Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Structured Workouts with Garmin Forerunner
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I switched from the Polar V800 to the new Forerunner 945 and am struggling to find a good way to get the occasional interval set in.

With the Polar watch one could either pre-define a complete workout with steps, durations, instructions and the like or alternatively just configure and start a simple interval-timer with two different timers (distance or time) repeating until you manually stop it.

With Garmin I see something very similar to the first thing, but nothing too close to the second. Yes, there is also a simple A-B-A-B-A-B... kind of interval, but it CAN NOT BE CONFIGURED AND STARTED (potentially multiple times with different interval lengths) DURING the workout.
Which is ironic because on the contrary and much to the detriment of user-interface simplicity, you can do pretty much ANYTHING else DURING a workout (access the main menu and change God-knows-which settings, change the screens for the current activity and even rename it for cryin' out loud...)

So basically when I go out on my bike
* I have to already decide before I start (and potentially realize that I have bad legs) exactly which intervals I'm gonna do
* I always have to pre-configure them
* I can only do one preconfigured set (without starting a new session)

Also as an example in swimming, I liked to set a simple interval-timer to just give me my start times for say a set of 100s and then configure a new timer for the following set of 200s. No way of doing that now as far as I can see.

Am I missing something?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Structured Workouts with Garmin Forerunner [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be facetious, but I don't know what your talking about honestly. Could you post an example workout? I have workouts in mine all the time and have made some fairly complex ones. If you want to skip an interval hit your lap button.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Structured Workouts with Garmin Forerunner [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to decide on the fly what kind of interval I want to do. After having started the session!

Basically:
  • Start Riding (without having set up anything beforehand)
  • Get out of city, arrive at your favorite road/hill/... for intervals
  • Realize you have bad/god legs or only x amount of time left before it gets dark etc.
  • Think: ok: I think I'll do 4x5mins@FTP with 3 mins rest
  • Quickly set that sort of interval up on the watch and start it
  • On way home you realize that you wnat to do 5x30'' one-leg drills
  • Quickly set that sort of interval up on the watch and start it
  • Ride home in peace.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Aug 1, 19 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha, so I have created intervals on the fly in the watch, but usually for running. I took a look at the bike settings though, but they look similar. You probably have seen that its in the options -> training -> intervals, then you can edit it for how many and how long, but I am only seeing the ability to do it by distance or time.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Structured Workouts with Garmin Forerunner [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. They key here is the "during the activity" part for me.

I also see the possibility to configure intervals before starting the workout from the "button-up"-Options screen, which includes the Items: Courses, My workouts, Intervals, Run Settings,...
This menu is however different from the "long-press-menu"-Options screen: Run settings, Training, Navigation, [Rest of the main menu]

However: Once I have started a run/ride, only the latter of the two is accessible and exactly the "Training"-item (where the workouts and intervals live) is gone from it...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Aug 1, 19 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, can't start a workout during a session. Just start a new session if it's that important to you or just use the lap button. The only type of workout where that gets really cumbersome is a 30"/30" where you may not be paying close attention after a few of them. But on a 4x5(3), it's no big deal to just use the lap button. You'll want to setup a screen for lap time and lap metrics if you don't already (assuming you would already have that).
Quote Reply
Re: Structured Workouts with Garmin Forerunner [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that is what I've done so far. But then:
  • what's the point of having the super-duper wonder-watch if you have to do these things manually
  • I know it is anal, but when I go very hard in an intervall, I like to focus on not crashing/crying the second it ends and not on fumbling with a button...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply