May he rest in peace.

Not saying this is what happened here, but the level of inattentiveness, among drivers, is sickening. There's a busy road near me, that has a nice wide shoulder. During some of my runs, I have to run about a mile on this shoulder before veering off to my less busy route. I run against the traffic and watch the cars coming at me. Even though it is "rush hour" traffic time, it amazes me the number of people looking down at their phones while driving Either the head is down, or the driver is holding the phone up at the steering wheel, texting while attempting to drive. And its not just a few drivers. Its a large majority of the ones passing me as I run toward them on the wide shoulder. I'm truly surprised more pedestrians have not been hurt by inattentive drivers.

The traffic by me has gotten so bad that it's basically bumper to bumper from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. It's a slow 5mph crawl. I'll often ride my mountain bike on the sidewalk (which nobody uses) up to the grocery store or gym (~2 miles away). I get quite an opportunity to look at drivers as I'm riding against traffic and I can confirm that ~1/3-1/2 drivers are looking at their phone.
Quote Reply